Author Topic: Mr. Pickwick's March Madness, 200k - Tewkesbury, March 2nd. 2019. PBP qualifier  (Read 3076 times)

Still a few places available for a Classic Spring 200.

Audax experienced Controls at Bromyard (breakfast), Hopewell Coliery for lunch (Forest of Dean), run by the girls that previously ran Dean Heritage. And afternoon snack at The Black Shed Shepherds Patch.

Great route with superb views throughout. Ride is worth 2AAA, so not only can you use the ride towards PBP qualification, you can also use it towards RTTY and AAATTY.

Free light breakfast at start.

Route mainly on quiet roads and lanes. Short sections on traffic-free National Cycle Routes.

AAA section at start of ride, second half of ride is benign in every sense.

Full details at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/19-376/

Full route details and ride info supplied to all entrants.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Thanks for the reminder Mark. Just signed up.

I have signed up, although I'm off to Gran Canaria the next day, that may have been a little ambitious  :thumbsup: See you on the day.
Eddington Number 75

If I’d realised a team mate was doing the Spring Tonic, I’d have entered it, but I’ve just entered this one, in the hope of a warmer ECE!
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

As we're full, ride details have been sent out to riders' auk registered e-mail, or in post to those using RM.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Mark hopefully you got my email saying I'm a DNS.

I'm planning on doing the ride on Sunday - so if people can keep a lookout for a confused old git struggling up anything resembling a hill it'll most likely be me.
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

"Sod that for lark", I thought as looked at the weather forecast for Sunday. Torrential rain apparently  :(

A quick change of plan later and instead I've decided to brave the freakishly mild and sunny weather and ride it tomorrow  :thumbsup:

Not that anyone's interested, of course....

I will be contacting all entrants on an individual basis within the next 24 hours.

However, for those that also follow news via this forum.

Following a sudden family bereavement, Flowerdews will not be open on Saturday.

To that end, and the fact there are no venues of comparable capacity, Bromyard will be a free control at the week end, just retain your receipt as proof of passsage.

I will be trying to arrange alternative venues. And advise accordingly

My thoughts are with the bereaved.

EDIT 27/02/19@15:53.

For those on FB, control will now be here. Usual info contai ed within page.

https://www.facebook.com/anchorcafe/

I rode the route on Wednesday in simply glorious weather. Despite a -2 degree start the sun was out all day, the temperature rose into the upper teens, combined with a scenic route made for a superb day's ride.  :thumbsup:

However, there's a route diversion which I don't recall you having mentioned Mark.

Firstly though, I'm very sorry to hear of the Flowerdews' café bereavement. I rode straight through Bromyard not paying attention to the control there.

The diversion is to the pedestrian & cycle path over the Severn bridge. Usually (every time in fact) it's been the path on the north-side but this is currently blocked and signs divert you under the bridge, through a dodgy pedestrian tunnel with dodgy inhabitants and way too much broken glass.  :o  Once through the tunnel there is a three-way junction with a distinct absence of signs. Turn left! This takes you over the Severn on the south-side path.

Once over the Severn you face the challenge of getting back on route. Follow the footpath and there's a pedestrian bridge over the M48. However this culminates in a ruddy great flight of steps which you have little chance riding up - so it means carrying your bike.  >:(  You're now in the service station; follow the exit signs to rejoin the route.

Alternatively you can listen to your GPS's suggestion that you actually want to return to Chepstow by the quickest route and enjoy a lively lap of the M48 roundabout...

If anyone finds it helpful I've uploaded a GPX track of this diversion here: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32055233

I rode the route on Wednesday in simply glorious weather. Despite a -2 degree start the sun was out all day, the temperature rose into the upper teens, combined with a scenic route made for a superb day's ride.  :thumbsup:

However, there's a route diversion which I don't recall you having mentioned Mark.

Firstly though, I'm very sorry to hear of the Flowerdews' café bereavement. I rode straight through Bromyard not paying attention to the control there.

The diversion is to the pedestrian & cycle path over the Severn bridge. Usually (every time in fact) it's been the path on the north-side but this is currently blocked and signs divert you under the bridge, through a dodgy pedestrian tunnel with dodgy inhabitants and way too much broken glass.  :o  Once through the tunnel there is a three-way junction with a distinct absence of signs. Turn left! This takes you over the Severn on the south-side path.

