Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 86276 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...
« Reply #325 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:41:20 pm »
Did it come red, or have you been sacrificing copiously? 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #326 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:41:23 pm »
Oh awesome, it looks brilliant! I bet you both can't wait for the test ride  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #327 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:43:19 pm »
Did it come red, or have you been sacrificing copiously?

Copiously - that's a great name for a cat.  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #328 on: 14 November, 2011, 08:56:17 pm »
Your home looks about as untidy as mine, and there's only one person living here  :-[

That is Kim's bike storage room aka where all the crap is piled.  That's *her* mess :D

I keep my mess in the dining room next door which is mostly activism crap  :-\

« Reply #329 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:17:04 pm »
It looks like the clearance between the mudguard and the tyre is pretty small, so you wouldn't want to use it on fresh snow, because I suspect the gap would fill with snow and jam the wheel quite rapidly.
There's some room for adjustment there, but I wasn't anticipating much in the way of fresh snow anyway.  Re-frozen ice is far more common.

That's what I guessed.  If you feel the need to use it in heavy fresh snow, then you can always remove the mudguard.

Your home looks about as untidy as mine, and there's only one person living here  :-[

Chez Kim/Barakta is far tidier than Chez TimO/Kai/Zev.  I've still got boxes which I haven't unpacked from when I moved in four years ago!
Actually, it is rocket science.

barakta

« Reply #330 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:28:12 pm »
We have stuff that lives in boxes deliberately from when we moved about 3.5 years ago.  Why unpack when you can keep geek crap IN the boxes :D  Style, what is this thing you call style.  Magnolia Landlord decor, dodgy umpteenth hand curtains on the curtain rails which haven't fallen out of the wall yet and black metal shelving full of boxes of tech and L/HQT.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #331 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:30:36 pm »
Who cares about that stuff?  We've got some cool bikes!

« Reply #332 on: 14 November, 2011, 09:40:28 pm »
Looks around at plastic boxes full of LP's, an entire nest of battery chargers, 2 weeks worth of clean clothes piled on an armchair (hiding other stuff beneath) and more books than I've time to read.... :facepalm:

I also appear to have taken Quentin Crisp's advice regarding dusting to heart  ;D

The cool bikes are in the hall outside the flat, with a very chunky chain to make sure they stay there!
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #333 on: 15 November, 2011, 06:47:45 am »
C'mon, c'mon....

Aren't you up yet to finish fettling?

:thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #334 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:55:35 am »
This is awesomely fabulous news.  We definitely news that YACF Christmas meet now  ;D8)

« Reply #335 on: 15 November, 2011, 08:24:57 am »
Haven't you finished already?  ;D :P
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #336 on: 15 November, 2011, 08:29:24 am »
So when's the first West Mids ride? :D
Getting there...

« Reply #337 on: 15 November, 2011, 09:08:14 am »
Chez Kim/Barakta is far tidier than Chez TimO/Kai/Zev.  I've still got boxes which I haven't unpacked from when I moved in four years ago!

None of you have seen my place!

As for the trike: Yay! indeed :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  ;D

If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #338 on: 15 November, 2011, 10:28:01 am »
looking good  :thumbsup:. :)
the slower you go the more you see

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #339 on: 15 November, 2011, 11:58:43 am »
Excitement - I loved putting mine together

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #340 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:06:54 pm »
Okay, we now have brakes and gears, in a barakta-friendly configuration.  There are now an awful lot of cables on the right handlebar, but the steering appears content to stay put, having re-routed the right side brake cable as per Auntie Helen's advice.  I've routed the cable to the bar-end shifter externally for now.  If barakta decides to keep that configuration I'll drill a hole in the bar and route it down the middle.

Also, cycle computer - which took a couple of hours as I had to hack into the potting compound and re-wire the bracket for darkside sensor positions and then molish a dérailleur post sensor mount out of a £1 Asda pound shop camping stool.

And a Smart bracket on the rear rack, which would have been a 2 minute job if it hadn't taken so long to find an appropriate set of hex-head screws.

I'll put the chain on shortly...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #341 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »
I ended up buying ICE's own cycle computer mount. On the old Trice Q, with drum brakes, there was a handy bar to put the sensor on but with the disks no joy. Still, that extra wasn't tooooo expensive, fortunately!

Really exciting that it's nearly ready!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

barakta

« Reply #342 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:23:33 pm »
 :D  I knew I'd find an update on here cos I can't see what Kim's up to on IRC other than the front door open at 13:11.

« Reply #343 on: 15 November, 2011, 03:56:38 pm »
So when's the first West Mids ride? :D

+1
I can make this weekend but I cannot make the next one ............ :demon:

Congrats on the new trike.
It looks like its going together nicely ...........  ;D :thumbsup:

« Reply #344 on: 15 November, 2011, 04:43:19 pm »
:D  I knew I'd find an update on here cos I can't see what Kim's up to on IRC other than the front door open at 13:11.

What, you don't have her fitted with an RFID device, and sensors throughout the house?  Kai and Zev may well find themselves tracked like that at some point. ;D

(...although that could well also be a Tim tracker, since they both tend to follow me around the house!)

On my old second generation Trice, I paid for a computer mount, which was a short bit of horizontal tube welded onto an upright piece fitted just in front of the seat.  It was ideally placed to view, and basically identical orientation to a mounting on a handlebar.  It cost me £10 extra or some similar small amount, and was painted to suit the rest of the frame.  Very neat.  I wonder why they don't build something like this into current bikes/trikes, it was a trivial mod and could easily be used for things like GPS instead of computers, which always also seem to be a problem on recumbents.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #345 on: 15 November, 2011, 04:58:38 pm »
It's all brilliant fettling. This bit:

Also, cycle computer - which took a couple of hours as I had to hack into the potting compound and re-wire the bracket for darkside sensor positions and then molish a dérailleur post sensor mount out of a £1 Asda camping stool.

encapsulates essence of Kim.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #346 on: 15 November, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »
I ended up buying ICE's own cycle computer mount. On the old Trice Q, with drum brakes, there was a handy bar to put the sensor on but with the disks no joy. Still, that extra wasn't tooooo expensive, fortunately!

The wheel sensor's a doddle, as it'll go on the mudguard support.  The cadence sensor requires a bit more cunning - I've basically done the same thing as I've used on the streetmachine, using one of the derailler post accessory bolts rather than a dedicated mounting point on the boom.  As ever, photos to come...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #347 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »
Okay, I'm calling it a day.

We now have a chain, a Cyo, computer and cadence sensor bracket (molished from a pound shop camping stool), Garmin mount, and a nice healthy bundle of Mr Schmidt's finest coaxial cable (some cable ties are slack in anticipation of having to replace the front gear cable with a slightly longer one pending ergo-tesitng):

Cockpit view:

All primary controls moved to the right hand, both front brakes on a single lever, bar-end shifter (I removed the spork for cable access) controls the front mech, grip shift the rear:

Bottle dynamo (I've forgotten which and I'm not going downstairs to check - whatever came up tops in my bottle dynamo research back in May), rear disc brake controlled by standard lever on the left hand (the front brake lever includes a parking lock).  Smart bracket on luggage rack.

Almost finished:

barakta

« Reply #348 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:49:08 pm »
:D  Kim has spent all day on it carefully doing the wiring and electronics and other molishing and mantling to the point where her hands don't look all that happy!

It was nice to come home to after a stressful day at work.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #349 on: 15 November, 2011, 07:49:27 pm »
Nice mods, me likey.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.