Author Topic: Tour of Britain 2012  (Read 12869 times)

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
Re: Tour of Britain Route 2012 Launch
« Reply #25 on: 10 August, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »
Glad I've got VIP entry for a couple of finishes - that'll save me having to mix with the great unwashed.  :smug:

Seriously though, will Joe Public understand if Brad doesn't win (which he surely won't)?
a great mind thinks alike

Re: Re: Tour of Britain Route 2012 Launch
« Reply #26 on: 15 August, 2012, 02:06:29 pm »
Scottish bit looks like Peebles to Dumfries or the other way round. Make it more fun by taking them via the 7-stanes on cyclocross bikes :)
Jedburgh to Dumfries.
Almost as per last year. Let's hope we don't get the same torrential weather.

« Reply #27 on: 04 September, 2012, 08:56:52 pm »
Provisional team rosters here: http://www.tourofbritain.com/_ns_pdf/2012/ToB_2012_Provisional_RiderList.pdf

Apart from the Brits, Basso and Sammy Sanchez would seem to be the biggest names, with Tyler Farrer and Sep Vanmarcke for Garmin Sharp not far behind.  Nice to see Magnus Backstedt (riding for UK Youth) back racing (or has he never been aeway?  Presumably this will be one of Jonathan Tiernan-Locke's last rides for Endura Racing before he joins a Protour team.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #28 on: 04 September, 2012, 09:56:46 pm »
Rumours are that J T-L will be joining Sky next year. He really is a fantastic climber, wonderful to watch how he climbs.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2012, 08:26:38 am »
I have sort of missed the developments with this, but it is starting to look like a proper race, if you judge it by the teams entered.  Some that struck me:

Euskatel Euskadi
Team NetApp
Orica-Greenedge
Garmin-Sharp
VacanSoleil
Liquigas-Cannondale

Not too shabby, eh?  Good experience for the other team riders (Giordana-Node4, Endura, Team GB Youth) and a good draw for the crowds
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #30 on: 05 September, 2012, 09:32:37 am »
It passes within 5km of joglerville twice on the Stoke stage.

but I doubt that I'll be seeing it

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #31 on: 06 September, 2012, 11:08:44 am »
I will be wandering along to the START!!! seeing as it's practically my front door (actually they do a big loop so don't even go past the end of my road).  Either at the start itself or near the cemetery as it's a quiet route there from mine.
The house may or may not be full of teenagers for my son's birthday.  Feel free to invite yourself around for a cuppa regardless, but warn me first.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #32 on: 07 September, 2012, 12:16:32 am »
I'm kinda wondering about coming to the start but am not too familiar with Ipswich. I'd be coming over by car.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #33 on: 07 September, 2012, 07:12:08 am »
I'm kinda wondering about coming to the start but am not too familiar with Ipswich. I'd be coming over by car.

We're popping down to Ipswich too before we head up to Norwich for the finish. I'll just drive as close as possible to the start and find somewhere to park for a couple of hours. I've never been to Ipswich so have no clue if that's a sensible plan.  ;D
a great mind thinks alike

« Reply #34 on: 07 September, 2012, 07:18:39 am »
I'm going to Caerphilly Mountain with Mal Volio on Friday.

essexian

« Reply #35 on: 07 September, 2012, 07:24:19 am »
Oh...guess who is on leave next week.....  ;D...... Guess whose wife has arranged a weeks DIY....  :facepalm:

I AM going to go to see the race go over Cannock Chase and to the finish in Stoke; while getting to see the stage via Ashbourne is also on the cards. Not quite the "I am going to follow it around this year" planned but hey ho, the boss is the boss.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #36 on: 07 September, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »
It may turn out I was lying about being around, but won't know until tomorrow. 
Regardless, there is park and ride round Ipswich for those of you wanting to avoid driving into the centre.  As I don't have a car I cann't help about parking though, soz.
Apparently the East Anglian Daily times had some lovely maps of the route.  But not in the online version that I could see.

