Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 87766 times)

Have you tried West Country Recumbents  :thumbsup:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Gearing:-
With a 20" wheel I would stick with the standard 9-32 rear but in front either go 48-36-22 or 44-32-22.
Dropping the inner ring from the standard 26 to a 22 gives you another gear down, 15"->12.5".
I find thats very handy on hills with a full touring load.
Then someting in the 48-44 range for the big ring.
With a 48 you'll spin out at just over 30 mph, 44 at just under.
A 44 will give you a slightly better jump for small to middle but I don't think there much in it.

Tyres:-
I use Marathon Racers on my Trice Q pumped up to 55 psi.
Ifound that if you pump them up to their max pressure of 85 psi, then unless the road is very smooth you get to much road buzz.
I've never used Marathon Superemes, but at my next full tyre change I may try a set.
I've used Marathon Pluses. I have a devil of a job to get them on and off single handed. Plus they give a harder ride than the Racers.
I've also used Kojaks, fast but not very hard wearing.
I find that unless I've knocked te front tracking out of line, then the front tyres will last around twice as long as the backs.
If the tracking is out then you can go though a front tyre in a couple of hundred miles, don't ask me how I know that.
I tend to get rear wheel puntures. Two in ~4.5k miles the last back tyre lasted.
But I also tend to ride fairly far out from the gutter so both front wheels tend to be on the bits of road cleared by car wheels.

Have you not tried a Big Apple, run at around 75psi, gives a good amount of cushioning with good fairy protection and is not hard to fit/remove. Crikey, I'm sounding like a tyre salesman  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
What is the puncture situation with trikes, anyway?  Much less weight on each tyre...

Yeah, but also 50% more tyre, and 300% more tracks to pick up punctury stuff. I hear velomobile riders most often have the roadside front tyre punctured. Which is the right here on the continent, but presumably the front left in your place.

I've only ever had one faery visitation on Regina....

I have Marathon Plus on all three wheels.  They're relatively easy to get on and off in the 20" size, compared to the 26" and 700c sizes.  Plus with the Trice you dont have to take the front wheel off to sort out p*n*t*r*s. :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
On the tyre changing with non standard thumbs thing, have a look at this link:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28167.msg511847#msg511847

which has a devilishly clever way of getting tyres on without hurty thumbs.

Idea by mrcharly
Demoed by Pippa
Shoes model's own
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
...  Plus with the Trice you dont have to take the front wheel off to sort out p*n*t*r*s. :thumbsup:

...and with Speedy you don't have to take any wheel off to fix a puncture.   ;D  ::-)
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Don't underestimate the longevity of a fat tyre with medium pressures. I've ridden 30-odd miles with a hawthorn stuck right through a 1.5" tyre - I only lost about 10psi. Unless you get a big cut, it can take ages for a fat tyre to go flat.

The fatter the tyre, the lower the pressure you can get away with - tigerbiten's 55psi sounds good to me. Anyone who tried following him down hills can vouch that he ain't no slouch.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
On the tyre changing with non standard thumbs thing, have a look at this link:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28167.msg511847#msg511847

I've tried that a few times now (indeed, had a brief attempt last night when it became obvious that barakta didn't stand a chance of doing it by hand), but never actually managed to get it to work.

TBH it's not that final bit that wrecks her hands - she's going to end up using some kind of tool to get the required force regardless (and if that makes rims a wear component, then so be it) - it's the cumulative effort of sliding a tyre lever round to remove the bead, working the new tube into the tyre so it doesn't get snagged, massaging the tyre/tube round the rim to ensure the bead is seated properly, faffing about with valves, operating a pump and/or CO2 inflator, and so on.  The steps that most people would do without thinking are probably equivalent to fighting with the last bit of bead on a Marathon Plus for you or I in terms of the amount of total hand strength and stamina she has available.

That's the problem with most of barakta's disabilities (including balance and hearing) - it's not so much a matter of what she can and can't do but more about what she can do for how long if she wants to avoid damage or be able to do anything else in the immediate future.  She could just about change a tyre and that would be her hand stamina for the day, so no chopping or stirring, intensive mousing, sorting papers, sock-pairing or any of the squillions of other daily tasks that she can usually do a bit of.  Spoon theory is a very useful model.

...Which is what really impressed me about the Trice.  Get the setup right and it's entirely possible for her to use the entire steering range (yes, I appreciate full lock is rarely needed - I do cycle) without any shoulder dislocations.  Being able to ride all day and still be able to wash your hair and tie your shoes afterwards without assistance.  Fantastic.

I'm a bit late back to the party, but my pen'orth for what it's worth...

Mudguards. Yes, I manage. But that is mainly due to that fact that for most of the time I've owned the trike, it was mudguards or eating, moneywise.  I think a set is moving up my wishlist as the current account accumulates.  I may see if MFWHTBAB will do me some nice laminate ones....  I find that I get dotted with spatters on my arms, rather than gathering a puddle, but the odd spatter gets my face, and while I'm not a fussy type, I'd rather not eat too much mud.

