Author Topic: 10 Thames Bridges  (Read 8905 times)

10 Thames Bridges
« on: 15 April, 2009, 01:38:26 pm »
I've signed up for this ride as it looks a good one and will cycling there and back to (hopefully) make a 200k DIY.

I have some questions:-

Anyone else doing it?

I have just bought a Garmin 705.  Does anyone have the route that I can download onto it?  I haven't got my head round how this new electronic wizardry works properly yet.

Does anyone have a contact number for Andy Uttley?  I have mailed him to get approval for the DIY and haven't heard back from him. (It may be too late now to get it set up.)

Thanks.

Re: 10 Thames Bridges
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2009, 02:09:45 pm »
Does anyone have a contact number for Andy Uttley?  I have mailed him to get approval for the DIY and haven't heard back from him. (It may be too late now to get it set up.)

No contact number, only the email listed on the AUK website.

If you're confident that your controls do make the required distance then fill in an entry form and post it off to him.

Post details here and I can check with Autoroute 2001 (which is, I think, what Andy uses) but I can't offer any guarantees.

I've done this several times before with no problems. Obviously I'd have to lump it if I'd made a mistake and one of the routes was under-distance or not acceptable for other reasons.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Martin

« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2009, 03:06:27 pm »
It's always worth extending the add on distance a bit (5-10km if poss); Andy's version of AR finds shortcuts that other beers cannot reach

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 15 April, 2009, 03:11:07 pm »
It would be a brave DIY Organiser indeed who published a phone number  :o.

Poor bugger would never get anything done!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: 15 April, 2009, 04:29:55 pm »
Couple of useful tips:-

You can generally only count the minimum distance of a calendar event, not the stated routesheet/on-the-road distance.

For a 104km event this means you can, usually, only use the completed calendar event Brevet card to claim 100km for that segment.

Using distances from routesheets of other events isn't guaranteed to work either, as the calendar event routesheet may not describe the shortest distance between those two controls.

Unless you're very lucky with placing controls then you're going to be riding overdistance. Assume that you're going to ride 220km for a 200km ride with no extra time (but you can claim the 14.3kph minimum average speed for the 200km).

I've got my DIY 200 up to Cambridge and back down to 212km but that involves a fair section of busy London roads.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #5 on: 15 April, 2009, 04:31:52 pm »
I'm doing this - my first Audax.

I've got hold of a GPS route from last year, so hopefully not changed.

PM if you want it.
A shitter and a giggler.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #6 on: 15 April, 2009, 04:40:27 pm »
I've just stuck it on Bikely.

If you need a Memory Map version with the controls I'll send that via email.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ten-Thames-Bridges
A shitter and a giggler.

Martin

« Reply #7 on: 15 April, 2009, 06:10:34 pm »
Couple of useful tips:-

You can generally only count the minimum distance of a calendar event, not the stated routesheet/on-the-road distance.

For a 104km event this means you can, usually, only use the completed calendar event Brevet card to claim 100km for that segment.

this is sort of true; many just over 100km events can actually be cut short to even slightly less (-2%?) than 100 if you want to use 3 lane A roads etc but it's a good rule of thumb to allow the exact number of km and add the DIY bit to it (Andy Uttley will know the shortest possible distance of the calendar event assuming it's on his Manor) remember too that a potentially underdistance 0 AUK point 100 is more likely to be allowed through than as part of a 200

If your preferred route to the start is a lot less than the direct busy road you can either add another checkpoint en route buying a Mars bar etc as proof of passage; this will buy you more time as it will then be a minimum distance so you will be allowed more time pro rata, or else overshoot on the way home and go to another town n km the other side (eg for me on the Hailsham events going back the laney way via Horley even though the shortest route would take me there via my house).

Remember that the 100km event is unlikely to be at Randonneur speed so you will have less time to complete the DIY bit if you use the full time allowance for the 100 (only likely to be a problem if it's uber-hilly which 10 bridges over the Thames is unlikely to be). This works in your favour when extending a 200+ 15kph minimum ride as you have more time to complete the DIY bit in order to give an overall average of 14.3 minimum.

Give my regards to Mick the organiser not seen him for a few years  :)

« Reply #8 on: 18 April, 2009, 09:30:14 pm »
I'm unexpectedly about and with nothing to do, so I'll be joining you guys on this. I'll be the one on the pimped up Brompton...

Duncan

« Reply #9 on: 19 April, 2009, 04:39:21 pm »
I'll be the one on the pimped up Brompton...

Duncan

Hope you got your front brake fixed, my Bike Friday then the solitary folder, behaved impeccably.

Lovely ride, I had forgotten that Audax rides don't have to involve pain & suffering, must do more 100's.

Chris

« Reply #10 on: 19 April, 2009, 06:35:38 pm »
Hope you got your front brake fixed, my Bike Friday then the solitary folder, behaved impeccably.

Sadly no. I gave up and went home again. I still can't get that cable to move even with all my tools, so I guess it's replacement time...

