Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 87483 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...
« Reply #450 on: 26 February, 2012, 03:32:46 pm »
In what's probably a reasonable conclusion to this thread for the time being, I should document a couple of finishing touches.

Firstly, mirrors:

Here's the current mirror arrangement we're using on barakta's ICE trike. 

[snip details of bracket modification]

Not bad for a fiver a go  :thumbsup:

Then, because this is a baraktacycle we're talking about, I molished a retroreflective skull-and-cross-sporks flag, to replace the boring (and not particularly visible) ICE effort.  Red reflective tape secures the FMGenie aerial to the flagpole more securely than the cable-ties, for a nice colour-coordinated barber-pole effect:

(The Scotchlite is almost as annoying to photograph as it is to sew with, but believe me when I say it looks pretty awesome in the flesh, if not the flash.)

I've also managed to cram the ICE-supplied front reflector onto the Spacegrip, and we've tidied up the left handlebar a bit and fitted nice new foam.

Just add decent roads, good weather, CAKE and cyclists:

:thumbsup:

« Reply #451 on: 26 February, 2012, 05:35:42 pm »
Very nice  :thumbsup:
I did wonder what it was you had been sewing on the sewing thread!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...
« Reply #452 on: 27 February, 2012, 02:17:10 am »
Amazing job! And quite jealous I might add lol
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #453 on: 28 February, 2012, 09:13:30 am »

You have got to be the most awesome girlfriend ever. 

(as an ex-boat dweller, I normally have an aversion to 'pirate' flags. But spork-pirates are different).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #454 on: 28 February, 2012, 01:17:52 pm »
Yeah, I was worried that it was crossing the line into tired cliche when I was jibbling the artwork, but the sporks really do make it...

« Reply #455 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »
A cramped and indescribably tedious coach journey has just been given a glorious finale with a sighting of what can only have been the Barakta-cycle stampeding majestically down the Broad Street.

That's worth 50, right?

Also, being Broad St on a Friday night, it must also have included a fair few items from the thread title...
(I'm sure I heard cheering, too!)

:)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #456 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:35:11 pm »
That was indeed me failing to keep up with the Critical Mass ride before we bailed for home.  I'm sleep deprived, on lots of pain meds, possibly slightly lurgied and it's my busiest 6 weeks of the year at work so I'm happy with the 16.5km I did manage!

People really do like the trike and sporks flag.

« Reply #457 on: 05 October, 2012, 08:42:40 pm »
I'm impressed! Also very happy to have seen the whole assemblage out in the wild!

For the record: from the top deck of the megabus it looked more like them two-wheelers were out in front clearing the route. I'll be moderately disappointed if a second sighting doesn't include a similar vanguard.

Sleep well!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #458 on: 05 February, 2013, 02:09:01 pm »
The mirror mounting proved to be problematic:

Disaster!

Catastrophic failure of one of the b-Twin mirror stalks, just below the ball joint where the stress is greatest:

Complete arse to photograph, as it's tiny and hard to get the lighting right without proper gear, but the metal has sheared right off.  We were proceeding along a perfectly reasonable stretch of smoothish tarmac at the time, and it hadn't been bashed recently or anything.  Looks like there might be a manufacturing defect, but it's hard to tell.

That happened a second time (after I rolled the trike on a canal towpath), so evidently not a one-off failure.

The mirrors themselves are optically ideal, but something stronger was needed for the mounting.  Extensive googling revealed that the magic words are "ball stud" (though some fine-tuning of search parameters may be necessary  ;)).

Strong 8mm ball studs seem to be a common piece of gas lift attachment hardware (think car boots and the like), so I was able to obtain some with an M5 thread from a SGS Engineering.  This fits the existing socket on the back of the Decathlon mirror.

In the interests of working mirrors I obtained some 100mm zinc plated steel corner brackets from the local DIY shed, though obviously alloy would be preferable for weight reasons:

I drilled out the holes to appropriate size, cut one end down to form an 'L' shape, and gave it a few coats of black spray paint:

Closeup of mounting: M5 bolt, washer, bracket, piece of inner tube, mudguard stay, penny washer, nylock nut.  This is pleasingly secure, but I kept the cable tie around the top of the bracket to prevent rotation if bashed.

To recap, the mirror is one of these, £5 from Decathlon - we're now discarding all the supplied mounting hardware:

Here's the rider's eye shoulder view:

And from the front:

The 'L' is pointing inwards, so the mirrors are slightly inboard of the previous position.  This means they're no longer the widest point of the trike, but doesn't seem to affect the view.

It's had one test ride so far, but in conditions where barakta could barely see what was going on in front of her (dark, wet), so all we really know is that they're reasonably pothole-proof.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #459 on: 05 February, 2013, 03:04:59 pm »
Some solid fettling there.  :thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #460 on: 05 February, 2013, 04:20:27 pm »
Having finally got the crap site that is Decathlon to work, I have ordered two new mirrors.
I have some 20mm nylon rod with which to make a couple of pylons to mount on the inside of the mudguard brackets.
I shall use the same 5mm ball fitting that you have.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #461 on: 05 February, 2013, 04:50:29 pm »
Sanity check: it's an 8mm ball.  I think the original was more like 7mm, but the clamp isn't that fussy.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #462 on: 05 February, 2013, 05:08:11 pm »

In the interests of working mirrors I obtained some 100mm zinc plated steel corner brackets from the local DIY shed, though obviously alloy would be preferable for weight reasons:

Nice!

Although it may be best to stick with steel, as vibration failure may be an issue with alloy.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #463 on: 05 February, 2013, 05:09:24 pm »
You could almost do with making the bracket "T" shaped and bolting the other arm to the mudguard mounting bolt.
It may vibrate less that way.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #464 on: 05 February, 2013, 06:41:02 pm »
You could almost do with making the bracket "T" shaped and bolting the other arm to the mudguard mounting bolt.
It may vibrate less that way.

There's relatively little movement in the bracket itself (and even less in the previous attempt that failed), as it isn't sticking out that far sideways - most of that comes from the mirror, which is cantilevered out whatever you mount it on.  The main problem is that it's directly on top of the unsuspended wheel, which means it gets the full brunt of our wonderful road surfaces.  I did think about trying to isolate the mirror with some rubber washers, but couldn't find a ball stud with enough thread on it.

So over-engineering will have to do.  As long as it doesn't droop or snap off (indeed, steel is probably advantageous there), a blurry image on rough surfaces isn't really a problem - it's pretty hard not to spot a car in these mirrors.

The tyres make a fair difference - the Marathon Pluses at highish pressure for cold-weather puncture avoidance are quite harsh (and slow) compared to the Kojaks we had on over the summer.  It's quite impressive how little of the high-frequency vibration makes it through the cruciform to the seat and handlebars, really.  Another victory for steel, there.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Threadcromancy:  Nice article by barakta for the local cycling campaign about how she's been getting on:

http://pushbikes.org.uk/blog/my-trike-electric

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Very clear and informative, without either giving too much detail or skipping over things. Barakta writes well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
I did words.  Kim made them much better.  That's a good 50:50 job I'd say.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
And much better for being far too long and largely out of spec.  (They originally wanted a couple of hundred words about electric assist for the magazine, but it was easier to write that for the website.)

I may get round to writing them something more technical about electrickery later.