Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 237320 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #300 on: 30 April, 2010, 02:18:09 pm »
What 2FE's video doesn't show is that the solid line on the path is of the slightly raised hump variety, not the ribbed hard shoulder type on motorways, and will be slippery in the wet! You might not have time to wobble off the path before your back wheel is on one side of the line, your front on the other, and you sprawled over/under a car.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #301 on: 30 April, 2010, 02:42:58 pm »
What 2FE's video doesn't show is that the solid line on the path is of the slightly raised hump variety, not the ribbed hard shoulder type on motorways, and will be slippery in the wet! You might not have time to wobble off the path before your back wheel is on one side of the line, your front on the other, and you sprawled over/under a car.

I came along here in the wet last night and the raised line on the path is like ice.
Never argue with an idot....
They just bring you down to their level
then win on experience.

2 Flat Erics You Tube Channel

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #302 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »
Seen the new cycle lane at Shoebury east beach  :hand:

Took the chance to get some video of the new and pointless Shoebury East Beach path this morning. Clicky Here
then win on experience.

« Reply #303 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:16:17 pm »
Took the chance to get some video of the new and pointless Shoebury East Beach path this morning. Clicky Here
I suspect it's possible boat manoeuvring that is the cause of the first off road part of the path. Either that or they wanted symmetry in the google satellite shots.
I'm glad the speed humps have gone too, vicious buggers they were!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #304 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:21:22 pm »

Plenty of pointlessness there.
<pedant> Is there any chance you can advance the timestamp on your camera by three years, three months and six days? It's displaying 24/1/2007 (upside down) at present.

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #305 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »
I suspect it's possible boat manoeuvring that is the cause of the first off road part of the path. Either that or they wanted symmetry in the google satellite shots.

The speed bumps went a couple of months back and they were really vicious little buggers
then win on experience.

Clandy

« Reply #306 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:12:33 pm »
I rarely cycle along the road on Eastbeach, I much prefer to cycle on the grass. Good to see another cyclist recording the roads etc. in southend. Nice one 2FE!

« Reply #307 on: 30 April, 2010, 07:18:03 pm »
Yeabut it was a good laugh watching the XR3Turbo racing club nearly ripping the exhaust from the car  ;D ;D ;D

The speed bumps went a couple of months back and they were really vicious little buggers

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #308 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:06:31 pm »

Plenty of pointlessness there.
<pedant> Is there any chance you can advance the timestamp on your camera by three years, three months and six days? It's displaying 24/1/2007 (upside down) at present.

Correcting the timestamp.... now therein lies a problem. The English version of the instructions on how to do this make no sense at all. I think they simply ran the original Chinese instructions through an automatic translation program. Im going to keep plugging away at it though until I work it out. Having the wrong timestamp bugs me too.

As for the timestamp being upside down.. I had to do a bodge job of mounting the sunglasses camera onto my helmet. (I wear prescription glasses so can't wear the sunglasses cam as normal). Best way to fix them on the helmet securly was upside down. I then flip the video back up the right way once it's on the computer.
then win on experience.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #309 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:37:31 pm »
This was at 08:30 yesterday morning....

and this was at the same time this morning.

This morning was quite different though as the van pulled off of the road into the cycle lane, narrowly missing me, then drove down the cycle lane until he pulled up outside Ocean Beach.
I thanked the driver for almost killing me. He said he didn't see me.  ::-) I pointed out that he was parked in a cycle lane which was illegal, he said there was nowhere else to park. I suggested the loading bay outside the Marine Activities Centre and he laughed and said "you expect me to unload 600 bottles and barrow them from there?". I told him that was his, and Ocean Beach's problem. My problem was a truck parked in the cycle lane. I gave up, took the picture and left. Email will be on its way to his employers in due course.    >:(
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

Clandy

« Reply #310 on: 30 April, 2010, 08:44:32 pm »
Not only is he parked in the cycle lane, he is parked on double yellows. DYs are deemed by the law to extend all the way to the pavement across anything, including cycle lanes, that may be between the DYs and the pavement.
 I drove along the seafront this morning about ten, and saw the Beez Neez van from one of my earlier videos was driving along the cycle lane to Ocean Beach.

Maybe it is time Southend's cyclists mounted a concerted campaign to get a box junction marking painted in the cycle lane outside Ocean beach, as these incidents are happening on a daily basis, and it is obvious the proprietor of Ocean Beach is encouraging delivery drivers to continue this illegal practice.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #311 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »
Not only is he parked in the cycle lane, he is parked on double yellows. DYs are deemed by the law to extend all the way to the pavement across anything, including cycle lanes, that may be between the DYs and the pavement.

