Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517565 times)

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #550 on: 02 March, 2016, 09:15:14 am »
Copy of event on the Witham Cycling Facebook page:

As a club we have secured a 2 hour Track Taster Session at the Lee Valley Velodrome on the evening of Wednesday 4th May between 18:00 and 20:00. If you would like to experience a taste of the track this is your opportunity. More details available at the link.
https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/content/cms/london2012/velo-park/#track
The Velodrome charges have increased a little since our last visit in January; depending upon numbers cost of the evening will be between £27 and £35 for the 2 hour track session, this figure includes £12 for bike hire but shoe hire is an additional £7 if desired. I will initially close the book at 15 confirmed places and put additional interest on a wait list until I get more than 20 to make hiring a second instructor economical. A second instructor will allow a further 15 places and the closer we get to a total of 30 participants the more economical it becomes.
Before the event you will need to have valid CTC or BC 3rd party insurance by way of membership of one of those organisations and be a signed up member of Witham Cycling which can be completed on the day if necessary. As a club we are affiliated with CTC and members of Witham Cycling can take up discounted individual associate membership here https://www.ctc.org.uk/join-membership/setup/AFMI using our club number 90063203 which provides 12 months of 3rd party insurance.

You will be responsible for getting yourself to the VeloPark. I will probably be travelling by train to Stratford and walking from there. At least 30 minutes needs to be allowed for walking from Stratford train station to the Velodrome. You should plan to arrive soon after 17:00 to allow for checking in, changing and getting set up on a bike.

To secure your place please send your £25 per person deposit to me. An easy way of doing this is to use PayPal at this link:
https://www.paypal.me/GrantHuggins/25
I will also take traditional cash in person, please PM to let me know you are interested.

In January we had 27 people enjoy the same experience, many of whom I expect will want to repeat it. For a little taste of the evening you can see a video here: https://youtu.be/zL79IrmblTg
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #551 on: 03 March, 2016, 07:34:14 am »
A wet and wild Wednesday evening saw a reduced peloton head to the Odd One Out in Colchester.  OD, Huggy and the BFC were joined by newcomer Tokyo Sexpest in the main Spa group.  They arrived at the Oddie in good time where they met up with David Gandy fresh from an assignment for Rapha Urban.

Meanwhile I was stuck at the side of the road having had a visitation and then losing one of my locking nuts in the long grass  :facepalm:

When I eventually made it, the others had placed themselves round the roaring fire and were well into their sampling.  We had Mauldon's Silver Adder, Soham's Albert Ale and mighty oak's Saxon.  The latter, even at over 6%, proved to be extremely smooth and easily took the Quaffers' Choice. 

Tokyo Sexpest seemed to fit in well.  In fact, it felt like he had been around for ages.

With the portentous weather outside, the talk was of serious matters.  OD presented his latest master plan; a circus skills evening.  Details remain sketchy but so far it seems to involve assembling in a forest clearing to watch David Gandy ride a unicycle while a demented OD dances around playing the penny whistle.  Next week we will probably be adding a wicker man and a fire.

With neither of the legends present the night soon descended into the expected farce.  I had barely arrived when Huggy "King of the Faffers" started the long preparation for departure.  It turned out the last train was at 10.44 and that the whole Spa peloton was taking that cop out. 

I have to admit though that when I set off into the sleet storm after a quick final tincture with DG it did cross my mind that maybe living near a station wouldn't be too bad sometimes.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #552 on: 03 March, 2016, 08:20:26 am »
Nice write up as always ted, I'll just fill in a few gaps ...

The circus skills evening is a serious suggestion.  'Ole fandango has told me before about his juggling prowess and last night he added more detail.  Whilst at uni he and his mate were juggling buskers with fire and everything  :o  And before you ask "What's the worst that can happen?" let me answer with "Quite a lot!"  He and said mate set the curtains on fire in a Student Union when their act went a bit wrong.  And there's more!  Tokyo Sexwhale can do fire eating and Beer Fueled Commuter can ride a unicycle - see what I mean?  It has the makings of an epic evening!

