Author Topic: Anyone else having problems with Bikehike tonight?  (Read 1621 times)

Anyone else having problems with Bikehike tonight?
« on: 15 February, 2014, 09:01:30 pm »
Is it just me? 

I can't seem to get it to route properly or create elevation data tonight  :-\
Does not play well with others

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
Re: Anyone else having problems with Bikehike tonight?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:41:14 pm »
Dunno about tonight but I've had a lot of problems over the last few weeks using it on my laptop.  It does a weird thing where it seems to get stuck on a route, especially if unchecking the follow road box to enable access to a cycle path, it starts creating a direct line back to the start. The other issue Is that it won't reduce the number of trackpoints which is necessary for the etrex meaning I have to use Base Camp ... something I usuallly try to avoid.  I've been exploring other mapping sites 'ride with gps' and 'gpsies' which seem okay but would rather a fully functional BikeHike.

« Reply #2 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:43:10 pm »
I use Tyre toTravel exclusively to generate routes. I use BikeHike to check the ‘climbing’ m purely out of interest.

After doing the maths and physics, taking a longer route round a hill usually ends up more calorific expensive than simply riding the shorter distance up the hill and down the other side.

If one is building a Grimp route for AAA points, check with the AAA Sec’ which elevation determination system is preferred.

« Reply #3 on: 16 February, 2014, 08:17:09 am »
Dunno about tonight but I've had a lot of problems over the last few weeks using it on my laptop.  It does a weird thing where it seems to get stuck on a route, especially if unchecking the follow road box to enable access to a cycle path, it starts creating a direct line back to the start. The other issue Is that it won't reduce the number of trackpoints which is necessary for the etrex meaning I have to use Base Camp ... something I usuallly try to avoid.  I've been exploring other mapping sites 'ride with gps' and 'gpsies' which seem okay but would rather a fully functional BikeHike.

Yeah it is behaving very strangely.  Last night I'd put the points in, but instead of connecting them in a circular route like normal, it kind of drew a tree!  The the elevation profiling would just not work at all. 

I use Tyre toTravel exclusively to generate routes. I use BikeHike to check the ‘climbing’ m purely out of interest.

After doing the maths and physics, taking a longer route round a hill usually ends up more calorific expensive than simply riding the shorter distance up the hill and down the other side.

If one is building a Grimp route for AAA points, check with the AAA Sec’ which elevation determination system is preferred.

It is indeed to build a Grimp route, although initially for AAA for myself, I have now decided to not-get-involved with anything which may become an obsession haha.  However, I am keen to put a BP route together and maybe even look at running it as an event.   :thumbsup:

I was going to ride it as a perm, then send the route to the AAA man for checking. 

Will look at TyretoTravel to create the route then profile it when Bikehike decides to work. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 16 February, 2014, 09:08:27 pm »
It worked fine for me this morning, but I wasn't creating a route, just reloading an old one to make sure that it was the route I wanted to cycle, before putting it on the Garmin.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2014, 07:34:32 pm »
I have had lots of problems in the last few days - generally it just shows blank boxes where the maps should be! I've tried using it earlier in the evening but still no joy.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2014, 09:47:08 pm »
The guy emailed me and told me to clear my cache which seemed to work

So if you haven't already done that, it may be worth a try :)