Author Topic: Genius of Britain  (Read 1334 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Genius of Britain
« on: 04 June, 2010, 12:22:11 am »
I don't know if it's 100% accurate or not but it's brilliant. It's on 4OD if you wanna watch.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Genius of Britain
« Reply #1 on: 04 June, 2010, 12:56:29 am »
My mate disliked the program so much he sent this out

'I don't know if any of you have been watching the "Genius of Britain" series.  I've caught the odd bit of it, and yesterday I switched over when they were talking about Frank Whittle, he of the jet engine.  So I kept watching because I've long been a great fan.

But then the [bad word deleted] who was presenting completely misrepresented how the jet engine works and in essence told blatant lies.  Now if this was some populist show like Top Gear I wouldn't mind, but the whole point of this show is to reinvigorate the nation's waning interest in science (and presumably engineering, seeing as they had Mr Whittle's contraption).  It's hardly surprising few people give a shit when [bad word deleted]  like that tell blatant lies on TV.

To add insult to injury, not only did the [bad word deleted] tell a blatant and completely unnecessary lie, but, by misrepresenting how a jet engine works, also belittled Whittle's astounding success in actually making one that was effective.  What a [bad word deleted] (the presenter, not Whittle).'

'The turbine at the back of a jet does not 'speed up' the air.  It does precisely the opposite.  The speeding air from the combustion chamber drives the turbine at the back round, which drives the compressor fan at the front to force air in.  The trick with a jet engine is to make the turbine sufficiently efficient that it can drive the compressor and still leave sufficient surplus energy for other purposes - e.g. making an aeroplane move or powering a generator. 

In the early experiments with turbine engines, they couldn't achieve an energy surplus.  In fact, they generally had a deficit, which meant that the engine consumed more power than it produced and needed supplementary motors to keep it going.

If, as Dyson suggested, the turbine 'speeds up' the air, what the hell would be driving the turbine?  He, of all people, should understand these things.' 

It's funny when engineers get wound up....

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #2 on: 04 June, 2010, 01:03:51 am »
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #3 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:05:08 am »
I'm glad I haven't seen the show. After many hours pissing about with jets at uni, I'd be just as pissed off as Gerald's mate.

Most people don't seem to be taking the thread referenced by biggsy very seriously (which is fine) but it is a real irritant of mine that we are constantly fed bullshit.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:53:35 am »
What a tosser.  And who let him say such stuff?  Producer, researcher, writer - did no one understand what the hell they were on about? >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:11:44 am »
What a tosser.  And who let him say such stuff?  Producer, researcher, writer - did no one understand what the hell they were on about? >:(

Arts graduates.  Tossers. 

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 04 June, 2010, 10:14:48 am »
Steady.  I've got a BA. ;D  But I do know about how a jet engine works, and lots more sciency stuff besides.  It's just plain ignorance.  I do get pissed off with people laughing about their inability at maths or science in a way they would be mortified to do about illiteracy.  >:(
Getting there...

« Reply #7 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:04:28 am »
In defence of Dyson I must point out that other than my mate, none of us who got sent the email could spot Dyson's error, and the only person who did got a first in Mech Eng.

« Reply #8 on: 04 June, 2010, 06:14:51 pm »
Probably just simplification for presentational purposes. Difficult to see how they could accurately and succinctly describe the technology in terms the average viewer would follow.

Anyway, in the last part last night there were superb shots of Dyson riding his stainless steel New Series Moulton!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #9 on: 04 June, 2010, 08:59:36 pm »
That's not simplification; that's simpletonification.
Getting there...

« Reply #10 on: 04 June, 2010, 09:03:01 pm »
The turbine is connected to the the compressor, so the overall effect of the turbine/compressor system is to drive more air through the engine.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:01:46 pm »
Probably just simplification for presentational purposes. Difficult to see how they could accurately and succinctly describe the technology in terms the average viewer would follow.
Exactly.

Boring geek pedantry.

(and if anyone understands airflow, i imagine Mr Dyson does).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #12 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:05:13 pm »
Clearly he doesn't.  I've had a few of his alleged vacuum cleaners.

I don't mind things being simplified.  Really I don't.  I do mind people talking bollocks.
Getting there...

« Reply #13 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:22:48 pm »
I'm glad I didn't watch it; and c'mon explaining a gas turbine isn't [no pun intended at all] rocket science!

This
'The turbine at the back of a jet does not 'speed up' the air.  It does precisely the opposite.  The speeding air from the combustion chamber drives the turbine at the back round, which drives the compressor fan at the front to force air in.  The trick with a jet engine is to make the turbine sufficiently efficient that it can drive the compressor and still leave sufficient surplus energy for other purposes - e.g. making an aeroplane move or powering a generator.  
is reasonable, simple and fairly accessible to most people!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2010, 12:30:25 pm »
You can envisage the turbine/compressor as a pump which is subject to positive feedback, due to what happens in the middle. Like a turbocharger in an internal combustion engine. Looked at in those terms the rather sketchy description makes more sense, a turbocharger is more obviously a single component, but performs a similar function, feeding back energy from the output of the system to magnify gas flow. I take it the programme was one of those self-congratulatory jobs pointing out how great we Brits are, rather than a primer in jet engine technology.