Author Topic: [HAMR] 10th January - Teethgrinder day 156  (Read 5462 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
[HAMR] 10th January - Teethgrinder day 156
« on: 10 January, 2016, 11:32:32 am »
Heading east and then north on well-trodden routes. I wonder if he's feeling lonely now that he no longer has Kurt to keep him company?

Good luck Steve!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Re: 10th January - Teethgrinder day 156
« Reply #1 on: 10 January, 2016, 11:45:08 am »
 ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #2 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:23:27 pm »
About as nice a day as you could possibly have for cycling at this time of year.  Could we see the first Godwin+ ride of the year?

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3 on: 10 January, 2016, 07:52:29 pm »
I drove through some absolutely awful conditions not far south of where Kajsa was riding this afternoon. As we crossed the Dartford bridge the sky looked biblical, with lightning and what was clearly torrential rain not that far away. As we crossed the North Downs the car displayed its "low outside temperature " warning, indicating 3 deg C or lower. Ours isn't the top of the range model so we don't have an outside temperature control.

« Reply #4 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:25:33 pm »
Oh.  We had wall-to-wall blue skies, light breeze and, although it was parky, there was no frost and it was probably warmer than average for January.

« Reply #5 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:50:59 pm »
Absolutely glorious day in the Chilterns.  We had 200 people out for our club reliability ride.  The phrase that was going round was 'Winter is the new Spring'!

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: 10 January, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
Ours isn't the top of the range model so we don't have an outside temperature control.

I thought all cars had a default setting to change the climate? Except for Volkswagen's which emit rainbows and unicorn farts.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 10 January, 2016, 09:40:18 pm »
Ours isn't the top of the range model so we don't have an outside temperature control.

I thought all cars had a default setting to change the climate? Except for Volkswagen's which emit rainbows and unicorn farts.
That's a battery powered vehicle for you.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #8 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:13:11 pm »
I drove through some absolutely awful conditions not far south of where Kajsa was riding this afternoon. As we crossed the Dartford bridge the sky looked biblical, with lightning and what was clearly torrential rain not that far away. As we crossed the North Downs the car displayed its "low outside temperature " warning, indicating 3 deg C or lower. Ours isn't the top of the range model so we don't have an outside temperature control.

There was a cold front sitting over the south of the country. I flew through it on the way into Heathrow this morning. North of t, and into East Angular, it was a beautiful day. Underneath it, it was shite.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2016, 10:22:48 pm »
In mid-Kent at about 4pm we had torrential hail and gales. Plus added thunder and lightning. Ghastly conditions in which to ride a bike, or, as I was doing at the time, going for a run.
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #10 on: 11 January, 2016, 08:16:22 am »

VW’s problem was when the car operated on an ECU tune to pass the test, it drove like a slug.
Therefore, they used signals from the car’s active suspension, accelerator movement and braking system to detect when the car was on a chassis dynamometer, rather than being driven down a road.
When the suspension is rock steady, accel’ and braking are gentle, it must be on the dyno, and a ‘test tune’ employed. When the suspension showed movement, accel’ and braking are typical, it must be on the road, and a ‘hotter tune’ employed.

Other car manufacturers get through the emissions test by including sub-maps in the EMS such as Throttle Transient Fuel Correction; and Throttle Transient Ignition Damping. This approach, apparently, is legal because when the car is driven on dyno or road, the EMS behaves the same.
A good Performance, Drivability and Economy test driver would be able to detect TTFC and TTID, but not necessarily VW’s approach which adding a blanket change.
A good Performance, Drivability and Economy test driver will be able to achieve the stated mpg for the vehicle, but a heavy footed oaf won’t.
That’s why there is so much complaining “It doesn’t get the economy figures”.

My Ford Fiesta 125ps ecoboost has figures of 65.7mpg overall. I get 67 overall with motorway driving half the mileage. Some owners get 35 mpg and moan to high heaven. Heavy footed oafs.

hillbilly

« Reply #11 on: 11 January, 2016, 11:48:55 am »
VW's problem is that they wouldn't be out of place on Mos Eisley, an hive of....   :)

But I should have guessed WB's car wouldn't be powered by the detritus of prehistoric marine life  :facepalm:

« Reply #12 on: 11 January, 2016, 12:05:12 pm »
But I should have guessed WB's car wouldn't be powered by the detritus of prehistoric marine life  :facepalm:
He has a whole thread of smug. I'm amazed it's news to anyone.

« Reply #13 on: 11 January, 2016, 12:07:26 pm »
VW's problem is that they wouldn't be out of place on Mos Eisley, an hive of....   :)

Mos Eisley is a Dingbat clue for "IS in Moseley".

Kim will understand.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #14 on: 11 January, 2016, 01:05:15 pm »

Mos Eisley is a Dingbat clue for "IS in Moseley".

Kim will understand.

Is that one of the places that Donald Trump says the West Midlands Trivial Crime Squad fear to tread?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #15 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:53:05 pm »
Nah. Moseley's a bit posh, a bit arty, a bit rough. Edgbaston Cricket Ground is just down the hill.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 11 January, 2016, 09:59:00 pm »
Nikki and turista OTP are our Moseley lentil-belt correspondents.  I monitor the zombie and wheelie-bin situation down the road in Silly Oak.  I'm not sure who's in charge of Cricket.  The Trivial Crime Squad were last seen assessing the pasties situation in Tescos.