Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520790 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #125 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:49:49 pm »
I'm not entirely sure I am in quite the same condition as I was 3 weeks ago  :facepalm:

It does look like nice weather though.

Back to shorts and knee warmers and long sleeve summer jerseys which is more like September than December.  We will think of you often as we speed through the lanes of Suffolk singing Carols and spreading good will to all people.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #126 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:56:34 pm »
We are spending the weekend with my mother, I imagine we will be drinking sherry.

« Reply #127 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:57:18 pm »
Who are you and what have you done with Oscar's Dad ?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #128 on: 18 December, 2015, 03:58:39 pm »
 ;D

I suspect it will be getting worse before it gets better.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #129 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:01:06 pm »
That's the sort of bling scotch egg that I would expect a lover of cocktails to be eating.

It was probably a quail's egg in wild boar sausage meat with panko breadcrumbs.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #130 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:45:28 pm »
You can think on us hooning up to Norfolk or wherever we are going on Sunday and living on ginsters and milk shakes as you sit drinking espresso martinis and eating freshly peeled grapes .
Oi!
I can't do martinis but if peeled grapes are your thing...

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #131 on: 18 December, 2015, 05:58:18 pm »
I've entered over-planning mode for Sunday...  :facepalm: separate GPX's for the 4 legs to avoid Garmin trying to tell me there is 200miles remaining (Colchester 100 experience there!)

Average speed for Essex Peloton anyone? 12 - 13 subject to headwind or will I be pushing the heady heights of 15 ?  Some of them lanes look awfully exposed from Halesworth onwards.... but on the bright side, weather improving all the time (just wish the wind would too!)  so I may be less 'Beau Brummell' than our usual nocturnal jaunts...

Suppose I will have to recalibrate my head in to KM for the next few days LOL
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #132 on: 21 December, 2015, 07:06:50 am »
The Essex peloton enjoyed a good ride on the Santa Special yesterday.

Danbury Dogger, his mate Steve, Bobb, the Hustler, Tippers Kiwi, Beau Brummell,  Sister Carol and I set off from Great Bromley with a nice tailwind at our backs on an unseasonably warm day.

The first control at Wickham Market arrived quickly as did the second in Halesworth.  Then we turned into the wind.

It is only 30km or so from Halesworth to Diss but with a deceptive upward gradient and and the wind, it felt much further.  The peloton soon splintered as the quicker riders and those with early season form surged ahead.

Fortunately, the control at Palgrave was an oasis of audax hospitality with Lindsey and Chris turning out a splendid spread. The soup was proper homemade loveliness and there was a great selection of savoury snacks to follow.  I think we probably just missed the promised peeled grapes :P

The next section to Sudbury covered that flat section of Norfolk into Suffolk that so many local rides cover.  It's great with the wind and a slog against it.  By this time the Danbury Dogger and mate had left us behind and we had dropped his brother who was uncharacteristically slow after a sleepless night. Our own Beau Brummell, who had made no effort with his appearance to the extent that he had not even accessorised, was often to be found at the front setting a strong pace.  Later we discovered that he had developed a bit of audax belly and was mainly jet propelled by his own gas, always pleasant for those behind.

Inevitably, we all controlled at McDonald's in Sudbury.  Some people (I am looking at you Bobb and Andy) start with great intentions of just having a healthy snack at the garage but 160 km in on a windy day it has to be a dirty Mac.  As we sat there savouring the unique dining experience, the heavens opened. By the time Tippers had finished his selection of menu items it was dry, good timing  :thumbsup:

The final leg was a proper Essex peloton ride.  The group stayed together and added anyone that wanted to join.  It was nice to see Jack who had joined us at Sleaford on the Flatlands.  Arrivee was reached in no time. 

Having refuelled with the splendid selection of food ( there was even a menu !), Tippers and I set off into the night for the ride home.  I am surprised that our bikes stayed upright we were going so slowly at any slightly upward gradients.

All in all a great day's riding and it was good to have the peloton out again, even with a few notable absentees.

Congratulations to Beau on becoming a randonneur and thank you to the controllers for looking after us so well.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #133 on: 21 December, 2015, 07:24:21 am »
 :thumbsup:

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #134 on: 21 December, 2015, 09:43:54 am »
Well done chaps  :thumbsup:

I managed a mere 100km perm: by chance meeting JJ otp [Mr Juckes the randonneur not mini-Huggy] in his home village of Haslingfield. More than one rider in shorts was spotted; I was quite warm in 3/4, track mitts and l/s jersey.

« Reply #135 on: 21 December, 2015, 01:50:12 pm »
It was nice to see Jack who had joined us at Sleaford on the Flatlands.

Thanks Ted. The Essex massive always improves my mood! It was a great end to the ride.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #136 on: 21 December, 2015, 05:45:13 pm »
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #137 on: 22 December, 2015, 04:25:38 pm »
A cracking ride it was indeed.

For me it was the end of a long week on the bike. With close to 450 miles in the legs since the previous Saturday, a busy week of work and the outlaws in town it was always going to mean I would struggle. My little off the day before didn't exactly help either but it was more of an issue off the bike.