Also, it is more sociable for anyone you're riding with - an upright rider tucking in just to one side of the rear wheel could get a face full.

Tyres. I have Kojaks all round, and in 1800 miles odd, have had one flat, a nearside front, presumably from something I ran over in an urban York gutter (it was an instant deflation event).  I thought it would be hell to get the tyre off, being a small wheel (16") and a 'racy' tyre, but in fact I found it very easy, perhaps the easiest of any I've done.  Levers to get it off, but thumbs alone to get it back, unusual for me.  They do roll beautifully.   (I do appreciate that you're going for the 'no need to fix ever' option, as opposed to 'low risk', but I was very surprised at how easy I found the Kojaks.)

The lowish pressure/big tyres thing is a good point. My winter hack has Big Apples, and last winter, thanks to a bad back, my tyre pumping up regime went to pot for about 2 months.  By the time I got round to it, they were down to 1 bar, and still rolling, without damage.

I think p*ncture rate can be moderated by riding technique. One of the guys I tour France with rides all his machines into the ground, and always comes top of the list in the group for flats. Along with bearings disintegrating, bits falling off etc. He does ride 1000s of miles, but he also seems hard on the machines.

Anyway, it's all very exciting! ;D
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Thanks for that - useful feedback.

I think barakta would kill me, or at least force me to ride behind at close range, if I even suggested molishing mudguards out of wood :)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Thanks for that - useful feedback.

I think barakta would kill me, or at least force me to ride behind at close range, if I even suggested molishing mudguards out of wood :)

Well it's you who doesn't LIKE wood.  Live by the wood, die by the wood and all that!

Just noted the avatar...

Reminds me of my viva, the examiner had an image of a foot and asked us to discuss the image.

It wasn't until I had discussed all the features that they asked me to go back to basics... And I noticed the extra toe!

Apparently ver few of the candidates had noted the extra one

barakta

Apparently ver few of the candidates had noted the extra one

I actually have missing digits (thumbs) and since I've had pollicisations (index fingers to thumbs) many people do not notice.  In fact I've been signing with people and had to point to each finger in turn counting them out so that they understand why there's something "a little bit weird about my signing".

My avatar is to restore the balance of thumb envy.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Live by the wood, die by the wood and all that!

That's Jesus.  I prefer Rincewind's philosophy of having a mutual agreement of not going near wood and the wood not splitting.   ;D

I should point out that the mudguards you saw weren't even wood, they were hardboard!  And had been knocked up in an afternoon.  I'm thinking of something more in the fine cabinet making line.  Perhaps with polished brass fittings, in a steam yacht stylee....

MFWHTBAB has at home a chair and table he made in his furniture course, which Prince Charles sat in once. That's not made of hardboard, I should add.

But I digress. If you're getting a set up direct from Kevin, then yes, get the 'guards. Unless Barakta fanices the random leopard look.

Hmmm.  <ponders leopard print hi-vis coat>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I should point out that the mudguards you saw weren't even wood, they were hardboard!

When your woodwork skills are as poor as mine, hardboard counts!

Hmmm.  <ponders leopard print hi-vis coat>

A cheetah print one would go faster (though you might get funny looks for having your back wheel in the right place)  ;)

I should point out that the mudguards you saw weren't even wood, they were hardboard!

Me too, I put screws in with a hammer...

Beardy

• Shedist

And what's wrong with that? The Manchester screwdriver is a very versatile tool :D

Mind you, I do wonder what a set of laminated wooden 'fenders' would look like on the Grasshopper, with fittings in Verdigris copper. (My Gh is that lovely shade of brilliant green :) )
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

And what's wrong with that? The Manchester screwdriver is a very versatile tool :D

Mind you, I do wonder what a set of laminated wooden 'fenders' would look like on the Grasshopper, with fittings in Verdigris copper. (My Gh is that lovely shade of brilliant green :) )

I think the right trike would look very nice in a steampunk style...

(BTW, I skim read Gh as Gf, and wondered why you had a green girlfriend....)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος

I think the right trike would look very nice in a steampunk style...

The Brass Lion - Steampunk Recumbent | The Steampunk Workshop ;D

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Loving the coach lamps!

(BTW, I skim read Gh as Gf, and wondered why you had a green girlfriend....)

I'm glad it wasn't just me then!
Actually, it is rocket science.

has Barakta decided yet, colour/wheel size etc etc  :)

barakta

has Barakta decided yet, colour/wheel size etc etc  :)

Probably Red, 20" wheels etc.  Just waiting to hear back from Kevin :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The colour thing's a serious issue.  Obviously we're both fans of BLACK, but the ICE red is a particularly lovely shade (to my protanopic eye), and barakta seems to agree.  Also, judging by the photos of the Vortex on the ICE website, the mixture of matte and gloss blacks just isn't as sexy as matte black and shiny red.

More importantly I reckon that having a red trike offsets the extra rolling resistance of Marathon Plus tyres.  What's not to like?