Author Topic: Photos you've failed to take today.  (Read 5437 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Photos you've failed to take today.
« on: 05 April, 2015, 08:21:19 pm »
I was riding past a poultry farm earlier, which has a large statue of a cockerel by the entrance.  Perched upon its tail was a pigeon, preening and strutting and generally doing its best to imitate the cock's posture.  Naturally, it flew off before I had a chance to stop and dig out a camera.

So, what have you seen that would make an awesome photograph, only to be thwarted by timing, the lack of a camera or a particularly unfortunate camera malfunction?

Re: Photos you've failed to take today.
« Reply #1 on: 05 April, 2015, 08:39:22 pm »
Eagle.
Launching into laboured flight from a tree with a watery winter sun behind it, effectively making it a silhouette, with a very, very wide wing span.
We'd been holidaying there over the New Year, staying in Aber.
Snow fell. We were snowed in.
For 8 days.
After something like day 4, we ran out of milk (and everything else) so decided to walk / hitch to Brecon (a distance of 8 miles or so) to replenish supplies.
That in itself, was an adventure.
That's when the eagle was spotted.
I soooooo wish I'd had a camera.
It wasn't today - so prolly won't be a contender....

« Reply #2 on: 08 April, 2015, 01:24:33 pm »
Yesterday. Probably a series of photos in a storyboard stylee.

Frame 1:
Setting the scene; Nikki driving her car around Birmingham's outer ring road.

Frame 2:
Stopped at traffic lights.

Frame 3:
Zoom out to reveal a somehow Dutch-looking woman on a mountain bike. Full-looking panniers, chatting away on hands-free, phone attached to handlebars, top half: yellow hi-viz, bottom half: jeggings, bossing it with the traffic in the motor city.

Frame 4:
Nikki, puzzled, unsure which pigeonhole in which to file this type of cyclist. Brummie pavement cyclist? Pro commuter? Scandinavian just-goes-everywhere-by-bike?

Frame 5:
A few minutes later, Nikki filling car with petrol.

Frame 6:
Poly-cyclist appears on the forecourt.

Frame 7:
Bike propped up by door to shop bit, woman rummaging in panniers.

Frame 8:
Nikki finishes filling car with petrol and goes to pay.

Frame 9:
Nikki exiting shop, sees woman cycling off with mahoosive bottle of milk now wedged in one of the side pockets of the pannier.

Frame 10:
Nikki, enlightend. Ah! That kind of cyclist!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 13 April, 2015, 03:00:17 pm »
Unusually, I took a camera with me on yesterday's ride. Took a photo of my new sprockets before leaving, to goggle at how shiny they were (funny thing is, they still are) and one of Telford's bridge across the Severn at Over, then... flat battery. So I failed to take photos of:

The Cotswolds across the Severn Vale to the east.

The Black Mountains acrosss the Wye to the west.

The Malverns to the north.

Gloucester Cathedral from Alney Island.

A gypsy style caravan with two horses plodding towards Tewkesbury on the A438.

The wooden horse outside Tewkesbury.

Saul Junction.

etc etc
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
Driving up the autoroute from Mulhouse today, wonderful mix of light & shade on the mountains, with the castles of Haut Koenigsbourg and Kintzheim both in sunlight while the forest around them was mostly dark.  At 140 kph through a dirty window and across 3 lanes, forget it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2015, 05:52:51 pm »
A picture of my car; the back wheel of my car; with just a cat's tail visible.

(Too slow to get the phone camera working in time)
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Bender

• Bite my shiny metal a..
« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2015, 03:21:25 pm »
A kingfisher swooping low with what appeared to be a baby weasel on it's back..... ;)

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2015, 04:23:08 pm »
The Red Arrows over East London. I was surprised; they were fast.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #8 on: 02 March, 2016, 11:49:11 pm »
A picture of a neatly parked Audi A7. The letters on the registration spelt F.U.D.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:27:22 am »
There's a row of trees on a road I cycle along a lot.

I've had the idea of going there the last few night, to get a long exposure starlight photo of them......... but wimpled out because clear skies mean freezing temperatures at 10pm.

Here are the trees when it's nice and warm.

There's also a huge Solar Array appearing in the fields 2 miles away from me... I mean "Wow..that's fekkin big" huge...that should make for some amazing shots given the right light.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #10 on: 04 March, 2016, 09:07:22 am »
not today but I was on holiday last year in Yosemite. I timed a full day hike to end up coming down past Nevada and Vernal falls at dusk, and lugged a full size tripod, nice camera, ND filter and lots of spare batteries so I could play with some long exposure pics in lower light. 

8 hours of hiking, got to the perfect spot in OK light and not too many people about, then realised I forgot to bring the plate to attach the camera to the tripod.    Bugger.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2016, 10:14:10 pm »
Standing on the driveway, re-assembling the little motor vehicle again, I heard an "interesting" aircraft sound and stood up to watch. After a few seconds a Hawker Hurricane rumbles over the village, not much over a thousand feet up. Afterwards, I remembered that my camera was handy and only feet away, as I brought it out earlier to record the bod repairs progress.
Well, at least I got to appreciate the Merlin music without scrambling to find and zoom in on the image.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2016, 08:37:34 am »
There's more to life than what's in the viewfinder.

Speaking of which, yesterday I took the wee J1 with a 30-110 lens on it up through the forest.  At 110 mm it's close to a 300 mm equiv, and will focus down to a couple of metres for great close-ups and wonderful bokeh.  Trouble is that when you've only got an LCD full of bokeh to aim with it's bloody hard to find your target.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2016, 09:09:29 am »
Double rainbow at Draycote Water.   It was beautiful and the accompanying vista of green fields, trees and the reservoir made for something special.    :(