Now before you get too excited I might let the side down with my lack of musical ability (no surprises - remember the Epiphany Do?).  I can play the penny whistle but only a bit.  I can just about get through "In an English Country Garden" and know some of "The Mull of Kintyre"  Anyhow, lets move on and talk about photography ...

ted's problems stem from his shit phone.  You'll no doubt of seen his customary group shot / selfie on FB.  Here's my version taken on a decent phone with ted trying to follow my lead ...

Yesterday evening I was Keeper of the Hello Kitty Kitty so Beer Bitch by default.  I stupidly left my phone on the table unlocked.  Here's Tokyo Sexwhale being a narwhal ...

And trying to impersonate my photo face (keep trying, you've a way to go yet) ...

Which is nearly as good as this classic taken a few years back (that's my head gear he's wearing) ...

Despite being cold and wet yesterday evening was a good one, thanks chaps  :-*

(I'm now off to find out how much Rapha cycling jeans and fetching checked shirts are)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #553 on: 03 March, 2016, 09:57:13 am »
Memo to self: time to re-shave head and tidy up beard.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #554 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:00:20 am »

And that's all you took from last night's antics? 

I may have asked this already, you did leave the fire prodder thing behind didn't you?

« Reply #555 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:03:08 am »
He was walking a bit oddly when he left  :o

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #556 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:11:27 am »

And that's all you took from last night's antics? 

Well, I do remember I promised to show you the usefulness of the FOaaS site.

http://www.foaas.com/field/Oaky/OD/Book%20Of%20MEMWNS%20Chapter%209%20Verse%2013

The full RESTful API is documented here.

I may have asked this already, you did leave the fire prodder thing behind didn't you?

Yes, you have, and yes I did :)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #557 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:16:28 am »
^^^ That's funny  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #558 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:19:56 am »
Tokyo Sexwhale can do fire eating

fire-breathing

Now before you get too excited I might let the side down with my lack of musical ability (no surprises - remember the Epiphany Do?).  I can play the penny whistle but only a bit.  I can just about get through "In an English Country Garden" and know some of "The Mull of Kintyre"

Hmm... I can do Amazing Grace and Auld Lang Syne.  Perhaps we could form the worlds worst faux-Scottish pub folk duo?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #559 on: 03 March, 2016, 10:31:56 am »
Is fire breathing an actual thing?  It doesn't sound like a good idea.

Erm, in the cold, sober light of day and based on recent experience, I'm not sure the furthering of my musical career should be encouraged  ;D

« Reply #560 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:07:37 pm »
Folks, not sure how many of you use energy gels/bars but a mate of mine who I played rugby with in Hong Kong has recently released a natural alternative to these in the UK. It's basically a solid lump of Guava Paste wrapped in a banana leaf known as a bocadillo.

Good source of carbs and loads of other vitamins and good stuff in the paste and apparently quite good to eat as well.

I've ordered  a box of 12 and I'd be happy to share them around. If it's decided they are a good thing I'll spread the word a bit elsewhere on the forum. I should have them on me by Saturday so let me know if you want to try one out.

https://www.luchodillitos.co.uk/

Oscar's dad

« Reply #561 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:11:21 pm »
My Dog are you sure?  Such things normally make me fart like a carthorse!

« Reply #562 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:24:48 pm »
Keep them well away from Jiber then.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #563 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »
I'll give them a go Nik, it will help motivate Ted to spin a bit faster (assuming he doesn't break yet another bike)!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #564 on: 07 March, 2016, 04:28:04 pm »
Keep them well away from Jiber then.

