Author Topic: Failure, Penance, Pain. Darlo to Reeth  (Read 6303 times)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
Failure, Penance, Pain. Darlo to Reeth
« on: 03 May, 2016, 07:20:34 pm »
I planned to ride out to Tan Hill back when I lived in Toytown.  I always thought newtoncap and I could do it together as a challenging century.  I was fit then.  I live in Darlington now, which takes a big chunk off the distance but hardly anything off the climbing.  Time to tick this one off, I thought.   Challenge yourself, I thought.

I got on the scales this morning.  13 stone 13 3/4.  How the hell did that happen?  Oh, yeah, pies.  This is going to be an interesting day.  Four stone extra to lug round with me.

I faffed for two.  Hours.  And left the house just after 9am.  But my nails were cut and my eyeliner was immaculate.  I didn't try and break any records, I wanted to keep plenty in the tank for when it got hard.

The headwind kicked in fairly early on, and got stronger and stronger.  I arrived in Richmond, convinced I'd worked out how to negotiate the one-way system the last time I was here, convinced I knew where I was going, convinced I wasn't going to get lost again.

I stopped at the Station.  It isn't a station.  There haven't been trains here for decades.  Once I'd stopped being confused about that I found that there was a decent cafe (massive cheesy scone, butter, proper pot of decent tea, £4), a cinema, a shop, and a beautifully restored light open space with the original station architecture well preserved.  It's a good place.

Of course I went the wrong way.  When a bunch of squaddies overtook me running on the path (yeah, I know) I realised I was heading for Catterick.  I did a u-ey and nipped on to the cycle path, which as it turned out was really lovely and peaceful.  You can follow it to Easby (a wonderful ruined abbey) but I turned left for Richmond.  It was a packed earth path, a bit skoggy where it was still wet, but very usable and magnitudes more pleasant than the road.  Back on my route, I paused for a look at the Swale.

Failed Tan Hill ride 3 5 16 004 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

My route took me beside the River for a couple of hundred yards.  There was nobody else around, the castle walls looming up hundreds of feet on my right, and the burbling river on my left - paid for by a climb immediately I got on the road, of course.

At this point I went off-route again.  I thought I was going the right way.  A Garmin and a paper map, useless in my hands.  The road went up, and up, and there were warning signs - Here there be tanks.  I had a feeling I was going to end up in the right place if I just kept going, and the sun was shining, and it was that wonderful moorland landscape, just brown grass blowing, silent but for the wind. 

Nope, no  clue whatsoever. by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

Eventually the top of the hill came, as it always must, and the green of the valley started open out in front of me.  I recognised the hills from previous rides out here though I'd taken a different route all those other times.

Every old sock meets an old shoe by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

I didn't realise it at the time, but those hills in the distance would be my route home.

There were more squaddies as I came to the bottom of the fantastic descent.  They were fully dressed in combat gear, with what looked like rifles.  So young.  I took the road for Downholme and my junction.

Failed Tan Hill ride 3 5 16 016 by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

I could see Reeth!   I stopped at the Dales Bike Centre for lunch (Leek and potato soup, bread, chocolate brownie, tea, £6) and a wee, then rode through Reeth.  The facewind was beginning to get boring.  Grabbing the bull by the horns I started up the Arkengarthdale road.  After a mile or so it really wasn't fun any more.  I turned round, and resolved to take the road along the other side of the valley.  I'd been warned it was hilly - this seemed like suitable penance for wimping out of Tan Hill.

Hilly?!  That road is preposterous.  But stunningly beautiful, and with a fabulous surface.  If it hadn't been for the fact that I was carrying the extra weight of a six year old child, I might have ridden it.  As it was?  No chance.  But I didn't mind really, because the views of the Valley, and the tiny road I'd come along in the morning, were stunning.  Also, tailwind.

Hill of Penance by Ruth Irving, on Flickr

By the time I was back in Richmond I was knackered, and starting an optical migraine (oops, hadn't drunk enough).  I took a chance on the road to Scotch Corner.  Richmond is Roadworks Central at the moment, which worked in  my favour - when there are temporary traffic lights, you get a long respite between going-home traffic echelons.  I negotiated the roadworks at Scotch Corner and toiled very very slowly home via Barton and Middleton Tyas.  I swear there's lava at the bottom of some of those potholes.

A very long day, and a tired body at the end of it.  I failed to reach my goal so I'll have to go and do it again now.
Milk please, no sugar.

Re: Failure, Penance, Pain. Darlo to Reeth
« Reply #1 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:47:40 pm »
Thanks for sharing ... this achieving goals lark is over rated. I must write up my failed Easter ride sometime!

« Reply #2 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:53:18 pm »
I find Arkengarthdale hard work too!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 03 May, 2016, 07:57:19 pm »
That wasn't a failure; a ride like that in that scenery with that weather is never going to be a failure, and I'm glad to read that you are maintaining standards, I must confess I rarely do my nails before a ride and never wear eyeliner.  Perhaps I should start.  Perhaps not.  Chapeau.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #4 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:27:21 pm »
Looks like a long, hilly ride to me. Super report, super pics. Thanks.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:33:39 pm »

Only about 50 miles Pancho  :-[

Strava says 1468 metres of climbing.  Is that a lot?
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #6 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:39:40 pm »
You know that really hilly 100k out of Seaham in March we route checked? That was only 200m more climbing. than your ride :)

Looks a lovely day out. I don't think that counts as a failure, just a different achievement. Also, it's not "only about 50 miles", it's more than 57 miles. Chapeau!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #7 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:41:42 pm »
That's more riding than I've done this year (other than short commutes).    And you had good weather & 2 nice cafe stops.  :thumbsup:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Pancho

« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:41:27 am »

Only about 50 miles Pancho  :-[

Strava says 1468 metres of climbing.  Is that a lot?

I suppose it depends where you live.

Last week I rode 25 total to the shops and back. I've just plugged my route into cycle.travel - which tells me that the entire trip involved less than 120m of climbing! So, yeah, from here on the coastal plains, 1468m of climbing is an awful, awful lot of climbing. It would utterly defeat me[1] - even if I used the 24 other gears at my disposal that currently remain virgin and untouched.

[1] Not that "me" should be used as a yardstick of achievement by anyone claiming the mantle of "cyclist". I'm an unfit POB who aspires to return to 50+ mile days and (gentle) hills.

« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2016, 08:55:02 am »
That's a lot of climbing Ruthie.   Only Deano would consider it 'flat'!   :D

Great write up and piccies - thanks.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2016, 09:57:47 am »
Lovely photos. And every ride you smile on is a success in my book.

I planned to ride out to Tan Hill back when I lived in Toytown. 
Is this Toytown a real place or a nickname for somewhere? Sorry, I might have asked this before on this very forum! My mother had a friend whose surname was Toy, so I can imagine it as a real place, but then again I've just watched that bizarre Trumpton video.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:16:06 am »
Great report, must log it to memory cells for next time I am home at parents with bike...
Regards,

Joergen

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:19:11 am »
Lovely photos. And every ride you smile on is a success in my book.

I planned to ride out to Tan Hill back when I lived in Toytown. 
Is this Toytown a real place or a nickname for somewhere? Sorry, I might have asked this before on this very forum! My mother had a friend whose surname was Toy, so I can imagine it as a real place, but then again I've just watched that bizarre Trumpton video.

Ingleby Barwick, nicknamed Toytown due to all the little boxes that all look the same.  It's a bit ticky-tacky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingleby_Barwick
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:29:22 am »
I am slightly disappointed. Ingleby-Barwick would also be a good surname though. That whole Wiki page is somewhat ticky-tacky. They seem very proud of their "collection of local shops" and 9 take-aways.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pancho

« Reply #14 on: 04 May, 2016, 11:56:57 am »
The term, "ticky tacky" wrt houses came from the song "Little Boxes" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Boxes. Particularly associated with US post-war mass produced housing as exemplared by Levittown.

(I'm handicapped in life by a fascination with cities and urban design - apologies for OT!)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:12:42 pm »
Beautiful pictures which really capture the gorgeous countryside around there - and the hills. The hills!!! Arkengarthdale makes me gurn, it just wobbles up and up and up. I love your write up too, it was very entertaining to read. Thank you Ruthie - really brilliant that you are no longer even talking about mojo - you're just getting out and enjoying* yourself. Brilliant.

*for given value of fun.

« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2016, 12:22:57 pm »
Nice report, plus pics :thumbsup:

Looked like nice, hilly ride ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17 on: 04 May, 2016, 01:42:07 pm »
Beautiful pictures which really capture the gorgeous countryside around there - and the hills. The hills!!! Arkengarthdale makes me gurn, it just wobbles up and up and up. I love your write up too, it was very entertaining to read. Thank you Ruthie - really brilliant that you are no longer even talking about mojo - you're just getting out and enjoying* yourself. Brilliant.

*for given value of fun.

I was thinking, G, that before you nob off start your new job, we should ride round some of the churches up here.  I've not been to Escomb with you, and St Agatha's at Gilling looked interesting, and I don't think you've even been to my parish church.  Is it worth me putting something together?
Milk please, no sugar.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:06:31 pm »

*for given value of fun.

I was thinking, G, that before you nob off start your new job, we should ride round some of the churches up here.  I've not been to Escomb with you, and St Agatha's at Gilling looked interesting, and I don't think you've even been to my parish church.  Is it worth me putting something together?

I would like this very much.

Samuel D

« Reply #19 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:22:49 pm »
Nice terrain and an interesting write-up.

How can you be bothered to take pictures when you’re slogging into a headwind, etc., etc.? I have often gone out with good intentions to take pictures and come home with nothing.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:30:32 pm »

How can you be bothered to take pictures when you’re slogging into a headwind, etc., etc.? I have often gone out with good intentions to take pictures and come home with nothing.

It's the equivalent of stopping to tie your shoelaces on a run.  You stop for a rest and it looks like you needed to take a photo, right then, honest.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:34:28 pm »
A reminder of what lovely countryside you have round your way Ruth. I must get oop North with the bike at some stage, it's been too long (in fact, I think it was '94 the last time I was riding in those parts. Yikes!)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:36:07 pm »
A reminder of what lovely countryside you have round your way Ruth. I must get oop North with the bike at some stage, it's been too long (in fact, I think it was '94 the last time I was riding in those parts. Yikes!)

You're owed some free accommodation Robh  :D 
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #23 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:40:49 pm »
  I failed to reach my goal so I'll have to go and do it again now.

A positive side to everything!

I'm going to have to start cycling again. Somehow
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pancho

« Reply #24 on: 04 May, 2016, 02:47:24 pm »

It's the equivalent of stopping to tie your shoelaces on a run.  You stop for a rest and it looks like you needed to take a photo, right then, honest.

Both options somewhat healthier than my perennial fallback: stop for fag.