Author Topic: External speakers + amp? for iMac - Recommendations sought  (Read 1724 times)

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
External speakers + amp? for iMac - Recommendations sought
« on: 12 August, 2019, 08:23:15 am »
After many years one of my JBL Creature satellite speakers has disintegrated. I was happy enough with the set up and sound as 'puter speakers.

A brief delve and it seems things have moved on somewhat  :-\

Any recommendations appreciated for a system to use with an iMac.

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
Re: Replacement system for old JBL 'Creatures' 2.1 - Recommendations sought
« Reply #1 on: 12 August, 2019, 08:57:38 am »
A usb DAC/AMP and hifi bookshelf speakers?

I use a Topping VX1 USB DAC / AMP, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers.  Much better sound quality than generic powered PC speaker. 

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 12 August, 2019, 12:20:45 pm »
That nice Mr Richer is knocking out Diamond 9.0s at £39 a pair.  I have a pair in the kitchen for iTunes purposes and endorse them.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #3 on: 24 August, 2019, 03:20:50 pm »
A usb DAC/AMP and hifi bookshelf speakers?

I use a Topping VX1 USB DAC / AMP, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers.  Much better sound quality than generic powered PC speaker.

Would a Topping MX3 be suitable do you think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topping-MX3-Bluetooth-Headphome-Amplifier/dp/B075SYC4Z5

Do you know how it connects to an iMac - USB? Headphone jack out? And what input on the MX3?

I have a pair of JBL Control 1 speakers that I'd forgot about ::-)

One further question if I may? Would this be better than just adding a pair of powered Bose speakers

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/speakers/stereo_speakers/companion-2-series-iii-multimedia-speaker-system.html#v=companion2_black_eu_gb_ie

Thanks, Paul

« Reply #4 on: 24 August, 2019, 08:46:02 pm »
That nice Mr Richer is knocking out Diamond 9.0s at £39 a pair.  I have a pair in the kitchen for iTunes purposes and endorse them.
They're a popular choice  :thumbsup:
I have a pair used with a Denon DM39 (Current model is 41) PC plugged in and although it has DAB and CD player they hardly ever get used.  The lot was around £200 seven years ago from Richer Sounds, used for hours every day, I don't need anything better.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: External speakers + amp? for iMac - Recommendations sought
« Reply #5 on: 25 August, 2019, 12:06:07 pm »
After asking a similar question here a while ago, I invested in a set of Creative T10 speakers and have been very happy with them. ~£35 iirc
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #6 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:37:27 pm »
So I went ahead an took a £100 punt on a Topping MX3 amp with USB input so as to use with the iMac.

Basically as I'd forgotten I had a pair of 24 year old? JBL Control 1 desktop speakers.

Wow! They sounded very very good good indeed, great separation over all frequencies + good close too sat at the computer and equally impressive at filling the whole room = a huge improvement over the previous JBL Creature 2.1 powered system.

But after several minutes of going through all sorts of different music, the Control 1 speakers started distorting  :(

Removed the cabinet grills to find the flexible outer part of the bass speakers to have disintegrated into small powdery bits.

Then discovered I had a pair of smaller JBL Control Micro speakers which I'd forgot about. Sadly only one of those produced any sound and it was very flat and dull and disappointing in comparison the the Control 1s, for their brief gorgeous soundingness.

So then I dug out an even more ancient pair of Wharfedale Diamond 2. Whose flexible outer part of the bass speakers were intact and seemingly constructed from a plastic material?

Trouble is they sound s**t + basically muddy in comparison to the JBL Control 1 speakers, which sadly lasted so briefly after storage for many years.

One assumes? that Wharfedale Diamond 9s will be a completely different product to the ancient Diamond 2s? Maybe I should try and find some JBL Control 1s - as I know they sounded great with the Topping MX3 amp. Who's to say JBL Control 2 speakers would provide the clarity and separation of their predecessor?

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #7 on: 29 August, 2019, 04:52:14 pm »
I'd suggest that a pair of Warfdale Diamond 9s would be more than adequate for your needs. I've certainly no issues with the sound quality of mine powered by the topping VX1, although it seems the VX1 has been discontinued by Topping.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #8 on: 29 August, 2019, 05:21:54 pm »
Just found a possible solution and repair to the JBL Control 1 speakers - which I know sound great to my now ageing and very compromised ex '70s and '80s rock'n'roll+ live sound engineer's ears + tinitus.

https://youtu.be/jE_2BUCdUYQ

I think I will try that and purchase wot Richer are still selling JBL Control 1 speakers for £49 delivered

https://www.richersounds.com/jbl-speakers-per-pair.html

Which will be more than I was thinking to spend - but, the Topping MX3 and the JBL Control 1 speakers really hit my personal current sweet audio capability spot - re as being "computer" audio enhancements

And of course, audio and ears ares so very particular and personal, as are music tastes plus environmental room/space considerations

Dear forumites, many thanks for all your advice and suggestions - they have all helped  :thumbsup: