Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 87706 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...
« Reply #250 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »
I was particularly impressed that they do a 24" version.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #251 on: 31 October, 2011, 07:45:50 pm »
Woot! :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #252 on: 01 November, 2011, 03:35:55 pm »
If you have trouble finding parts to mod the trike, try contacting ICE directly.
They easily found all the parts to mod mine.
This includes ordering from Taiwan the dual hydralic brakes opperated off one lever.
They normally have a very light touch but I under very heavy brakes I've found I can lift the back wheel ......  ::-)

Plus I've got a full hight shifter for my Rolhoff.

I'll hopefully see you on the Whitstable with it ...........  ;D

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #253 on: 01 November, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »
Heh, I don't think it'll be delivered and built by then - or that I'll have the legs, but I definitely look forward to seeing you and others at some other mad ride!

« Reply #254 on: 01 November, 2011, 07:56:34 pm »
i am looking forward to coming out on a potter with you soon then  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #255 on: 01 November, 2011, 10:43:09 pm »
i am looking forward to coming out on a potter with you soon then  :thumbsup:
+1

« Reply #256 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:43:40 pm »
(Consensus seems to be that you only need one on the rear wheel.)

That's interesting, I have my Marathon Winters ready to go on my trike(s) and decided on 3, one for traction on the back and 2 for stopping on the front.  It's hilly and often snowy and icy hereabouts in winter so being able to stop seemed a good idea.  ::-)Have I missed something?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #257 on: 02 November, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »
My understanding is that the lack of weight over the rear wheel means that while you may have some traction on the front, you're not going to get moving in the first place due to wheelspin.  Obviously three studded tyres are going to be better, but given that it's not going to flip out from under you like a two-wheeler, one on the back may be 'enough'.

Given the cost of the things, it seems worth trying a single one on the back first.

« Reply #258 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »
Given the cost of the things, it seems worth trying a single one on the back first.
+1
I have no experience of recumbent trikes, but quite a lot of uprights.
You'll manage (mostly) fine with ordinary tyres on the front. You might slide, but you won't roll. Just don't try cornering at 40mph.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #259 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:14:12 pm »
I've slid about a bit in the snow and ice on my trike and it's a lot of fun. I agree you need ice spikes on the back to make any progress up a snow packed hill, however I reasoned if my front tyres don't adhere to the ice/snow then I'm not going to very good at stopping.  Maybe I'm being overcautious.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #260 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:43:52 pm »
We've just taken delivery of the dual-pull brake lever for the baraktacycle.  It includes a parking brake pin which seems barakta-friendly, so I'm wondering about putting the rear brake (going to upgrade the standard V to a disc brake I've got lying around just for the hell of it) on a standard lever on the left for handbrake turn enhanced control in slippery conditions and drag brake purposes.

We previously determined that with appropriate reach adjustment, barakta *can* operate a brake lever with her left hand, but not as quickly or forcefully as with the right.  Hence the tandem lever for decent control of the primary brakes.

« Reply #261 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:47:03 pm »
That will help, a brake on the wheel with the sticky tyre is a good plan!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #262 on: 02 November, 2011, 03:51:13 pm »
Indeed.  The ability to let the primary brakes cool off on a long descent without exceeding R17 is also likely to be desirable!

« Reply #263 on: 02 November, 2011, 05:17:50 pm »
A back wheel brake is usefull as a parking brake and can be used carefully as a drag brake.
But unless you have a lot of weight on the back wheel, don't expect the brake to have a lot of stopping power.
Last winter when my front brakes cables froze solid, I had to rely on the back brake as my only stopping power.
It was "FUN" taking upto 10x longer to stop due to the back wheel just skidding under even modderate braking.

« Reply #264 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:21:41 pm »
A back wheel brake is usefull as a parking brake and can be used carefully as a drag brake.
But unless you have a lot of weight on the back wheel, don't expect the brake to have a lot of stopping power. ...

On my old Trice, the parking brake lever had two stages, a bit on and fully on.  You could cycle it moderately well with the lever in it's "a bit on" location, and just eventually wonder why it was such hard work.  It would move with the lever fully on, but that was pretty obvious, so not such an issue.

That Trice did seem to have the weight a lot more over the front wheels than the current generations do (this was a Peter Ross 2nd generation aluminium Trice), and it was quite easy to lift the rear wheel with moderately hard braking, so would have been even worse for snowy traction.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #265 on: 02 November, 2011, 06:28:00 pm »
Last winter when my front brakes cables froze solid,

I have had this several times, this summer (in readiness for winter) I have fitted Middleburn oilers  :)
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #266 on: 02 November, 2011, 07:04:50 pm »
On my old Trice, the parking brake lever had two stages, a bit on and fully on.  You could cycle it moderately well with the lever in it's "a bit on" location, and just eventually wonder why it was such hard work.  It would move with the lever fully on, but that was pretty obvious, so not such an issue.

I made this mistake after swapping to the Sprint (I'd been mucking about on a fully-suspended Adventure) at D-Tek and seeing what it was like when you went flat out on a decent road.  I thought it was respectably quick *before* I discovered the parking brake was partially on  :D

« Reply #267 on: 02 November, 2011, 08:04:12 pm »
Last winter when my front brakes cables froze solid,

I have had this several times, this summer (in readiness for winter) I have fitted Middleburn oilers  :)
New trike has hydralic brakes so they shouldn't freeze.
Plus they are more powerfull with less effort, I can lift the back wheel under very heavy braking.
I just hot I don't boil them keeping the speed down on steep twisty decents when you cannot just let the trike run.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #268 on: 02 November, 2011, 08:06:35 pm »
I just hot I don't boil them keeping the speed down on steep twisty decents when you cannot just let the trike run.

If anyone can...   ;D

« Reply #269 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:47:05 am »

If anyone can...   ;D
But I only burnt one pair of brake calipers out on my old trike ......  :demon:

« Reply #270 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:12:07 pm »
I've slid about a bit in the snow and ice on my trike and it's a lot of fun. I agree you need ice spikes on the back to make any progress up a snow packed hill, however I reasoned if my front tyres don't adhere to the ice/snow then I'm not going to very good at stopping.  Maybe I'm being overcautious.

I tried this on the Catrike last year and one tyre works well up to a point.

Traction is fine and it gets you going. The Marathon Winter is also as adaptable. Pump it up and it runs like a Marathon Plus, but with a buzz. Let the pressure down and the spikes come into play. SO they can be used through the winter season.

However I had two problems. At one point there is a slope that has a camber as well. I used to slide on this. Secondly on the steep hill coming down from work I found that braking was impossible as the front wheels simply slid.

As a result I equipped the front with Winters as well.

I will be repeating the process this year with both the Catrike and Gekko.

However it does take away the fun of a smooth ice area or fresh snow as you cannot slide and turn in the same way

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #271 on: 03 November, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »
Letter from Oliver at London Recumbents with receipt of what I've paid so far and costs breakdown for me + handwritten note saying delivery to them expected early next week, an email will be sent to me to let me know for delivery at my end (which is polite for "and you can pay us the rest of the moniez) :)

« Reply #272 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:13:57 pm »
 :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #273 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:15:54 pm »
So, if I'm quick at fettling, you'll be able to ride to Whitstable afterall   :thumbsup: :P

« Reply #274 on: 03 November, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »
Brilliant news!  :D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.