The group often pulled away from me but I kept at my measured effort pace happily, having done 2 solo DIY's recently it was not a huge issue. I was never alone for long though, various stops meant we always got back together. I begged for mercy on the last leg from Sudbury from Jiberjaber who was on a mission and my plea was noted and approved, until Ted decided someone was on his tail! ;D

Thanks to all for your bits of help on the day. JiberJaber for the tube (Tubeless......grrrrrrr :demon:), Ted for Towing me back to Peldon and everyone else for the company.

That ride got me to 54 miles off my 10k target which should hopefully mean it is all but in the bag. What a Cracking year.

Merry Christmas to you all!

« Reply #138 on: 22 December, 2015, 04:44:25 pm »
Tippers, well done on the mileage. 

I am still trying to repay all the tows that I had on the first couple of qualifiers earlier in the year.  It's not often I get the opportunity to tow someone as quick as you though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #139 on: 22 December, 2015, 04:58:15 pm »
Yes Nik, 10k miles is a great achievement - well done!   :thumbsup:

I think all in all us MEMWNS crew have had a superb 2015.  Lots of banter, plenty of miles, much beer, some epic rides with the PBP obviously the most epic; plus some stellar achievements not least the fact that everyone of us who started the PBP actually finished it!  Above all we've had some great fun, which to my mind is the most important element of what we do together.

Let's hope 2016 is even more fun - I'm sure it will be as we go from strength to strength.  Don't forget the year gets officially kicked off on January 9th with the Epiphany Do organised by Mr Mile Muncher himself so move heaven and earth to be there.

Merry Christmas and a peaceful New Year from me, everyone here at OD Towers and not forgetting me bikes  :-*

« Reply #140 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:58:40 pm »
Anyone interested in a 200 during January?

I've got to get my RrTY ride sorted and thinking I might do the same DIY route as last month but would be up for riding with others. Reasonably flexible on timings but either 16/17th or 23/24th would be preference.

Tomsk, do you need any route checks done for the Horsepower or Boudicca's as previously mentioned?

Nik

Oscar's dad

« Reply #141 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:31:14 pm »
Anyone interested in a 200 during January?

I've got to get my RrTY ride sorted and thinking I might do the same DIY route as last month but would be up for riding with others. Reasonably flexible on timings but either 16/17th or 23/24th would be preference.

Tomsk, do you need any route checks done for the Horsepower or Boudicca's as previously mentioned?

Nik

If you were talking about the 16th or 17th I might be interested.  I might do the whole distance though and I might be too slow for you at the moment.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #142 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:34:26 pm »
I might do the whole distance though .

Is that because you're in Audax retirement and don't wish to come out of it  ::-)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #143 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:44:47 pm »
I might do the whole distance though .

Is that because you're in Audax retirement and don't wish to come out of it  ::-)

It's cos I am massively unfit - at the moment.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #144 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:45:40 pm »
It's cos I am massively unfit - at the moment.

Too much Untapped and not enough pedalling  :facepalm:

« Reply #145 on: 04 January, 2016, 01:50:46 pm »

If you were talking about the 16th or 17th I might be interested.  I might do the whole distance though and I might be too slow for you at the moment.

No rush for me, it's my struggling time of the year so happy to take it easy (and you can laugh at me fighting with sprays of sealant and tell me about good tyres!

Let me know if it works, I can wangle the route a little bit so it goes straight through Witham as well if you want to sign up for the DIY?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #146 on: 04 January, 2016, 05:43:07 pm »
23rd is the only day I can manage out of those two weekends. I was thinking of a 'Dick Turpin', but also have a plan for a DIY 200 based on the first 260km of my new 400. It returns from Colchester via Tiptree so might suit...?

« Reply #147 on: 04 January, 2016, 06:47:40 pm »
I am tempted if it is "easy" paced as I would be riding the furthest I have done on fixed.

« Reply #148 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:30:43 pm »
I am tempted if it is "easy" paced as I would be riding the furthest I have done on fixed.
I reckon that should be fine. My schedule has changed a bit so it looks like it might be the 23rd/24th only available now so the DTDO is looking likely.

While I am on the Audax bandwagon, my plans for the K&SW and the Mr Pickwicks calendar events have been dashed already. I am still quite keen to ride the Mr Pickwicks Goes in Search of Dragons and there is a Perm available. Anyone fancy joining in the fun that only a 'scenic' Audax through Wales could provide? (600km with 9.5 AAA) I would probably aim for July.

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/MR13/

« Reply #149 on: 06 January, 2016, 03:39:59 pm »
Tippers.  You know fine well that the only time I agree to anything like that is either a. in the pub or b. in a sleep deprived state after doing something stupid (I haven't done anything like as stupid as 9.5AAA).

I assume the rest of the peloton have more sense than to go off chasing dragons through Wales with you.  Although DL would make a good hobbit if that's any help  :thumbsup:  Why don't you ask young Frodo tonight when he's in his cups ?