Author Topic: Birmingham Curry Recomendation  (Read 1901 times)

Birmingham Curry Recomendation
« on: 04 October, 2017, 01:03:11 pm »
looks like I'm flying solo in Birmingham tonight and tomorrow. Anyone got any recommendations on where to get a good Curry? I am staying at the Radisson Blu so pretty central.

Re: Birmingham Curry Recomendation
« Reply #1 on: 04 October, 2017, 01:58:32 pm »
Most of my currying happens in the Moseley/Basal Heath/Sparkbook area (3 miles out from the centre), but you could try either the Taj Mahal on the corner of Hinkley Street (think it's a long-running one popular with the taxi drivers - haven't been there myself) or Manzil's in Digbeth (think I've been there once).

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 04 October, 2017, 02:06:06 pm »
Some time ago barakta and I had a meal with a visiting (female) friend in one of the places on Smallbrook Queensway.  I can't remember which.  No complaints about the food, but the waiter was bizarrely creepy (and as it was a school night, it was quiet enough for him to give us far too much unwanted attention).   :hand:

« Reply #3 on: 04 October, 2017, 03:37:59 pm »
When in Birmingham, you need to be going for a Balti. Can't remember the names or locations of any I used to frequent when I lived up that way, but I doubt you can go wrong by just picking one at random....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4 on: 04 October, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »
Yeah - Ladypool Road or around there... there is usually a offy next door to buy your drinks from as most are 'dry' from memory.  Not walking distance from Radisson though.  There are a couple on the road that heads up to Fiveways and there used to be an OK posh on in the Jewellery quarter - but its a good few years since I was at that one.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #5 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:12:18 pm »
Ladypool road, Sparkbrook are where its at. Can't remember the names of any, but the rule of thumb is that if you go looking for Punjabi or Gujarati restaurants you are probably going to eat well.

Check the menu...if it's just the usual balti, dhansak, Korma, vindaloo etc bullshit then walk away. If they have a big range of starters with stuff like aloo tikka and pani puri, and things like Masala dosa then it's a proper place rather than a Bangladeshi two-step  curry paste joint.

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:33:51 pm »
 :thumbsup: Thanks all. Less than 2 mile walk....might just do that instead of the Wednesday night ride.

« Reply #7 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:38:13 pm »
Just to add a vote for Mansil's at the top of Digbeth.

I've been going there for years it's pretty good and central.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #8 on: 04 October, 2017, 04:44:45 pm »
When in Birmingham, you need to be going for a Balti. Can't remember the names or locations of any I used to frequent when I lived up that way, but I doubt you can go wrong by just picking one at random....

Ah the balti from baltistan.

My first curries were baltis.

« Reply #9 on: 05 October, 2017, 04:47:24 pm »
I went to Manzil's last night, it was  :thumbsup:

I didn't have a Balti though, I opted for one of their Lamb Specialities which was really good! First taste of Mongoose beer as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect I might be here on a regularish basis over the coming year so will try and get to the other suggested areas in time!

« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2017, 07:39:32 pm »
This place: http://henandchickensph.restaurantwebx.com/ was good, but it has been tarted up since I last used it and prices have gone up.

http://www.oldmoseleyarms.co.uk/ is also very good and in both places you can have an ale or two whilst eating.

A note of caution, the Old Moseley Arms isn't in one of the nicest parts of Brum, so I'd taxi it if alone.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.