Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 87695 times)

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
Re: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...
« Reply #375 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:38:02 pm »
Chain looks a bit ..... oh, hang on, wrong thread ...

Any chance of a few close-up shots of the dual-action brake lever and associated cableage? Or pointer to appropriate pics of same.

Enquiring minds, and all that (this has potential ramifications for n+1.51)

1 - Pugsley is far too fat to be considered a mere n+1 :)

« Reply #376 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:39:45 pm »
Looks awesome!   :thumbsup:

Kim,  have you wired two dyno-powered Pixeo's together and if so, in parallel or series?   I wouldn't mind doing something similar myself with a B&M toplight and a Pixeo or B&M Seculite.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #377 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:40:29 pm »
Congratulations barakta!  Sounds like a most promising start.   :D

+1
 :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #378 on: 16 November, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
Chain looks a bit ..... oh, hang on, wrong thread ...

Any chance of a few close-up shots of the dual-action brake lever and associated cableage? Or pointer to appropriate pics of same.

Here's a photo of the right-hand controls as is.  I'll get one of the cable run when I next have the seat off.

The cable from the bar-end shifter is currently just flapping about, but when we've decided that that's how it'll stay, I'll drill a hole to route it under the grip and through the middle of the bar.

And yes, the chain is actually a bit slack.  I erred on the side of caution when shortening it, on the basis that we'd probably tweak the boom length.  Only an issue in small/small.

Kim,  have you wired two dyno-powered Pixeo's together and if so, in parallel or series?   I wouldn't mind doing something similar myself with a B&M toplight and a Pixeo or B&M Seculite.

They're in parallel, off the rear light output of the Cyo, which is a switched, senso version, in anticipation of a hub dynamo at some point in future.  I didn't think of wiring them in series, but that might be problematic given the bottle dynamo seems to limit to ~8V internally.  (Ideally I'd hack the zeners out, so the Cyo could make use of the extra voltage, but it didn't seem particularly enthusiastic about coming apart non-destructively.)

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #379 on: 16 November, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
Good luck with the Mirrycle, I find they give up within a few months (something within them cracks so you can't do them up tight enough to stop them flopping). I've still got the one ICE sent me with Alfie.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #380 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:17:08 pm »
It was good - very nice not to feel like my shoulders will never go back into joint again which is what upwrongs do to me.  Main issue is I have no leg fitness at all so my dodgy leg is complaining a bit - but hopefully improving my fitness will sort that. 

:D  :thumbsup: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (tirednow)

arkta
« Reply #381 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:36:01 pm »
Good luck with the Mirrycle, I find they give up within a few months (something within them cracks so you can't do them up tight enough to stop them flopping). I've still got the one ICE sent me with Alfie.

The pair I have have got 11,000 miles on them including cobbles and the odd bridleway (yes on a Q-NT) and no problems.
              (I also have to fold them in to get the trike in the shed - on a daily basis)

Best wishes Barakta, leg strength will come quickly but just go gently until it does

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #382 on: 16 November, 2011, 08:58:26 pm »
Yay!
Getting there...

« Reply #383 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:36:20 pm »
K and B, what a positive thread!  Hope you'll both have lots of fun!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #384 on: 16 November, 2011, 11:42:21 pm »
Much  ;D-ness in this thread. I can see I should start popping into this board from time to time!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #385 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:01:53 am »
It was good - very nice not to feel like my shoulders will never go back into joint again which is what upwrongs do to me.  Main issue is I have no leg fitness at all so my dodgy leg is complaining a bit - but hopefully improving my fitness will sort that. 

The studded tyre won't have helped much - they are much harder work than a normal tyre (although I believe you are going for M+s to avoid puncture-fettling).

Congrats, that's a lovely bike.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #386 on: 17 November, 2011, 12:13:47 am »
The studded tyre won't have helped much - they are much harder work than a normal tyre (although I believe you are going for M+s to avoid puncture-fettling).

