Author Topic: Ready the flashing lights, party poppers, dancing girls and brass band...  (Read 86276 times)

I take it that the red trice is the Sprint, and the blue one is the Adventure?

When I bought mine, you had a choice of original steel Trice, or bleeding edge new aluminium Trice (which turned out to be a whole world of pain for Peter Ross).  I had an aluminium one, and it had a number of issues, but was still stonkingly great fun. :thumbsup:

It looks like you had a good time, even aside from the various knee and road issues.

So, if you go this route, the Sprint can fold up, and presumably just sit on the ground?  I was just wondering in terms of train transporting issues, if you've got your recumbent bike hanging up (in some trains), then this doesn't conflict with a folded trike just sat on the ground.
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kevin is kin brilliant, his concern to make sure you come away with the right choice sometimes errs on the side of "do you want me to buy one or not" type thoughts  however we have two ICE from him (mine 26" Barbaras Sprint 1) and service is second to none, so chuffed for Barakta.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Yay! Excellent and exciting report!

With regard to getting through Sustrans gates, the fab thing I find is that if there one of those larger hoops for prams/wheelchairs, a narrowish trike can usually just go through it, with care - I find them easier on the trike than an upright bike for that reason, as I have a fear of clipping a pedal on the narrow bit that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

If you are fettling additional bar ends and so on, bear in mind the Terracycles Cockpit set up...

Miva Merchant: Fatal Error   

You can buy the whole set up, or just components like the t-bars or clamps.  I liked the way they'd designed the clamps to be open ended, so that you don't have to take stuff off the bars to slide them on.  Looks to be capable of a fair bit of adjustment in many angles.  Of course, a friendly engineer could probably make up bits you need, but it might help with inspiration.

Really glad it was such fun!
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I think the sprint is the best choice, mainly for lower COG, but also just looks better. It is also surprisingly usable offroad. I think only the roughest tracks would be a problem.

Agreed.  It made light work of the loose and lumpy farm track, and (tyres and traction permitting) should cope with all manner of nastiness as long as it's not lumpy enough to risk grounding the frame.  I don't see us wanting to do anything more seriously off-road than the odd Sustrans path, canal towpath or stretch of farm track, and it should cope it all of those well enough.

I'm no Fenlander - I have correct number of fingers and toes...

But not the correct number of hills...

...plus I asked Mr R's permission.

;D

I take it that the red trice is the Sprint, and the blue one is the Adventure?

Yup.

So, if you go this route, the Sprint can fold up, and presumably just sit on the ground?  I was just wondering in terms of train transporting issues, if you've got your recumbent bike hanging up (in some trains), then this doesn't conflict with a folded trike just sat on the ground.

When folded, it's got about the same footprint as a larger manual wheelchair, so not too bad for fitting into places, especially if you lie it sideways.

I dare say it would be possible to tetris a folded trike and a Streetmachine (or sensibly shaped bike) into a Crosscountry dangly bike space, with a bit of work.  While the dangling bike doesn't give a lot of clearance for something to fit underneath, there's probably enough of a gap somewhere to make it work.

The canonical solution to trains is to put the folded trike into a bag, magically transforming it into Luggage, but the usual chat-to-the-train-staff-about-unusual-bikes-and-how-far-you've-ridden and looking-a-bit-disabled methods are also known to have the desired effect.

If you are fettling additional bar ends and so on, bear in mind the Terracycles Cockpit set up...

Miva Merchant: Fatal Error   

Ooh, some good stuff there, if just for Gadget mounting.

Really glad it was such fun!

It certainly was.   :thumbsup:

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
So, when will Barakta be Warty-ing?  Some of us have to do lists to work through, you know....  ;)

Cool! This is sooo exciting! Can't wait to ride with Barakta. If she wants to start gently she could come for a ride with Cycleman and friends :). We've had to wrestle his trice over some barriers, but it's mostly fine :thumbsup:.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I'm no planning expert, but I think we should probably wait until after she's actually got a trike...   :D

Picky. ;D
Actually, it is rocket science.