Once over the Severn you face the challenge of getting back on route. Follow the footpath and there's a pedestrian bridge over the M48. However this culminates in a ruddy great flight of steps which you have little chance riding up - so it means carrying your bike.  >:(  You're now in the service station; follow the exit signs to rejoin the route.

Alternatively you can listen to your GPS's suggestion that you actually want to return to Chepstow by the quickest route and enjoy a lively lap of the M48 roundabout...

If anyone finds it helpful I've uploaded a GPX track of this diversion here: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/32055233

Thanks for this Rob.

I'm aware That the cycle route on The Old Severn Bridge crossing has been switching sides quite a lot recently. Certainly last week end the open cycle path was on the south side.

The north side path is actually the anomaly, NCR 4 has always officially been the south side of the bridge. Then either use the dedicated cycle route path adjacent to the A403 under the M48, or cross the A403 then take the lane towards Manor Farm - which will drop you onto the B4461.

I'm not sure if the bridge over the toll booths is still officially there, but that also provides an "easy" escape through Severn View Services and on to the B4461.

(Just wait until the Brevet Cymru re-routes are announced)  :-\

There are planned closures to both Severn bridge crossings. Having been passed from English to Welsh and tben back to English authorities, Phil from Highways England confirmed tbat THERE IS NO PLANNED OR OPEN REQUESTS TO CLOSE the M48 crossing TO NON-MOTORISED TRAFFIC.

so it looks likely you'll be using tbe south side crossing whilst toll booths are removed.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!

Just to reiterate the tunnel giving access to the south side of the bridge was strewn with broken glass last Sunday, I walked through carrying the bike. There's also a fair bit on the path dropping down to the tunnel. Once you get over don't to the bridge that Wobbly took, bear round to the right and it will take you down to the dual carriageway but as Blacksheep points out it's quite easy to cross and take the Manor Farm access to the B road and you're back on track. 

The diversion is to the pedestrian & cycle path over the Severn bridge.  . . . This takes you over the Severn on the south-side path.
Once over the Severn you face the challenge of getting back on route.

. . . last week end the open cycle path was on the south side.

The north side path is actually the anomaly, NCR 4 has always officially been the south side of the bridge. Then either use the dedicated cycle route path adjacent to the A403 under the M48, or cross the A403 then take the lane towards Manor Farm - which will drop you onto the B4461.
Route across A403 and through Aust is this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29410799?beta=false

Route across A403 and through Aust is this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29410799?beta=false

it is, but with the closure of the M48, it would be also easy to follow the NCR signs.

Once you get over don't to the bridge that Wobbly took...

It should be noted that - for those who enjoy carrying bikes up flights of stairs - there is a petrol station immediately in front of you. Handy for a refill/refuel if needed.

A good day (and night) out for me. Getting rained on cycling to the event and stopping in Chipping Norton to put on my waterproof socks, only to discover I’d left them in the garage, didn’t help. Neither did the discovery my garage stop (introduced to me by TG) was closed for a refurb. Took it steadyish but arrived at 6:30, and was soon feeling the cold, waiting for the doors to open.

I decided to start behind the field (partly to avoid ‘guardless bikes), giving me time to enjoy a few coffees, let the quorn sausage sarnie settle, and recharge the Garmin. I hadn’t done this ride before, so the early steep Malvern hills were a shock. All the cafe stops were new, and I enjoyed the flapjack, macaroni cheese, and ginormous carrot cake I had on the way round, whilst chatting with some familiar faces. I believe that was the first time I used the other cycle path on the bridge, and it was the first time using the flatter route afterwards (got the Thornbury route to not enjoy on the Dean). Teamed up for a fast ride into Gloucester and out on the A38, and this time I actually ate food with my pint at the finish, enjoying the veggie pizza.

I left around 8:40 in drizzle, which vanished as the winds picked up all around me. No hassle from the drivers chasing me up the long hill after Toddington, and I felt better than after the Jan Sale ride. Tried not to overdo myself, as I have Stages power sessions at the gym on Mondays, and we’re supposed to arrive with fresh legs. The wind died by Stow on the Wold, and I counted down the steep climbs (some must be worth AAA points) culminating with the one upto Aynho. Got home at 2am (only five mins longer than the outward leg). Texted Mark (he’s such a worrier).

Thanks Mark.
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

@Bikeabilityman

:thumbsup: