Author Topic: HoECC Meriden Audax - Sat 20 May 2017  (Read 2167 times)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
HoECC Meriden Audax - Sat 20 May 2017
« on: 02 May, 2017, 09:55:14 pm »
The ever-popular Audax events - 3 distances : 160, 100 & 50km - starting at Meriden (between Solihull & Coventry)

Details and online entry at www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk

Rob

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Re: HoECC Meriden Audax - Sat 20 May 2017
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2017, 12:36:56 pm »
I'm dragging two (possibly three) newbies along for their first taste of audax on the 50 km.  :D
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2017, 02:50:58 pm »
Entered the 100k , but does anyone know who came up with the route first as Solihull Cycling club also use the same route and their event is less than a month after Meriden.

Just seems odd to me that two 100k events within a few weeks of each other that both use the same route for their 100k

robgul

« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:18:35 pm »
Entered the 100k , but does anyone know who came up with the route first as Solihull Cycling club also use the same route and their event is less than a month after Meriden.

Just seems odd to me that two 100k events within a few weeks of each other that both use the same route for their 100k

HoECC has been running the same 100 & 160km routes with minor variations for at least 10 years - I'm pretty sure the Solihull CC Audax series is quite a recent addition to the calendar.  There are some variations here and there, with HoECC tackling the hill at Burton Dassett Country Park.

We introduced a 50km ride a couple of years ago

Rob (wearing HoECC Chairman's hat)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
I did Solihull Audaxes of 100, 150 and 200km well over a decade ago, along with a Meriden 100 close to the turn of the century (2002?) but I have no idea how much the routes have changed over time. Perhaps there aren't many options for good routes in that part of the world (convergent evolution)?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

robgul

« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2017, 03:48:16 pm »
I did Solihull Audaxes of 100, 150 and 200km well over a decade ago, along with a Meriden 100 close to the tern of the century (2002?) but I have no idea how much the routes have changed over time. Perhaps there aren't many options for good routes in that part of the world (convergent evolution)?

Ah - I should have been clearer - I'm pretty sure that in days of yore the SCC events were further north - but as you rightly say with the "borders to the area" of major A roads and Motorways the options are limited.

Rob

robgul

« Reply #6 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
Quick reminder that entries close at 1700 on Wednesday 17 May 2017

Rob

mr ben

« Reply #7 on: 16 May, 2017, 07:22:14 am »
Does anyone have a gpx file for the 50 km please? Asking for a friend - really!

robgul

« Reply #8 on: 16 May, 2017, 07:25:41 am »
Does anyone have a gpx file for the 50 km please? Asking for a friend - really!

Jon the organiser will be emailing the route sheet and gpx etc to entrants after entry closes (and route sheet posted to paper entries)

I can tell you that the 50km is a gentle ride to the north of Meriden, skirting Nuneaton to the west and then returning via Shustoke.  [I did the route check yesterday . . . by car! - although I have ridden it a few times]

Rob

mr ben

« Reply #9 on: 16 May, 2017, 07:47:36 pm »
Thanks Rob, I was just asking as one of the friends I am bringing is new to audax and was a bit daunted by the routesheet.  I used to live north of Nuneaton so it'll be nice to visit some familiar roads (and no excuse for any wrong turns!).

robgul

« Reply #10 on: 16 May, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »
Thanks Rob, I was just asking as one of the friends I am bringing is new to audax and was a bit daunted by the routesheet.  I used to live north of Nuneaton so it'll be nice to visit some familiar roads (and no excuse for any wrong turns!).

Think Hartshill and the long drag up the hill towards the country park!

Rob