Author Topic: New Etrex  (Read 31246 times)

Re: New Etrex
« Reply #50 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:38:04 pm »
I have owned two AA using GPS units but way prefer my internal batteried 705. It is smaller (because it can be), can be stem mounted, and most importantly doesn't turn off when you go over a bump, unlike the other two. Battery can see me round a 300k, and the plug in external for 400k and longer also charges the iPhone.

It would take a lot for me to be interested in this unit, but I'd be pleased if someone buys one and reports back.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #51 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:42:30 pm »
Its the same mount as is already in use for the Dakota and Oregon amomg others.  Stem yes.  Bars yes.  Secure yes.  Fugly yes.

On a black stem it doesn't stand out that much. As for being secure, yes to a point, if you crash hard, it will fly away but it has not been an issue for me as i always secure it to the brake cables with the lanyard.

I know that not everybody share this view but I think that the dakota is 10 times better than the old etrex as it is much easier to use and IMO this matters at 3am in the middle of Wales under the rain. The new etrex seems similar to the Dakota but more energy efficient so assuming that they haven't built in some drawbacks to protect the marketshare of their more expensive units, I think it will become the "preferred" option for audaxers. Also, the OSM maps looks really good on these units.
Chief cat entertainer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #52 on: 27 September, 2011, 05:59:55 pm »
I have owned two AA using GPS units but way prefer my internal batteried 705. It is smaller (because it can be), can be stem mounted, and most importantly doesn't turn off when you go over a bump, unlike the other two.

I've owned three eTrexes (Yellow, Legend and Vista HCx), and never had a battery contact issue.  And that includes when I used to do a lot of mileage on Sustrans paths without the aid of suspension.  *shrug*

Agreed about the size and stem-mounting though.  The Edge is better designed for being mounted on a bike.  As you'd expect it to be, really.

At the end of the day, they have a lot more in common then they have differences.

« Reply #53 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:05:51 pm »
Everyone has their preferences, but if I could see any advantage to using an eTrex I would use one. I really struggle to see why people use them except for touring with no access to an electricity socket for a few days. I know the Edge units are more expensive, perhaps that is a major factor for some?

You are correct about the similarities, although the 705 has a whole bunch of training facilities and ANT wireless connections to power meters, neither of which I use.

Training? Moi?

:sick:

;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #54 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:17:10 pm »
Everyone has their preferences, but if I could see any advantage to using an eTrex I would use one. I really struggle to see why people use them except for touring with no access to an electricity socket for a few days. I know the Edge units are more expensive, perhaps that is a major factor for some?

Overlooking the significant inertia factor of being an established eTrex user before I got back into cycling, I'd say you've summed up my main reasons for using them.  At the end of the day, removable batteries are convenient for touring, and I didn't see the point in paying vastly more (and while I'm not averse to spending money on good kit, I don't have a lot of it to spend) for an Edge in order to gain some power/waterproofing angst and a load of training features I'd (also) never use.  Size and stem mounting never bothered me, but then my proper bikes are both heavy tourers.  I expect that's a significant factor for many users.

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #55 on: 27 September, 2011, 06:25:11 pm »
I'm now very interested. Its about time I upgraded from my Gecko. I had been looking at the Dakota but the etrex seems to do as much but for less money. I'm not that interested in an electronic compass so the etrex20 looks ideal.

I'll be adding to my xmas list though , so I guess it will be a while before I can review it.
Owner of a languishing Langster

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #56 on: 27 September, 2011, 09:21:24 pm »
As mentioned in another, older, thread, I'm interested in a GPS unit of some sort.  I'm pretty sure I'll be getting the new etrex, but probably not until I visit the US in February.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #57 on: 27 September, 2011, 10:57:43 pm »
You are correct about the similarities, although the 705 has a whole bunch of training facilities and ANT wireless connections to power meters, neither of which I use.

Training? Moi?

Some of us mere mortals need it (training).

I've no emotional attachment or cognitive bias towards the Edge series. If Garmin did a GPS that took AA batteries that could record shit from an HR strap and PowerTap hub over ANT+ I'd ditch my Edge 705 and buy it.

I wouldn't even care if it didn't do maps and I had to do the old school 'sparse route' with routepoints named '01 L@', my Edge 705 would be on eBay.

The internal battery thing of the Edge 705 is an annoying limitation that I have to live with. External battery packs are not foolproof and have let me down.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #58 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:22:39 pm »
It's a multi-use thing for me: I hike and bike and generally bugger around.  That means my GPS isn't handy, its safety kit*, and spare batteries go from nice to essential.  All of which means I'll cheerfully hike on the moors in midwinter white-outs for a jolly (it really is liberating, having trustworthy kit: you can get lost and get home again, so I'm always bumbling off the track because hey, a pretty stone!).

That plus the sheer physical robustness of the Etrexes (sea kayaking with it tied to the deck by string? How many times must I kill you, boy?) plus the low cost are all very attractive.