Perfectly legal (to stop on double yellows) for loading unless there is a 'no loading' order. If he stopped for a cup of tea (ie parked) then it would be illegal.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070563.pdf refers.

As in England the cycle path is part of the carriageway then he is not illegal. In Scotland he may well have been depending on status of the vehicle and what he is doing.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

2_Flat_Erics

• 2 Flat Eric's
« Reply #312 on: 30 April, 2010, 09:40:59 pm »

Perfectly legal (to stop on double yellows) for loading unless there is a 'no loading' order. If he stopped for a cup of tea (ie parked) then it would be illegal.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_070563.pdf refers.

As in England the cycle path is part of the carriageway then he is not illegal. In Scotland he may well have been depending on status of the vehicle and what he is doing.

..d

I've just read the page David posted and my understanding is a little different.

My understanding from that page is that you can stop for loading on a single yellow line but not on a double yellow. This also seems to be confirmed by Rule 238 of the highway code.
then win on experience.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #313 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:49:37 pm »

..d

I've just read the page David posted and my understanding is a little different.

My understanding from that page is that you can stop for loading on a single yellow line but not on a double yellow. This also seems to be confirmed by Rule 238 of the highway code.

My understanding is that double yellow and single yellow are identical except that single yellow are time limited.

Parking, waiting, stopping to set down or pick up passengers, and loading/unloading are four separate things. Rule 247 applies to loading restrictions.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

FatBloke

« Reply #314 on: 01 May, 2010, 07:57:42 am »
Regardless of whether or not loading is or isn't permitted he is causing an obstruction, which IS illegal.
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #315 on: 01 May, 2010, 08:31:17 am »
Regardless of whether or not loading is or isn't permitted he is causing an obstruction, which IS illegal.

+1

Tbf to the council truck at least an effort has been made to get to one side of the path. Outside Ocean beach it is never like that  >:(

« Reply #316 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:06:04 am »
However - and I have this on best authority from my local plod (ok, a PCSO) when commenting about pavement parking - if you can get past then it is not an obstruction.  They even gave a figure of 1 metre.

FatBloke

« Reply #317 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:53:31 am »
Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

Clandy

« Reply #318 on: 02 May, 2010, 05:08:24 pm »
Took this a couple of days ago, I was wondering if this is the first bike this lane has ever seen… it is supposed to be the correct way to join the seafront cycle lane east of the Sealife Centre when traveling east. But from what I have seen, most either ride along the promenade to join the cycle lane, or do as I do which is to do a proper right-turn manoeuvre in the road.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #319 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:08:47 am »
Actually I have found, cycling round York with small people, that those 'filter off left in order to turn right' lanes can be quite useful.  It depends on what your chances are of safely getting across the main road are, of course, but it does allow less confident cyclists a way of getting over and being able to find a sensible time to do so from a place where they feel safe.  We have one of the way to nursery which lets you filter left onto the shared use path that then leads you to the traffic lights where you go straight ahead (so the same as if you'd gone right at the original junction) and it does make a tricky junction slower but easier with the CrinklyCub in tow.  Although I'm not convinced that the needs/preferences of my 8 year old are a strong enough argument to justify how much some of these facilities probably cost, both financially and in terms of space... and I suspect most parents with kids/not very confident cyclists do as you noticed and just use the pavement.

« Reply #320 on: 03 May, 2010, 09:35:07 am »
Rule 243
DO NOT stop or park

near a school entrance
anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank
on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing
opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles
in front of an entrance to a property
on a bend
where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

That's a DO NOT rather than a MUST NOT, which is advisory -  Highway Code code for "you can really".

« Reply #321 on: 03 May, 2010, 10:35:51 am »
Rule 240 says:

You MUST NOT stop or park on

<snipped>
* a cycle track

Is the cycle farcility a cycle track or is it a cycle path/route/other?

FatBloke

« Reply #322 on: 03 May, 2010, 11:11:06 am »
HIGHWAYS ACT 1980

“cycle track” means a way constituting or comprised in a highway, being a way over which the public have the following, but no other, rights of way, that is to say, a right of way on pedal cycles [F3(other than pedal cycles which are motor vehicles within the meaning of [F4the Road Traffic Act 1988]] with or without a right of way on foot;

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #324 on: 05 May, 2010, 09:19:15 am »
Unsurprising.
Getting there...