Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 522033 times)

Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #500 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:22:05 pm »
 :thumbsup:

It was a proper mechanical that! I still think the chain managed to squeeze itself through the derailleur cage in some fashion as it was definitely not running around that top jockey wheel after it screwed up.

I think you made the right choice not carrying on, had you shifted 1 stop to far you would probably have been looking at a new wheel (or several spokes at least) and not just the derailleur. And with the wind there were times on the flat where it was nearly required to use the full range available.

Obviously I don't need to point out that had you been on your fixie none of this would have happened :-D but I think the first leg of the Braziers is the first time that I have seen Tom actually looking like he is having to put some effort in (it was from a distance though so I might just have been seeing things)

Good move on the Durano's, I have to say they really aren't as bad as I had told myself they were from previous experience. It was pretty good going and being 95% certain that punctures were not going to be an issue made up for any potential loss of speed.

« Reply #501 on: 22 February, 2016, 02:41:22 pm »
You've done a great job in putting us all off tubeless which had been my original plan A.

Glad you got round yesterday despite my best efforts to derail the 24th month of your RRTY quest.

When I got back to Tiptree and had another look, the chain was only going over one of the jockey wheels.  No wonder it was clicking all the way back  :o  Definitely the right decision.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #502 on: 22 February, 2016, 04:10:47 pm »
I suffered from the missing 5% with my front D+ puncturing twice (first one 1km from the start of the main event  :facepalm: ) and a knackered spare inner tube which turned the first repair in to a good 30+ mins, the second visitation (same wheel) was a bit quicker at 20mins but I can see the attraction of tubeless in you don't have to spend ages worrying and trying to find the cause of the visitation etc....

I still haven't found the cause of the second visitation, but when I get round to cleaning the bike I will take a good look just in case its lurking in there ready to pounce once again!

These SON Plus wheels are almost like run flats, I hadn't noticed for a few moments or two it was flat - must have been tired!

On the plus side I received my carbon forks for the CdF today, they had been on order since September, could have built them myself in that time! LOL
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #503 on: 22 February, 2016, 07:58:38 pm »
...but I think the first leg of the Braziers is the first time that I have seen Tom actually looking like he is having to put some effort in (it was from a distance though so I might just have been seeing things)

I was seriously in danger of overcooking it trying to tow David J [Glendene], Orange Andy and the rest of a sizeable peloton back into the wind. When I stopped to take a phone-call [since Mrs Tomsk's 'episode' last October I always stop when it rings...this time it was just work-related  ::-) ] I was quite glad of the excuse to ease off and ride at my own pace back to the 'Ut. It was a tough day, though what it would have been like out in the Fens...I lost my route sheet to a gust, maybe my routesheet holder needs new Velcro, but I rose to Kieron's challenge of riding the second half without referring to the spare copy he gave me, though I did have tippers and his gps to confirm I was on the right track.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #504 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:03:36 pm »
So my new forks need fettling to install them, I was wondering if anyone has any of the following I can borrow:

• a lower crown race removal tool;
  • a steerer cutting jig, or;
  • a threadless nut setter.

I've got a couple of options, I could try and pry off the race with my disc pad tool or similar chisel type thing, carefully mask up the steerer to cut it, make a nut setter out of some dowel etc but the job is always easier with the right tools....
Regards,

Joergen

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #505 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:19:44 pm »
Bash the old race out with a long screwdriver and a big hammer, cut the steerer tube with a hacksaw in a cheap mitre box, knock the bearing race on with a bit of vacuum cleaner tube. Jobs a good 'un.

But don't blame me if it all goes wrong😄

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #506 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:23:50 pm »
That's plan 'a' Sister Carlos... 

I'm presently investigating a new crown race by itself so I can swap back to the steel fork if required etc... I'm comparing races based on lower bearings with a view that if its a similar ID/OD on the bearing and the same chamfer then barring the bottom cup depth, the race should be the same.... 

Think I've a mitre box somewhere...  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #507 on: 22 February, 2016, 10:45:02 pm »
Moving off the technical thread for a minute...

The Hustler and I are hoping to ghost behind the Horsepower helpers'  ride on Saturday on a horses for courses.   Anyone else for a more amateur approach than Tomsk and his merry band of superstars ?

Please note that the fact we are contemplating an emergency 200 so late in the month is purely  coincidental as neither of us are considering RRTY.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #508 on: 23 February, 2016, 06:14:36 am »
jibers, whilst building Fred I was worried about cutting down his steerer tube, I'm not good at cutting accurately, if anyone ever needs a circumcision I wouldn't ask me. Anyhow, someone here suggested using an old stem as a saw guide, worked a treat. I have a stem you can borrow, I could send it to you via one of tomorrow's Witham riders.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #509 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:43:14 am »
Recently launched ...

