Author Topic: Southend Cycle Town - part 2  (Read 238849 times)

Re: Southend Cycle Town - part 2
« Reply #875 on: 04 April, 2011, 12:44:25 pm »
May not be putting in a low fence, although what those posts are for... ???
Saw them putting spiky plants and non spiky plants.

Spikes near the border of private and public land and if there is room then non spiky plants.

fuzzy

« Reply #876 on: 04 April, 2011, 01:29:55 pm »
Looking at that last image- the posts could be for a fence- to reinforce (not strength wise) the boundary between public space and private property. The extension on the side of the building and the base of the wall seem to encompase the previous boundary (the concrete fence posts are 'growing' from the base of the wall).

« Reply #877 on: 04 April, 2011, 01:52:20 pm »
Looking at that last image- the posts could be for a fence-
Those posts, the concrete ones on the last image, used to be an old fence. It's this image and its posts

That I so badly referred to.  :facepalm:

Those short posts remain, as of today, and there have been several different kinds of spiky bush, non spiky bush, and general plantage put in the ground there.

« Reply #878 on: 06 April, 2011, 02:52:50 pm »
 :facepalm: Two new posts, one shown here, about one third the way in from the green fence. I almost walked into it this morning.  :o

The perfect height for a line at handlebar level!

I wonder if a gate or fence across the path is to go in? To slow things down for the corner.   ::-)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #879 on: 06 April, 2011, 04:02:11 pm »
:facepalm: Two new posts, one shown here, about one third the way in from the green fence. I almost walked into it this morning.  :o

I wonder if a gate or fence across the path is to go in? To slow things down for the corner.   ::-)

Have a look at the 'how to beat up your council' thread and the design manuals therin. FOI for the risk assessment and the design standards to which it complies..

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #880 on: 22 April, 2011, 09:44:51 pm »
Okay, so it's Good Friday. A bank Holiday with exceptionally warm weather. I thought I'd take my first cycle along the seafront through City Beach.

It was, as I suspected it would be, a complete nightmare. On the dedicated cycle path there were peds everywhere. So many that I have to stop to recharge the AirZound.
The shared use parts of the Golden Mile were the worst.

This is the most cycling unfriendly cycle path in the whole fricking world!!!!
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #881 on: 23 April, 2011, 10:24:57 am »
I am sure I saw Anna Waite cycling along the path near Shoebury/ShoreHouse on Monday afternoon  :o :o :o

AndyK

« Reply #882 on: 23 April, 2011, 11:46:48 am »
Okay, so it's Good Friday. A bank Holiday with exceptionally warm weather. I thought I'd take my first cycle along the seafront through City Beach.

I was, as I suspected it would be, a complete nightmare. On the ddedicated cycle path there were peds everywhere. So many that I have to stop to recharge the AirZound.
The shared use parts of the Golden Mile were the worst.

This is the most cycling unfriendly cycle path in the whole fricking world!!!!

Indeed.
    YouTube
        - Good Friday in Southend 'Cycle Town'.

It is best used in the early morning.

« Reply #883 on: 23 April, 2011, 05:44:24 pm »
AirZounds on pedestrians?  I have done it, rarely, and it's almost never right.  They are allowed on cycle paths after all.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #884 on: 23 April, 2011, 08:21:41 pm »
AirZounds on pedestrians?  I have done it, rarely, and it's almost never right.  They are allowed on cycle paths after all.
I AirZounded a pedestrian once.  Without looking, she was about to step off a kerb into the road on which I was approaching.  She jumped back, and she and her friends then giggled and thanked me as I passed.

But I gave it large with my "Dring-Dring" bell on the Grasshopper while descending the Tissington Trail at R17.  Most pedestrian and cyclist recipients took it in the manner intended - "Hello, here I am, approaching your position quite quickly, I don't mind stopping but I'd rather not", instead of "Get the F*** Out Of My Way".
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #885 on: 23 April, 2011, 09:45:34 pm »
I can understand the comments criticising the rider for being too fast, too aggressive, not sharing the space etc.  In an ideal environment it's quite easy for cyclists and pedestrians to share space. The problem is that this is far from the ideal environment for either.

The problem in Southend "Cycle Town", from what I have seen and know, is that these inadequate cycle lanes have been introduced in a way that makes it difficult for cycle users to continue to use the road without harassment. So, while they might be fine for someone who wants to potter along the seafront from Chalkwell to the Kursaal on a sunday morning, they are not suitable for someone who simply wants to get from west of Southend to east of Southend by bike along the shortest and flattest route.