That they're hackable means it's happy nerds all round.  The whole OpenStreetMap thing is a lovely piece of citizen nerdery that tickles my tickly bits; they work on most Garmins.  They work trivially easily on Etrexes.

I won't upgrade until my current one gets eaten by a dinosaur, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on the new models.

The specific training stuff, well, that's specific training stuff.  My bike training is usually on the "miles / hours / pies" level of sophistication, so I'm not one to comment!

* Yes, yes, paper map and lodestone and powder of sympathy in a ziploc baggie too.  Primary GPS user != dolt.  :)  Reception during LEJOG has downgraded my trust in phone signal when I need it.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #59 on: 27 September, 2011, 11:26:56 pm »
Exactly.  Let's not overlook how spectacularly unimaginably awesome the original yellow eTrex was.  These days they're giving GPS receivers away with posh bike computers.   :D

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #60 on: 28 September, 2011, 12:21:21 am »
Powertap is an expensive niche product anyway.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #61 on: 28 September, 2011, 04:16:12 am »
ISTR HRMs seemed pretty flash 20 yrs ago..

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #62 on: 28 September, 2011, 04:04:04 pm »
etrex30 looks like a worthy replacement for vista hcx. the only slight niggle is that memory card is under the batteries - not very convenient to remove/reinsert when you want to upload your active log files.

« Reply #63 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:13:18 pm »

Training? Moi?

Some of us mere mortals need it (training).

<totally off topic>

Do I detect a mocking tone in your comment?  Well, allow me to retort...    ;)

Depends what you call training. I dont call riding around occasionally exerting myself training. Training as far as I'm concerned is anything  whereby you hugely exceed your normal exertion rates to the point of failure.

An hour or so of intervals that lead you to have blurred vision are what I'm talking about and you won't get me doing that. I ride for fun.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #64 on: 28 September, 2011, 06:59:17 pm »
etrex30 looks like a worthy replacement for vista hcx. the only slight niggle is that memory card is under the batteries - not very convenient to remove/reinsert when you want to upload your active log files.
For the Vista HCx, you can just plug in the cable then set it to mass storage mode. Then you can read the tracks off the card without actually taking the card out of the Vista.
It looks like the new eTrex models will work in mass storage mode as standard, for both the internal memory and the memory cards. So you shouldn't need to remove the card very often.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #65 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:35:34 am »
Breaking news, some people in the States have got their new Etrexes in hand.
naughty cross-forum link, scroll down

Looks sweet - one pic shows 17 bars up on the satellite screen  :o
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #66 on: 29 September, 2011, 09:42:25 am »
Strangely enough the Dakota 20 is now available for around £160 about the predicted price of the etrex 20. Although the Dakota as a slightly larger screen and and electronic compass. This makes the decision much harder.
Owner of a languishing Langster

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #67 on: 29 September, 2011, 10:00:37 am »
It seems to be 176x220px (ie same as current Etrex C, that's a bit sad!) vs Dakota 160x240.  The Etrex will be brighter though (non-backlit).  The taller Dakota screen is a much better shape for displaying map with data fields together.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #68 on: 29 September, 2011, 12:07:00 pm »
It comes down to whether you like a touchscreen or not IMO. Compass is unecessary on a bike, altimeter is useful though.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #69 on: 29 September, 2011, 02:27:01 pm »
Breaking news, some people in the States have got their new Etrexes in hand.
naughty cross-forum link, scroll down

Looks sweet - one pic shows 17 bars up on the satellite screen  :o

Looking at the uk view of the Garmin site you can now order them, quoted 1-3 days to dispatch (I think)

>It seems to be 176x220px (ie same as current Etrex C, that's a bit sad!) vs Dakota 160x240.
If that's anything like the screen on the Bryton rider 50 (same resolution/dimensions), that seemed pretty decent (if a little small). I must admit to being a little underwhelmed by the display on a mate's Oregon 550, size was great but contrast wasn't IMO.

« Reply #70 on: 30 September, 2011, 11:39:57 am »
Looking at one of these as my first GPS.  Anyone know of a suitable bike mount is available?  I think a stem mount would be best for m
Also, will it work with Mac's?
Thanks
Jamie

« Reply #71 on: 30 September, 2011, 11:42:04 am »
Looking at one of these as my first GPS.  Anyone know of a suitable bike mount is available?  I think a stem mount would be best for m
Also, will it work with Mac's?
Thanks
Jamie

same questions here from me :)

Frere

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #72 on: 30 September, 2011, 11:47:21 am »
The standard Garmin mount works well on a stem.
Chief cat entertainer.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #73 on: 30 September, 2011, 01:11:23 pm »
The standard Garmin mount works well on a stem.

For the Edge maybe.  The standard eTrex mounts clamp round the handlebars, and wouldn't fit a stem.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #74 on: 30 September, 2011, 01:22:33 pm »
I meant the standard mount for the new generation (Dakota, new etrex...)
Chief cat entertainer.