Lovely ride, I had forgotten that Audax rides don't have to involve pain & suffering, must do more 100's.

You had a great day for it!

Duncan

« Reply #11 on: 19 April, 2009, 06:53:55 pm »
Excellent ride with great weather crossing the Thames (unsurprisingly) 10 times, incuding the very pretty footbridge from Windsor to Eton followed by a footbridge running alongside the M4!

Lovely new roads for me and a great day out.

jellied

• skip to the end
    • Ealing Bike Hub
« Reply #12 on: 19 April, 2009, 07:48:57 pm »
I survived my first Audax! That was jolly fun if a little intense for me. Lord knows how people do longer events, I am in awe.

Excellent route, superb weather and pleasant views. I assumed the last 10 miles would be the hardest but in fact being so flat it was a great way to end the day, perhaps the worst bit was going through Windsor park which seemed like hard work for some reason.

Not sure they are really for me - I prefer taking in the views a bit more and a leisurely pace, but I'm glad I did it. But if any one has any suggestions for similar ones I might be tempted.
A shitter and a giggler.

« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:48:13 am »
I quickly came to learn that you need to find a pace that works for you - and if that is so you can take in the views etc then that is fine.  Max time allowed for 100k works out at 6hr 40 mins.

It's easy to get caught in a group that may be going at a "leisurely" pace for them but is just that little bit too quick for you.  If so don't be tempted to keep up and struggle, there will be others behind you, or just cruise along on your own for a while.

I hope you try others.  There is a good 100k from Pamber Heath (near Basingstoke) on May 9 that has (as most of them do) a very pleasant route.

Thnaks for the Bikely route.  I downloaded it to my new Garmin toy and it mainly worked well.  I think I had the wrong setting on the GPS to only follow roads so the walk across the river at Hambledon, the foot/cycle ways and Windsor Great Park through it completely!

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2009, 11:55:17 am »
Thnaks for the Bikely route.  I downloaded it to my new Garmin toy and it mainly worked well.  I think I had the wrong setting on the GPS to only follow roads so the walk across the river at Hambledon, the foot/cycle ways and Windsor Great Park through it completely!

One trick of using a mapping GPS is knowing when it won't be able to help you, and knowing what to do at that time. Audaxes often use small sections of route that cars can't use, or aren't even on maps.

Uploading a track that uses manually placed points for the non-routeable sections can help, but it'll be confusing if you're using prompted instructions rather than following the track line on a map.

« Reply #15 on: 25 April, 2009, 12:56:31 pm »
Excellent ride - and the Brevet card turned up today, only a week since the ride!

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2009, 06:39:28 pm »
Would have been a nice ride if I'd been healthy enough, apart from being 2 miles from home half way round it, then heading off into the blue yonder again.

Ah well. Another time.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #17 on: 29 March, 2012, 11:37:46 pm »
Some of us from Reading intend to do this little ride next month. Will anyone from this manor be on it?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #18 on: 30 March, 2012, 08:22:23 am »
Some of us from Reading intend to do this little ride next month. Will anyone from this manor be on it?
+1 :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 01 April, 2012, 11:26:47 pm »
On the off-chance - does anyone have a GPX file of the route? Jellied put one on Bikely a while back, but said afterwards that it wasn't quite right. The real one's a bit longer, for a start.

« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2012, 06:32:05 pm »
I´m also going to be there and i´m looking for a GPX to guide me because don´t know at all the area.

« Reply #21 on: 10 April, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
Well, here's one I prepared earlier -

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=376916

Let me know if there are any problems.

It was very fiddly. It's a very fiddly route to start with, because of fitting in all those bridges, & three of the bridges & several other parts of the route aren't recognised by Google Maps, which is a bit inconvenient when trying to plot the route. I was using Bikehike to get round that, switching to plotting by hand on the OS window where necessary, but it ran out of OS map tiles before the last bridge, so I had to guess a little bit. Shouldn't be a problem, though, from what the aerial view shows.

I was using Google Street View to check bits in the eastern stretches, where I don't know the roads.

« Reply #22 on: 13 April, 2012, 02:40:32 pm »
Last call . .. .  anyone else going to be there?

So far it's me with two others (Mrs B has dropped out) riding over from Reading to the start, Octave, & CEScorcio.

We can be recognised by -

Me: riding an Enigma Etape with Super C rack bag, accompanied by a tall Scotsman on a grey Bianchi, & a bloke with curly dark hair (never wears a helmet) on a green & yellow Mercian with a hub dynamo. All middle aged.

« Reply #23 on: 13 April, 2012, 03:44:20 pm »
Super C rack bag

What's a Super Crack bag?  Is it UCI legal?

« Reply #24 on: 13 April, 2012, 03:44:58 pm »
I'm in. I think.

I'm doing the HofE 300 tomorrow, but hope I can still haul myself round another 100 on Sun. Never tried that before, might be vv slow!!