Author Topic: Mirrors  (Read 16767 times)

Re: Mirrors
« Reply #50 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:17:11 pm »
Mirrors on the glove perhaps?  http://road.cc/content/news/48359-uk-launch-looky-cyclists-gloves-integral-mirror

About the only possible use I can think of for those things!

« Reply #51 on: 30 November, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »
Mirrors on the glove perhaps?  http://road.cc/content/news/48359-uk-launch-looky-cyclists-gloves-integral-mirror

About the only possible use I can think of for those things!

The use could be misinterpreted!

Looks somewhat aggressive

BBJ

« Reply #52 on: 02 December, 2011, 01:32:26 pm »
Tee Hee! ;D

I like that.

Possibly useful for the timid gesticulator!

I was only looking in my mirrors mate!  :facepalm:

« Reply #53 on: 02 December, 2011, 06:03:39 pm »
Could be a single finger glove  ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:20:40 pm »
Here's the current mirror arrangement we're using on barakta's ICE trike.  The B&M mounting described above was sturdy enough, but the small mirror area was a problem that far forward, and it suffered from vibration blurring.

While in Decathlon back in December, I discovered these:

Optically, it's similar to a Mirrcyle.  It seems reasonably sturdy, with a good B&M-style ball-and-socket joint attaching the mirror to the arm.  At a mere £4.99, it seemed silly not to give it a try.

Initially I tried attaching it directly to the B&M arm.  In spite of the difference in ball/socket sizes, it sort of worked: while it suffered from droop, it was enough to determine that it gave a much improved view, so I set about fettling the bracket.

I came up with a way to securely mount it to the mudguard stay, and it's been in use there for the last few months.  It's survived a couple of knocks as the trike squeezed through narrow gaps, and me tilting it on its side to fix a puncture without remembering to fold the mirror in first.  There is no droop and the mirror is easily adjusted by hand, much like a B&M.  There is some vibration blur, but not enough to be a problem.

Yesterday I bought a matching mirror for the left side, and documented the bracket mod:

First, dismantle the whole thing.  You'll need the parts on the right:

You'll also need a couple of repair washers, an M4 pan-head bolt and nut, and some inner-tube cut to match the washers:

Using a junior hacksaw, cut the post mount down like so, tidying up with a file:

Assemble the parts like this, using the M4 nut and bolt to join the parts of the mount.  Trim any excess bolt.

Attach to the mudguard stay, getting the bolt right up into the 'V', and tighten.  A cable-tie prevents rotation.  This is surprisingly secure.

Then simply fit the mirror.  Stealth retro-reflective chevrons optional.

ETA: Not entirely surprisingly the middle joint turns out to be a weak point and is prone to droop.  Copious numbers of cable-ties help, but in an attempt to improve things I've taken it apart and covered the whole area in epoxy:

Other than that, they're still performing fine.

Not bad for a fiver a go  :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #55 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:53:16 pm »
Looks good!

I removed the mudguards from my trike today as it's now Officially Summer for me.

What if Barakta wants to do the same?

(Anecdata - I cycle faster without mudguards; less mystery vacuum between tyre and mudguard sucking the energy?)
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 21 February, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
Removing mudguards?  What is this Leggian madness of which you speak?    :hand:  ;D

Fair point, removing the mudguards would remove the mirrors (indeed, it would also remove the rear lights and speed sensor).  We're working on the assumption that they're only coming off for serious packing of the trike: Baraktas come with expensive hard-to-replace electronics attached to them that don't take well to getting wet, and given British weather, mudguards are highly desirable all year round.  It's also a better position for mirror visibility: with bilateral Duane Syndrome and short forearms (even her right handlebar is several inches further back than I would put it), handlebar mounted mirrors involve rather a lot of head movement - with the Mirrycle mounted on the left bar, she was making the sort of exaggerated movements normally only seen on driving tests to check it.

At this point, the easy ways to gain speed would be to recline the seat further (she has a fairly upright riding position, so there's a lot of aerodynamics to gain there) or fit thinner tyres.  The latter only being an option when riding with someone who can fix punctures.  And it's hardly slow, anyway:  My speed on the trike is similar to the Streetmachine for everything but fast descents, it certainly beats my upright tourer on the flat.

« Reply #57 on: 26 February, 2012, 08:33:13 pm »
I wanted to post a picture of my excellent system on SMGT(see previous contribution to this item) but having struggled for half an hour to do so I now give up :((Old and useless with computers)
If someone would help me I would do so. I do not have a hosting site I just want to paste a picture directly into the post otherwise I will forget it.

I don't like the mirror on the trike. The lens is too small especially so far from the eye. The stem is too long.The ball clamp in my experience doesn't hold well. The vibration at speed on an uneven surface would render it less than useless. The idea is to see clearly behind at all times.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #58 on: 17 March, 2012, 06:12:14 pm »
You can't put a picture directly into a post on this forum.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #59 on: 18 March, 2012, 11:29:48 pm »
Thanks for your reply. That's it then.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #60 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:18:06 pm »
Disaster!

Catastrophic failure of one of the b-Twin mirror stalks, just below the ball joint where the stress is greatest:

Complete arse to photograph, as it's tiny and hard to get the lighting right without proper gear, but the metal has sheared right off.  We were proceeding along a perfectly reasonable stretch of smoothish tarmac at the time, and it hadn't been bashed recently or anything.  Looks like there might be a manufacturing defect, but it's hard to tell.

It's worth noting that this would have happened with the mirror mounted in its intended manner on the bars of an upright bicycle - it's not a part that I've modified at all.

I've just performed the bracket modification (with the epoxy - that was 100% successful for preventing droop) on the spare mirror I put aside, as they otherwise work extremely well, and it might be a one-off fault.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #61 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:41:34 pm »
That's a pain.  How tiny is it?  I've repaired similar bits by drilling a wee hole into each (carefully aligned) then splinting with a panel pin, minus its head, Araldited into position. Araldite on the fracture at the same time taaw, obv.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #62 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:46:29 pm »
Might be doable.  Will have a go when I'm feeling a bit more inclined to drill precisely aligned holes in things.  (Psst, barakta - see, I *need* a drill press!)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #63 on: 23 May, 2012, 09:49:53 pm »
Top tip: Drill one hole. Position panel pin in hole, point out.
Press parts together, such that point makes a mark on the undrilled part.
Drill other hole.

But you knew that anyway.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #64 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:07:25 pm »
Small easily breakable bits of plastic, and needing to be able to build widgets like this, seem like the perfect reason to get a 3D printer, but the price hasn't dropped enough, and my income hasn't risen enough (hah!) that I can justify it yet.

Give it time, and we'll be able to design and print up solutions to these sort of things.  I guess given access to a suitably equipped workshop and CNC milling tool, you could also machine it out of metal, but that's way beyond most of us at the moment (and probably for the foreseeable future).
Actually, it is rocket science.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:10:59 pm »
It's not actually plastic that broke, looks like a (moderately naff) steel screw with the plastic moulded around it to make the ball and brackety bits.

Which suggests a strategy for molishing a better one, should it come to that...

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #66 on: 23 May, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »
(Psst, barakta - see, I *need* a drill press!)

Sounds good to me  :-*