Beer flavoured crisps, what a ridiculous idea.  NB - Fairfields grow their potatoes and make their crisp on the farm near Wormingford.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #510 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:48:54 am »
A good tip OD. I don't think you need to be super accurate as regards squareness when you cut the steerer, just cosmetically acceptable. Assemble it first to ensure you mark the correct length though! If it's a carbon steerer don't use the old star fangled washer you'll need the expanding gripper type of fixing.

I can't believe I'm posting workshop tips, my bikes always have issues!

« Reply #511 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:42:14 am »
I suffered from the missing 5% with my front D+ puncturing twice (first one 1km from the start of the main event  :facepalm: ) and a knackered spare inner tube which turned the first repair in to a good 30+ mins, the second visitation (same wheel) was a bit quicker at 20mins but I can see the attraction of tubeless in you don't have to spend ages worrying and trying to find the cause of the visitation etc....
Unless it is just a massive gash and then you start dealing with the whole sealant ejaculation and the following clean up and putting a tube in amongst it....not that I am trying to put you off.....I will go back there myself at some point!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #512 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:49:52 am »
In the meantime we now have beer flavoured crisps. The world isn't a bad place you know.

« Reply #513 on: 23 February, 2016, 11:51:24 am »
 :thumbsup: Exactly! Slightly wrong but great all the same.

Can you drink beer and eat beer crisps? Does that count as Double Parking?

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #514 on: 23 February, 2016, 12:36:48 pm »
How about Cheese and Onion beer?
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #515 on: 23 February, 2016, 12:40:58 pm »
 I can't think about beer until I've forgotton about tippers struggling with a massive gash and a messy ejaculation!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #516 on: 23 February, 2016, 12:56:52 pm »
How about Cheese and Onion beer?

You're just being silly now aren't you?

I can't think about beer until I've forgotton about tippers struggling with a massive gash and a messy ejaculation!

Yes a good point.  I'd recommend eating several packets of beer crisps in the hope your mind is erased of unwelcome imagery. 

« Reply #517 on: 23 February, 2016, 01:29:15 pm »
  • a lower crown race removal tool;
  • a steerer cutting jig, or;
  • a threadless nut setter.

I have a crown race removal tool you can borrow.

You don't need any sort of cutting jig, I always do it by eye. Use a spacer/stem etc, draw round it with pencil, then cut on the outside of the mark with a hacksaw. If you haven't cut it perfectly straight, use a file to tidy up (or do nothing - it really doesn't need to be perfectly square). I've done this with Aluminium and Carbon steerers.

I don't have a threadless nut setter unfortunately - never fitted a headset that needed one.
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #518 on: 23 February, 2016, 03:30:41 pm »
I'll take you up on that offer Rob.  :thumbsup:

Ace - so steerer cutter and crown race removal sorted, I'll buy a nut setter (if only for the name sake) and jobs a good 'un! :)

Just need 2 inches of spacers now! LOL
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #519 on: 23 February, 2016, 05:29:57 pm »
OD's Essex Good Beer Guide (2013 edition) Pub Quest - Update
I have now ridden my bike to 61 of the 110 listed Essex GBG pubs.  Nine were visited in 2015.

Just thought you might like to know.  Cheers!

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #520 on: 23 February, 2016, 07:28:49 pm »
Moving off the technical thread for a minute...

The Hustler and I are hoping to ghost behind the Horsepower helpers'  ride on Saturday on a horses for courses.   Anyone else for a more amateur approach than Tomsk and his merry band of superstars ?

Please note that the fact we are contemplating an emergency 200 so late in the month is purely  coincidental as neither of us are considering RRTY.

Raymond has decided to ride H4C this Saturday too...

« Reply #521 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:27:51 pm »
Excellent.

« Reply #522 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:39:01 pm »
Anyone else for a more amateur approach than Tomsk and his merry band of superstars ?

You *might* be able to pursuade me...

What time would kick off be?
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #523 on: 23 February, 2016, 08:49:32 pm »
I guess at the same time as Tomsk and the Hotrods ie 7.30. You know you want to.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #524 on: 24 February, 2016, 06:52:39 am »
I'm setting off at 06:00 on Saturday, as I need to back in reasonable time to be out again in the evening. Brian will probably start with me [overnighting in Mobile Hotel], Wilkyboy will play it by ear as he's ece-ing. Raymond will either drive here or hook up with us in Sudbury for a later finish. It's all a bit fragmented...choose very, or not quite so silly o'clock start.