Linked Events

• Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill 2013 from Northallerton: 05 July, 2013

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill - Northallerton, July 5th 2013  (Read 36811 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill - June 28th 2013
« Reply #25 on: 24 March, 2013, 09:02:35 pm »
5th July is free from audax, but I have complex childcare issues that could mean a family outing (me & boab minor onna tandem up that Hill??!!!!) or free & childless. Either way we'd be much more likely, to the point of keen, for that date (assuming we could find accommodation afterwards?).
York without childers, NTR with. So whatever the majority votes on as I really don't know what's going to happen with the offspring visiting the other parent.

Come to York and drop the chiddlers here!

« Reply #26 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:05:28 pm »
Any thoughts on Friday 5th July?

Unless there are any major objections, shall we move it to Friday 5th July?

Would get my vote, as there's a 100 local to me on the 30th too.

Not that I've looked at trains yet.

Or got any cycling fitness...

That settles it (if Boab already hadn't). Kim Must Be There.

Fifth of July it is.  At least there'll be no surprises on the run back into Darlo this time.

I'll change the OP in the morning.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #27 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:13:46 pm »
Assuming I haven't ditched the 24 plan between now and then, I'm out.  I don't think I should miss a night's sleep 2 weeks before the big (and long) day.  Have a good ride everyone!

« Reply #28 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:23:50 pm »
Assuming I haven't ditched the 24 plan between now and then, I'm out.  I don't think I should miss a night's sleep 2 weeks before the big (and long) day.  Have a good ride everyone!

You could come along to the start and scare Kim again!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #29 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:25:45 pm »

You could come along to the start and scare Kim again!

Kim, how did I scare you last time?

« Reply #30 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:30:23 pm »
I think the photos tell their own story.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #31 on: 24 March, 2013, 11:41:50 pm »
That is a shocking lack of solidarity.  EE students and Sheffield peeps should stick together.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #32 on: 25 March, 2013, 07:52:23 am »
Either date works for me, but as there has been some wanting change, go for 5/7.

I vote for the obvious start point for me (i.e. the one that doesn't involve me getting a train! :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: Friday Night Ride to Tan Hill - July 5th 2013
« Reply #33 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:37:57 am »
Strong support for York at the moment, though. Get voting if you don't agree!

I've changed the date to Friday 5th July.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #34 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:51:09 am »
That clashes with the proposed Normandy weekend, for which my name is down.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #35 on: 25 March, 2013, 02:50:37 pm »
Sorry, Wow - I did check the calendar, where there were no clashes, and it seems the 5th July is the most suitable date for this.

« Reply #36 on: 25 March, 2013, 08:45:04 pm »
Dead heat in the voting as it stands - I'm tending towards Northallerton, though.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #37 on: 27 March, 2013, 09:12:58 pm »
The proposed Normandy trip seems to have found itself amongst the fallen so I'm expressing an interest again.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #38 on: 27 March, 2013, 09:14:48 pm »
Excellent. Nobody else has mentioned a clash with July 5th.

Firm majority for Northallerton now.

Shall I call it, so people can start planning? Only three months and eight days to go!

« Reply #39 on: 28 March, 2013, 08:53:48 am »
Wouldnt mind a go at this. Trains are a tad spendy tho'
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #40 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:13:47 am »

Easy answer, persuade loadsabikes that he wants to do this, get him to drive his bus up here, park at, or near ours and Bob's your auntie's live in lover :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #41 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:18:52 am »
I am tracking tickets. Loadsa is working on new ventures not sure how he will be fixed atm. I could bring car but train makes more sense really. Course on each of the two train sets East Coast use,  bike storage is at the opposite ends of each type of train....strewth.

« Reply #42 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:23:25 am »
Looking on East Coast trains I think that they have not released fares that far in advance - if (for example) 5 June is selected it is possible to travel for £28 return on selected trains.  Just need to hang on a week or so.

« Reply #43 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:28:22 am »

You probably know, but just in case - cheap train tickets aren't released until three months before the date (and sometimes a bit closer to the time).

For getting away from Tan Hill, we'll probably do the same as last time: I'll lead a group back to Darlington, and anyone else can catch a train from Kirkby Stephen (small trains and an infrequent service, but it's the closest station).

« Reply #44 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:47:27 am »
Darlington seems less problematic train wise for me.

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #45 on: 28 March, 2013, 11:03:51 am »
East Coast trains have only released tickets up to June 14th- I am desperately trying to book a ticket up to Glasgow using my Rewards points on that date- it's proving tricky.  They have availabilty apparently, but not showing it when I try and book it.  Then they want to charge me lots.  And the phone line is permanently engaged with the most annoying holding muzak which sounds as though it's being played through a force 10 gale, or on a badly tuned old wireless.  Plus the occasional intervention of an annoying woman who keeps reminding me my call is important (I know, I'm not in the habit of making unimportant calls during my very rushed 10 minute break) and apologising for the delay in (sic) keeping me waiting.  Actually, madam you are being extremely prompt and efficient in keeping me waiting, I couldn't fault your company in that particular area of customer service.  And now the kids are back from playtime, so I better stop swearing at my phone and prepare to waste my lunch break in two hours time.

« Reply #46 on: 28 March, 2013, 12:49:12 pm »
I'd quite like to do this. It'll be night time, so I won't be able to see the hills.

« Reply #47 on: 28 March, 2013, 01:43:10 pm »
I'd quite like to do this. It'll be night time, so I won't be able to see the hills.
Nice try, but you hit the hills (as it were, I'm not advocating violence-against-landscape) in the early morning, in bright summer sunshine, so every undulation shows its glory.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #48 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:57:46 pm »
For the first ride, I was assured that the hills would be safely hidden behind the mist and rain (they weren't).  I was also assured that it was a gentle climb (it's not - it undulates like a bastard).  It is, however, downhill all the way to Darlington.   ;D

« Reply #49 on: 28 March, 2013, 04:05:01 pm »
Hang on!

I said it's a nice gentle climb, with the following qualifications:

1. After Langthwaite
2. Excepting the last bit before the pub
3. In comparison to all other available routes to the pub.