Author Topic: Bird Spotting Scopes  (Read 820 times)

Bird Spotting Scopes
« on: 25 December, 2023, 08:25:51 pm »
Lynn and I now have a key for a very nice hide not far from home..
The view across the resevoir is extensive and our 8x binoculars don't really bring in the birds
So a mid range spotting scope is on the New Year list..
Initially I was looking s/hand but now thinking of a visit to https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/
Proper B&M shop, plenty of stock, showroom to touch and feel, maybe some good advice..
Obviously we need a hide clamp, and also if an angled scope to be able to rotate the mount 90 deg.
We don't intend to carry it far although the hide is within cycling distance, so maybe add a transit case for the trike rear rack?
Anything else we should consider?

Re: Bird Spotting Scopes
« Reply #1 on: 26 December, 2023, 10:11:49 am »
Went through the same process two years back and came away with a Vortex Diamondback 20-60x80 (secondhand private sale). So that's one confirmed bias choice for you  :)

They do rate highly though (I already had the same model of their binoculars so was aware of the quality).

Biggest take away was the tripod head. Ended up with a Manfrotto video type. Very smooth in all directions for panning. Scope is angled and it allows it to be set sideways easily.

I've found a phone mount really good for phone-scoping too.

« Reply #2 on: 27 December, 2023, 06:42:31 am »
Thanks, we have been reconsidering a binocular upgrade would be a better  first step, will have a look at Vortex.

RobertW

• Robert
« Reply #3 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:06:27 am »
A cover/ case is a good idea to protect the scope and will probably have a shoulder strap to aid carrying the scope when off the bike.  I have an angled scope which I much prefer to a straight through.

« Reply #4 on: 27 December, 2023, 07:46:17 am »
Yes, essential bits n'bobs to make the devices practical are the added ££'s - why the are called acessories I'm not sure