It certainly was.    :thumbsup:

And so twill be, why do we call it "The Dark Side" when brings so much light.

Unheard call from t'other room, answers yes dear, back in me cage.  

:P

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
So glad you had fun.  (Apart from the motorways and the poorly knee etc.)
Catrike and Windcheetah controls were tried for comparison, and dismissed as "far too stiff" and "inappropriately barmy" respectively.
Sigged. ;D

Good luck on finding the funding for n+3/2.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Good luck on finding the funding for n+3/2.

Given that we've now got single-sided hand controls sussed, selling off superfluous limbs seems like the obvious option.   :D

glad to hear you have had a good day  :thumbsup:.i hope to have the opportunity to ride with you both when you get the new machine/s  :)  
the slower you go the more you see

Arellcat

• Velonautte
... Windcheetah controls were tried for comparison, and dismissed as ... "inappropriately barmy".

Well that's Mike Burrows all over, really.  :)
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

... Windcheetah controls were tried for comparison, and dismissed as ... "inappropriately barmy".

He's pushed me uphill you know.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse

Sideways?    :)

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of NĂºmenor

Well that's Mike Burrows all over, really.  :)

Yes - I tried that machine. Inappropriately barmy is a very adequate description.

Sideways?    :)

Surely that would be "rolled" rather than "pushed"  :)

Probably grumbling about how the design of the machine was all wrong  ;D

Yes - I tried that machine. Inappropriately barmy is a very adequate description.

I'm no planning expert, but I think we should probably wait until after she's actually got a trike...   :D
So do you need me to come and hold your coat whilst you rob the bank?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Probably grumbling about how the design of the machine was all wrong  ;D

He was gentlemanly enough to say it was good training. That was back when I had my old heavy Trice, and I wasn't so fit.

Mind you, I'm still pretty slow uphill.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
So do you need me to come and hold your coat whilst you rob the bank?

That may be useful.   ;D

Barakta was jibbling about in Excel last night, but I'm not sure what conclusion (if any) she came to.

Does anyone have any useful input on the 26" vs 20" rear suspension models (Trice Sprint)?

My instinct says the RS is probably worth the substantial difference in cost (especially once you've added racks) on the basis of convenience (it's going to have to pass through our front door tilted sideways, so a smaller wheel is an obvious benefit) and more appropriate gearing - barakta's much more interested in being able to carry a substantial touring load than going fast, and the smaller wheel naturally lends itself to silly low gears.  She'll also be using short cranks, so lower gearing is better generally.  The shorter wheelbase makes it more barakta-shaped, too, but I think that's mostly aesthetic.

Also, exactly how essential are front mudguards?  I know Arch does without, but I'm generally of the opinion that mudguards are a Good Thing, especially when you're wearing an obscure Swedish hearing aid that's worth about as much as the trike is...

I'm working on the general principle that if you're going to skimp on things for cost reasons, better to skimp on the stuff that's easily added later.

I'll give her a 20" wheel to play with later and see how she fares at getting tyres on and off, with a view to deciding between Marathon Racer and Marathon Plus combined with sturdy slime-filled tubes.  My general preference is for something that's not too difficult to fit, because you're going to get a valve failure or bit of wire through the sidewall and have to fix it eventually - but if her hands aren't rated for tyre changing then making them as fairy-proof as possible is clearly the way to go.

- barakta's much more interested in being able to carry a substantial touring load than going fast

Good woman!  :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
She's also not keen on off-roading :)

I think keeping the vehicle easy-rolling is quite important for someone who is only just getting into things - so maybe avoid Marathon Plus.

Kojaks seem pretty popular and roll well. What does tigerBiten use, since I presume he tries to avoid puncture repairs?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Even better woman! ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
I think keeping the vehicle easy-rolling is quite important for someone who is only just getting into things - so maybe avoid Marathon Plus.

Yeah.  M+ are also relatively heavy, and avoiding gratuitous extra weight is desirable for making it easier to lift.  But obviously puncture resistance is paramount if she's going to struggle to fix it herself.  While I expect she'll mostly ride with others, it'll inevitably happen when she's on her own in the pissing rain.