Indeed.  The ones on the front won't have helped much, either, on account of being made of grated cheese with a stated maximum pressure of 35PSI (which in the interests of sanity I obviously exceeded by a healthy margin, while wincing, with a finger in one ear).  I believe that the M+s are on their way.

Congrats, that's a lovely bike.

Isn't it just?  I've really warmed to it over the last couple of days.  That everything Just Worked says more about ICE's build quality than my fettling skills.

I'm looking forward to sticking the boom out an inch or so and taking it for a proper ride myself, once the tyres arrive.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #387 on: 17 November, 2011, 01:09:37 pm »
Yay, the Marathon Pluses just arrived  :thumbsup:

« Reply #388 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:24:56 pm »
Yay, the Marathon Pluses just arrived  :thumbsup:
And now you need 3 hands to fit them .........  ;D :P  ???

« Reply #389 on: 17 November, 2011, 05:26:01 pm »

Yay!  :thumbsup:

The legs will sort themselves out in no time I'm sure.

Congratulations!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #390 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:02:58 pm »
So, having done battle with the Marathon Pluses, I was in no mood to do any proper metalwork, so the shifter extension will have to wait.  Meanwhile, I worked out a reasonable looking way to mount a Cyclestar mirror:

interzen, here's a pic showing the rest of the cable run:

The cable from the left disc brake is zip-tied on either side of the stem.  The one from the right is unmodified, following the Auntie Helen routing.  Rear disc brake goes to left hand lever.

Mr Arch

• Maker of things! Married to Arch!
  • Gothic Arch
« Reply #391 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:15:46 pm »
It's a fantastic job, Kim.
I do like the lights on the back of the mudguards.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: arkta
« Reply #392 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:40:40 pm »

The pair I have have got 11,000 miles on them including cobbles and the odd bridleway (yes on a Q-NT) and no problems.
              (I also have to fold them in to get the trike in the shed - on a daily basis)

Best wishes Barakta, leg strength will come quickly but just go gently until it does

I had the same experience as Auntie Helen (as those at Mildenhall might recall).  I found that supperglue will fix the problem - but you then lose the ablity to move the mirror.

I bought a bar end mirror rom Halfrauds - works well  :thumbsup:
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #393 on: 17 November, 2011, 06:43:25 pm »
I was wondering how cheaply you could go for the video camera route, and you can get a 640×480 camera for less than £10 which you can talk to over I2C.  Output could then be via a Nokia 6100 display, which is 128×128, but possibly a bit too small.  It is cheap though, at less than £25.  If you wanted something brighter and larger, Cool Components do a 480×272 screen which is 4.3" across, but is £100.  Use something like a Teensy to wire them together, add a battery, and you've got a basic rear view camera system, although you'll still need to find somewhere to mount it that's visible and usable.

Say another £10 for a chunkyish rechargeable battery, another £15 for random components, and you could do it for around £10+£25+£10 ($16)+£10+£15 = £70.

You could have issues if the IO requirements conflict, IIRC the Teensy uses the same pins for I2C and SPI, so if you needed both, you'd have to talk to one of them using software drivers rather than relying on the ease of using the built in hardware and easily available libraries.  If one of the interfaces was serial, I think you'd be OK, because the Teensy's serial interface and SPI/I2C pins are separate.  Alternatively you could use one of the larger Arduino or clones, which often have significantly more IO than the fairly minimal Teensy.

You ought to be able to send data across between the camera and screen fast enough using SPI and/or I2C, although using a serial link may be a bit more challenging.  The Teensy can probably do it, since it'll operate at 16MHz if you run it at 5V (you're not supposed to run them faster than 8MHz is you need to power them at 3V, but they'll often work faster).  You could even conceivably run the video stream across to a memory card as well, if you wanted a live video feed for post accident evidence.  Talking to a SD card isn't that difficult, although I'm unsure whether you could run video to it fast enough using the SPI link only (all SD cards talk SPI, but they also use other proprietary interfaces, which aren't publicly detailed, to move data around a lot faster).