Yes, I will be there complete with yacf buff.  Those with cars best park further out in a random street and walk in.  I am near the top of Albion Hill.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #37 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:01:06 pm »
Me and a few friends went into Ipswich to see the start of this year's ToB. One friend on his way in caught sight of the Sky riders bus, did a quick stop and managed to get to the whole team's autograph - he was made up.

There were big crowds along the waterfront but unfortunately the bit where we were standing (only about 75m from the start line) there was no tannoy so much head turning each time the crowd cheered. Anyway it was good to see the teams come through.

Got home later in the day and watched the race live on ITV4 only to see Cav come a pearler along with a few others. Good win for Sky on the first day though even if it wasn't whom they were expecting.

Gibbo.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #38 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
Me and a few friends went into Ipswich to see the start of this year's ToB. One friend on his way in caught sight of the Sky riders bus, did a quick stop and managed to get to the whole team's autograph - he was made up.

now THAT is a result
 :thumbsup:

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #39 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:40:42 pm »
Went along and saw the race coming through Kesgrave (eastern outskirts of Ipswich). Bernie and Cav were at the back, Christian Knees at the front at the time. Didn't see Wiggo.

I watched the end of the race on the TV at my Mum's (managed to cadge Sunday Lunch from her, bonus!) and it was disappointing to see Cav's crash but still very exciting!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #40 on: 09 September, 2012, 07:45:39 pm »
Crikey, that was a bit crunchy at the end there. 

Looking forward lots to next Saturday's Devon stage!  The Olympics have Box Hill, we have Coffin Hill.  It's a scarier kind of box altogether. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #41 on: 10 September, 2012, 01:34:26 am »
Bloody work! I'm in Devon when it's up north and back in Scotland when it's in Devon. I haven't seen it in first hand since it stopped coming to Glasgow.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

slohill

• still at it
« Reply #42 on: 10 September, 2012, 06:42:09 am »
Tough luck on Cav---but I guess that's bike racing.
Going out to watch the tour on Morridge today; some proper hills after the Norfolk pimples.
Anyone else feel that the ITV4 coverage and commentary left rather a lot of room for improvement? :facepalm:
Organiser of  Tour of the Berwyns 200k and Panorama Prospect 130k; Saturday May 20 2023

« Reply #43 on: 10 September, 2012, 08:27:36 am »
Anyone else feel that the ITV4 coverage and commentary left rather a lot of room for improvement? :facepalm:

Do they provide it - or buy it in? If the latter then it's like Ch4 and the Paralympic road race - OBC didn't cover it and Ch4 couldn't afford to, so no pics.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #44 on: 10 September, 2012, 09:27:35 am »
Yeah, too much talking (there's only so much I can take of Matt Stephens enthusiastically saying "yeah, definitely").

Always nice to see an old clubmate win though.  ;)

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #45 on: 10 September, 2012, 12:14:09 pm »
I've just booked Thursday off work to see it on the Cat.2 climb in Cannock Chase  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

microphonie

• Tyke 2
« Reply #46 on: 10 September, 2012, 07:00:00 pm »
A mate filmed this clip of Wiggo's off:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IdoZ2-LjnSE&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/IdoZ2-LjnSE&rel=1</a>
Bingo! That's what I am, a saviour.
A sort of cocky version of Jesus.

« Reply #47 on: 10 September, 2012, 07:03:25 pm »
Bloody amateur!
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

essexian

« Reply #48 on: 10 September, 2012, 07:04:47 pm »
I've just booked Thursday off work to see it on the Cat.2 climb in Cannock Chase  :)

I'll be there too  :thumbsup: (if I can get up the hill from Brocton. Going to try a test run tomorrow morning. Despite living here for ten years, I have never been onto the Chase on a road bike). 

« Reply #49 on: 10 September, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
Commentary's still pretty poor - seem to be failing to communicate useful information as opposed to information (aka noise).
Today's finish; Sky are running out of steam so Cav drops back in the wheels to avoid being left hanging out front too far out (a la Ben Swift in La Vuelta), and the commentator gets over excited appears to miss, and so fails to communicate, the tactics involved, and instead suggests that Cav's now in a poorer position. 
I wonder if they're trying to inject excitement or just getting caught up in their own emotion?  Either way, i think there's room for improvement.