Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517813 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #250 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:30:59 pm »
Some of our number made it over to Dunmow on Saturday for Tomsk's winter perm extravaganza.  Bobb, Tomsk, Tippers, the Hustler, Jiber and I were there from MEMWNS and we had a few other regulars from the Essex peloton like Alotronic, Raymond, Wilky Boy, Fboab and ChrisS.  There were others there that Tomsk will know but I don't know their forum names.

First winter perm for me and first ride around the Dick Turpin's Day Out route.  As has often been said before, it is a good winter route with plenty of warm fires and Essex Energy Drinks available at regular intervals as needed. We had the weather with us (not that this stopped some of our number from fuelling up anyway).  It also gave our amateur historians, Bobb and the Hustler, the opportunity to show off what they had learned about Dick Turpin from the Horrible Histories song "Angry Highwayman".  I should point out a serious discrepancy in the route sheet, Tomsk has Dick being born in 1707 whereas the sign outside his birthplace has him born in 1705.  Actually, thinking about it, it is more likely that they are wrong  :thumbsup:

With over a dozen riders waiting at the start, it felt more like one of Tomsk's x-rated events than a January perm.  When you arrive at a ride and the rest of the field seems to be kitted out with PBP gilets and worn carradices, you know that it won't be a gentle meander through the lanes, and so it proved.  The pace at the front was fairly relentless from the off with the ever exuberant Jiber often leading the charge.  I selflessly opted to shepherd everyone along from the back of the field  O:-)  Despite the pace, we all arrived pretty much as one at the first few controls.  We did string out a bit more on the way to Debenham but were all there within a few minutes of each other.  The group split there with one section opting to try the (closed) chippy, while the remainder of us went for the platinum option of standing outside the Co-op in the car park eating cold food.

Not long after that I had my first in-event visitation in a long time.  Luckily my wingman was on hand with patience, tools and assistance (I had managed to lose my tyre levers somewhere round the ride which is sod's law).  This meant that we suddenly had the luxury of going at our own pace (well, strictly speaking, mine) rather than trying to keep up with audax royalty.

By the time we eventually wheeled into the mecca of East Anglia's audax scene that is the Sudbury McDonalds, everyone else was ready to leave.  At this point, in an act of solidarity, Bobb opted to have another coffee and ride with us back to Arrivee. 

There always seems to be a point on rides when you wonder what the hell you are doing and think this may be your last long ride.  On this ride that seemed to go from about Saffron Walden to Sudbury for me.  From Sudbury on it was fun again though.  It was particularly amusing watching Bobb and the Hustler trying subtly to moderate their speed so they didn't spit me out the back.

Hopefully Huggy will be back with us on some rides soon and we are all looking forward to the junior Dogger's arrival so that DL can make his long-awaited debut.

Tippers, meanwhile, is trying to lure Jiber and I into his RRTY nonsense by tempting us with an ECE to the Brazier in February...

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #251 on: 25 January, 2016, 02:58:00 pm »
There always seems to be a point on rides when you wonder what the hell you are doing and think this may be your last long ride.  On this ride that seemed to go from about Saffron Walden to Sudbury for me....................

Glad its not just me then!  Mine stretched from about 15km out of Sudbury to the Great Dunmow sign!  I could hardly walk in my boots as I entered the pub! 

Note to self, fast pace is useless if you then sit around awaiting the group to depart, must go slower from the off next time!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #252 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:38:57 pm »
As advance planning is postitively encouraged on this thread and as it is the home of mid-Essex audax endeavours, here goes with some advanced audax planning.

Bobb has earmarked the Shark on April the 9th as a good pre-BCM jaunt.  He did the 300 version of the same ride after PBP and described it as having a lot of climbing as it criss-crosses the Downs. 

As Tippers has assured us in Brian Taylor style that the BCM is merely undulating, this should be a good warm up.

Talking of BCM, has anyone made any travel plans whatsoever ?  Huggy has offered the team van but we will need at least one other vehicle (I assume Tomsk will just ride down from Dunmow  :thumbsup:).  I am not sleeping in a van, not even with Huggy, so will need to look at accom as well.

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #253 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:40:38 pm »
Talking of BCM, has anyone made any travel plans whatsoever ?  Huggy has offered the team van but we will need at least one other vehicle (I assume Tomsk will just ride down from Dunmow  :thumbsup:).  I am not sleeping in a van, not even with Huggy, so will need to look at accom as well.

Bus shelter, your caravan or possibly the horsebox as a last resort  ???

The Retiree

« Reply #254 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:43:38 pm »

Bus shelter, your caravan or possibly the horsebox as a last resort  ???

What about Bear Grylls OD style open air bivouacing.......  ::-)

« Reply #255 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:45:53 pm »
I haven't got an orange poo trowel which is, according to OD, an essential item for open air "activities".

Tippers says there is a good kip opportunity at Kings on the way round.  What I want is a good night's sleep on the Friday and then a good night's sleep on the Sunday but this time after several beers and a curry.

The Retiree

« Reply #256 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:47:30 pm »
I haven't got an orange poo trowel which is, according to OD, an essential item for open air "activities".

Tippers says there is a good kip opportunity at Kings on the way round.  What I want is a good night's sleep on the Friday and then a good night's sleep on the Sunday but this time after several beers and a curry.

If you ask OD nicely I'm sure he will loan out Penelope to you for the weekend and she has the capability of carrying a marquee in that front tray  :thumbsup:

« Reply #257 on: 25 January, 2016, 03:58:10 pm »
Talking of BCM, has anyone made any travel plans whatsoever ?

Not yet - but I guess we need to!

I'll probably drive. What sort of accomodation were you thinking of?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #258 on: 25 January, 2016, 04:36:51 pm »
Tippers mentioned a good B&B above a pub with a nearby curry house.  There is also a Premier Inn or similar reasonably close by.

« Reply #259 on: 25 January, 2016, 04:40:16 pm »
Maybe we should block book the B&B then?!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #260 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:27:54 pm »
.....the Shark on April the 9th as a good pre-BCM jaunt. ......

What is this Shark and BCM that is been uttered about??  ??? :facepalm:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #261 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:47:02 pm »
Tempted?

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #262 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:49:11 pm »
It's a bit long, presently still battling with 200km range at the moment...  I've not looked at the Shark, is that 300km?

**EDIT**
Ah I see its a 200km, so might be a potential... its a bit close to Easter Trail / Arrow though...
http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-291/
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #263 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:50:01 pm »
Only 200. 

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #264 on: 25 January, 2016, 05:54:53 pm »
Ive put it in the diary, it clashes with the Tamworth events I was thinking about doing, but Greenwich may be closer!
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #265 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:18:00 pm »
Interested in 'The Shark' on 9th April, but I see 'Yr Elenydd 300', on the same day has a camping field at the start for use before/after. Perhaps a pre-BCM taster of Welsh hills?

I've done the old Kidderminster start version three times before: it was a cracking route and the Upton Magna start [nr Shrewsbury] looks to provide some English hills at the beginning and end too...

Btw you are correct ted - 1705 is Dick Turpin's presumed birth year [only his baptism is recorded]. Must amend the route sheet information.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #266 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:24:58 pm »
I think I've done some of that Shark last year on Sam's Wen-Wen ride. I suspect I might need to deploy the Rose for sustained climbing and distance duties...
https://www.strava.com/activities/354002243/overview

Nik was on about ECE to the Victoria C. C. - Brazier's Run 100km but the Horsepower 200 is the weekend after (27 Feb) as an option....
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #267 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:28:02 pm »
Oh dear jibers, I see you're being dragged in  ::-)   ;D

« Reply #268 on: 25 January, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »
Horsepower is 12th March is it not ?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #269 on: 25 January, 2016, 07:04:38 pm »
Horsepower 100/200 is 12th March, but my helpers' ride is a fortnight before on 27th Feb [so I can do Wilkyboy's helpers' ride for his 'Pork Pie' 200 on 5th March].

Non-helpers might like to do a 'Horses for Courses' 200 permanent on that day, like some did last year.

« Reply #270 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:49:27 pm »
DL

You mentioning Tomsk on the sacred thread has made me realise that we may have been taking up some bandwidth with nonsense about OD.

This may be a better thread for exploring just how let down we feel about OD abandoning us.

Yours

Betrayed of Mersea

The Retiree

« Reply #271 on: 27 January, 2016, 12:50:31 pm »
DL

You mentioning Tomsk on the sacred thread has made me realise that we may have been taking up some bandwidth with nonsense about OD.

This may be a better thread for exploring just how let down we feel about OD abandoning us.

Yours

Betrayed of Mersea

Here here motion seconded

Yours

Betrayed of Witham

« Reply #272 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:05:58 pm »
Howdy Folks...

Not likely I am going to be able to get to another far away ride before the BCM, I promised not going crazy this year and although I had plans they have already gone up in smoke.

As far as the BCM is concerned I think I am going to do the Travelodge (Severn View) on the Friday and the Pub on the Sunday. The Pub rooms are right above the Garden and I am not sure how much sleep will be possible on the Friday night. Also, the ride over the Severn Bridge is good fun and you can always pop over to Chepstow for the evening, it's only about a 15-20 minute ride.

I am going to be taking the Volvo out so I have room for several folk. If Huggy takes the Team Bus then I can take up to 7 (2 will be in only reasonable comfort) otherwise I have facilities to carry 5 bikes on the roof and that should work with bodies and luggage as well.

« Reply #273 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:18:30 pm »
So you should be ok for the Shark as it is local  :thumbsup:

If you are coming out tonight you can let us know which pub, if not then which pub ?

I don't mind driving down.  Who knows what I will be driving by then but it will probably have some room.

Maybe this spinning lark could be the way forward for BCM, albeit not at the expense of Wednesday nights like Judas's Dad.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #274 on: 27 January, 2016, 02:05:57 pm »
After popping in briefing to huggy Towers the trip to the tip went very well although I did have to wait in the drizzle whilst some bins were compacted and others changed.   5 miles!  All recorded on Strava - naturally.  I love utility cycling  ;D