I've used Teensys quite a bit now, and they are dead easy to program.  If you could use the standard libraries to send the data between the two devices, then you would just need to write some code to convert between the data formats of the two devices (and possibly do things like automagic brightness control).  That should be a doodle.  The Teensy is basically programmed in a variant of C++ called Wiring (if you use the Arduino environment).

Needing a larger screen would bump the price up quite a bit though, unless you can find somewhere that will sell a cheap screen for a lot less than £100 (which I haven't after a cursory Google around).
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #394 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:00:33 pm »
... Needing a larger screen would bump the price up quite a bit though, unless you can find somewhere that will sell a cheap screen for a lot less than £100 (which I haven't after a cursory Google around).

I guess you could always use something like this OLED display, but it's resolution of 256×64 is significantly lower, and non-colour.  You'd have to just take a thin slice out of the camera imagery (which may be OK, after all you don't need much information vertically) and possibly dither it slightly to get some pseudo-grey scale effect.  Not ideal, but at less than 30 Euros, potentially a lot cheaper.

(I've also ignored MOQs and P&P, so that could bump the price up.  If you keep the order to PJRC low, you won't pay VAT and/or duty).

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #395 on: 17 November, 2011, 07:22:25 pm »
I hadn't looked at this thread for at least a couple of weeks, as I didn't think it would turn up so quickly.

Lots of good photos.

NICE.

Very nice.

:thumbsup:
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #396 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
I've also not looked in for a week as a result of being out of the country.

Fantastic looking machine - Congrats Barakta.

Question regarding the new mesh seat cover - does it have any features for lumbar support. I've been having back problems on mine, and although tightening and loosening appropriate straps has helped I'm hoping for a better solution.

« Reply #397 on: 17 November, 2011, 08:29:48 pm »
Oooooh! Congrats, barakta! A WARTY beckons...

I don't know much about trikes, but I certainly do know of the joy of putting Marathon Pluses on small wheels, thanks to Rob's Brommie. Ye Gods....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #398 on: 17 November, 2011, 10:59:00 pm »
Barakta said "Can we go for a bike ride?".  I suggested we ate some food, then her mum phoned and stuff.  But she still wanted to go for a bike ride, so we did.   :D

13.8km down the Rea Valley cyclepath and back, by the light of B&M's finest.  Proper tyres improved the handling significantly.  Lack of studs made the dynamo audible, but not annoyingly so.  The flag-mounted aerial meant she could hear me from a decent range without too much static.  We were slightly faster than last time.  And the LED 'runway lights' down the path were pretty as ever.  A brummie rode past while we were stopped for a legs break and made Close Encounters references.

The mirrors stayed put, but it's hard to tell how useful they are in the dark.

We also seem to have perfected the art of getting the trike through the doorway easily as a two-person lift, without having to fold any handlebars or anything.

All set for a FNRttC, I reckon!   ;D

« Reply #399 on: 17 November, 2011, 11:25:43 pm »
All set for a FNRttC, I reckon!   ;D

Yay, Southend beckons!

Southend is probably the easiest of the FNRttC routes, but it could be brisk by that point, so proper clothing is going to be a very good idea.

Worst case scenario, if barakta does find it a bit of a slog, and feels like she is slowing the ride down, I'll certainly have something close to the current route on my GPS.  I know the route to Stock for 3amses, and know the traditional route along the cinder path, as well as the alternative (which has a short sharp shock in it, but is better later on when you may meet pedestrians on the cinder path, and it's hard to argue that you didn't notice the vast number of "No Cycling" signs. ;D)  I think Simon would be fine with a small group dropping off the back, especially if I was there (having been a TEC quite a lot over the last four years!) ... but that's pretty unlikely if barakta does even a moderate amount of cycling between then and now.

With Southend, the normal problem is getting there too early, before the Cafe is open, so it's really one of the better rides to do as a first time FNRttC, even if the initial part of the ride through East London isn't exactly the most exciting and scenic of routes!

(Does barakta need CTC membership?  If so contact Simon asap for Affiliate membership via The Fridays, which is cheaper than proper CTC membership, but still needs to be put through the system by Simon, and at this point it could be getting close).