The upshot is a collection of useless measures that make life more hazardous and inconvenient for cycle users.  So much for "Southend Cycle Town".

Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

AndyK

« Reply #886 on: 24 April, 2011, 09:17:09 am »
I am sure I saw Anna Waite cycling along the path near Shoebury/ShoreHouse on Monday afternoon  :o :o :o

She was probably trying out the new mountain bike trail link-up shared use footpath/cycle track between  the top of Gunners Park and the Ness Road slipway at Shoebury Common beach. (Coincidentally built by W&H Roads, Waite and her husband's civil engineering company).
It's a packed earth and sand surface so far as I can tell. I know I had to thoroughly clean my drive train the day I used it due to the amount of dust. Looks like it will be a quagmire in the rain. In the dry I'd say tourers should be ok on this surface if they go easy, but if you're a roadie don't bother. Looks like more 'everyone rides mountain bikes don't they?' thinking.

YouTube
        - Southend Cycle Town. New footpath/cycle track.

« Reply #887 on: 24 April, 2011, 12:34:46 pm »
I am sure I saw Anna Waite cycling along the path near Shoebury/ShoreHouse on Monday afternoon  :o :o :o

She was probably trying out the new mountain bike trail link-up shared use footpath/cycle track between  the top of Gunners Park and the Ness Road slipway at Shoebury Common beach. (Coincidentally built by W&H Roads, Waite and her husband's civil engineering company).
It's a packed earth and sand surface so far as I can tell. I know I had to thoroughly clean my drive train the day I used it due to the amount of dust. Looks like it will be a quagmire in the rain. In the dry I'd say tourers should be ok on this surface if they go easy, but if you're a roadie don't bother. Looks like more 'everyone rides mountain bikes don't they?' thinking.

YouTube
        - Southend Cycle Town. New footpath/cycle track.

It does make a good route, but I agree the surface is suspect. But its not finnished yet ?  :-\
I have been through there on a road bike, well on 25's anyway and it was ok. Better on the tourer though  :smug:
The rest of the seafront upto the amusements is ok imo, but after that I turn off and cut through Lucy Road. I find the town centre safer to negotiate on a bike than the cycling infrastructure west of the pier  :(

« Reply #888 on: 01 May, 2011, 09:33:42 am »
The "No Cycling" signs have been removed form Cockup Corner.

« Reply #889 on: 03 May, 2011, 12:17:13 pm »

Have a look at the 'how to beat up your council' thread and the design manuals therin. FOI for the risk assessment and the design standards to which it complies..

..d

Genius design feature of hidden non-reflective bollard on corner there!
So how do you spot that at night then?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #890 on: 03 May, 2011, 04:38:13 pm »

And you resisted the temptation to push her under a passing motor vehicle?   :demon:

;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Southend Cycle town, yea fuck right off!!!!
« Reply #891 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:06:09 pm »
Fucking lethal

I am so fucking angry, I am speechless  >:( >:(

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Southend Cycle town, yea fuck right off!!!!
« Reply #892 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:07:01 pm »
Is Matthew Parris a local Council Officer?

>:(
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #893 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:09:53 pm »
I see urgent reports of highway obstructions should be phoned through on 215000 immediately.

https://apps.southend.gov.uk/af3/an/default.aspx/RenderForm/?HideToolbar=1&F.Name=Fxs5x6ja-tD
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #894 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:10:26 pm »
The only possible purpose I can think of for that arrangement is to stop cyclists riding between the bollards. I'm struggling to think of a reason why they'd want to do that.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #895 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:14:03 pm »
Seems crazy - email your photos too.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

AndyK

« Reply #896 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:25:15 pm »

« Reply #897 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:31:23 pm »
Phoned through to the emergency switchboard. I told them it was lethal, someone is going to take a look.
Lets see what happens  :-\

« Reply #898 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »
Genius design feature of hidden non-reflective bollard on corner there!
So how do you spot that at night then?
You use a headlight and the new, fitted two days after pic, red reflectors on the posts. You can also use the skid marks, from the loose gravel surface, to know you're on a rather tight corner!

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #899 on: 03 May, 2011, 05:47:21 pm »
Seems very crazy indeed!  Seeing a rather faint "wet" on the ground, could it possibly be they had painted the bollards, then thought it better to put a bit of a barrier up to stop anyone getting wet paint on their clothes, then thought to padlock the barrier to the railing in case anyone nicks it?  Certainly looks like a lethal accident waiting to happen! at first I struggled to see the chain between the bollards and the barrier in the OPs picture!   :o