Author Topic: Suitable socket for speaker wires  (Read 1480 times)

Suitable socket for speaker wires
« on: 18 January, 2019, 09:42:01 pm »
The skirting boards in my living room will be put in next week, so it's a good opportunity to put some wires behind them to run round the room for rear speakers for 5.1 audio. They will be just thinnish wire, not hifi. Is there a simple, relatively unobtrusive kind of socket box I can screw on to the wall at each end which would be neater than just leaving the wires dangling? Rear speakers don't really warrant cutting out the wall for hifi style banana plug boxes.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Suitable socket for speaker wires
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2019, 09:48:49 pm »
Maybe you could abuse some of these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Single-Coaxial-Outlet-Aerial-Socket/dp/B000XROHX6

I hate Belling-Lee connectors with a passion, dunno if you could bodge a phono socket or something in there.

« Reply #2 on: 19 January, 2019, 01:28:52 am »
I'd be tempted to fit some of these into a cutout in the skirting board

and arrange a matching cover if you think you need it.  The cutout in the skirting need only be as large as the raised part of the connector plate; e.g. the screws could be put through from the back before the skirting is fitted.

FWIW I 'temporarily' trailed bell wire around the picture rail and 'temporarily' hung the rear speakers from same when trying out my spiffy new sound system.  That was over a decade ago, and the speakers have not moved...

cheers

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2019, 12:29:10 pm »
The OP specifically ruled out proper backboxes, for which there are a great many sensible options.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2019, 02:01:20 pm »
Drill two holes in the skirting boards and fix the terminals in directly?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #6 on: 19 January, 2019, 04:32:40 pm »
Fix a small piece of chocolate block to the skirting, run your feed in behind the skirting and through a couple of small holes.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 20 January, 2019, 08:50:09 am »
Thanks, I've ordered a couple of the things in Brucey's picture with 4 connections, they look like the terminals on the back can be bent flat to fix on to the wall.

The wall is tanked so a proper back box would have to be surface mounted.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.