Or more precisely jibers and naked flames!  The thought of his melted Gore shorts welded to his backside doesn't bear thinking about.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #565 on: 07 March, 2016, 05:11:14 pm »
Colombian go-faster concoctions, served in a dried leaf?!   Should I worry about failing anti-doping tests? (Especially now that I have a racing license ;))

« Reply #566 on: 07 March, 2016, 07:26:38 pm »
It's all natural, what could possibly go wrong

Oscar's dad

« Reply #567 on: 08 March, 2016, 08:36:05 am »
Folks, not sure how many of you use energy gels/bars but a mate of mine who I played rugby with in Hong Kong has recently released a natural alternative to these in the UK. It's basically a solid lump of Guava Paste wrapped in a banana leaf known as a bocadillo.

Good source of carbs and loads of other vitamins and good stuff in the paste and apparently quite good to eat as well.

I've ordered  a box of 12 and I'd be happy to share them around. If it's decided they are a good thing I'll spread the word a bit elsewhere on the forum. I should have them on me by Saturday so let me know if you want to try one out.

https://www.luchodillitos.co.uk/

All jokes aside, I'll have a nibble on one if you have a sample about your person when we next meet.  I'm always keen to try new ideas.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #568 on: 08 March, 2016, 05:50:29 pm »
Well this IS exciting  :thumbsup:  Isn't the interweb a wonderful thing?!?  You know the beetles on stalks in the pond near Great Leighs?  The ones I make you all cycle past on our way to and from The Compasses?  Even when Oaky wants to go the other, LONGER way?  Even when it's too dark to actually see them?

I've found out about them!!!  Clicky HERE!

The artist, Nicola Burrell, seems to be very prolific on the public art front in Essex.  She's built a nine-foot tall grasshopper in Colchester's High Woods Country Park, installed some stars in Colchester Castle Park to commemorate the anniversary of Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star, plus did a concrete mill sculpture for Harlow canal and she has also sculpted giant steel flowers for a green area in Redbridge, near London.  When the Tour came to Essex in 2014 she did THIS at Gt Dunmow.  Tomsk do you know her?

I'm trying to track down some contact details for her as I'd love to know more about the beetles; like why are they there and who commissioned them?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #569 on: 08 March, 2016, 06:13:56 pm »
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #570 on: 08 March, 2016, 06:44:52 pm »
Cool, thanks jibers!

I'm not sure if the beetles are part of an effective public arts strategy based on the fact that the only buggers that see them are us and a few horseriders and dog walkers  ;D

But, perhaps its just too clever for me.  Hopefully Tomsk will be along in a moment to explain it all.

« Reply #571 on: 10 March, 2016, 07:45:17 am »
Last night we headed off to Tiptree to visit Teenage_Kiwi's local.

Somehow myself, Jiberjaber and Tomsk, who had all ridden solo, managed to meet at the appointed hour.  Meanwhile, the Witham peloton, formed of Teenage_Kiwi, the Hustler, Tokyo Sex(pest) and the BFC had gone off piste to throw us off the scent.  Eventually we saw the glow in the sky that heralds the arrival of the BFC's pink floyd lighting rig.

The original intention had been to visit four local energy drink dispensaries.  However Tokyo had prepared a spreadsheet based on the drinking time we would lose to faffage.  That plan was soon therefore aborted in favour of a trip to Teenage_Kiwi's local hangout and what a hangout it was.  When you are a teenager like him, there is nothing you like more than a huge tv turned up to full volume with the latest hit parade smashes blaring out across a pub full of teenagers shouting at each other.  Our colonial friend is clearly something of a local celebrity with the other youths and seemed right at home.  Being that sort of place, we were soon offered "Jaffa Cakes".  This turned out not to be a legal high or something worse but an actual packet of Jaffa cakes.  They really do know him well in there. 

I took the opportunity of asking a few questions of the fixed brains trust.  Otherwise the conversation was mainly around the Horsepower and logistics for the Shark.

With one of the legends present(and no nearby station), everyone managed to ride home as well.  The roads are in a terrible state at the moment for night cycling but at least the temperature seems to be on the rise for spring.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #572 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:39:05 am »
Sounds like you had a good night. Meanwhile I was getting shit faced for free again. This must stop.

« Reply #573 on: 10 March, 2016, 08:42:12 am »
It was friendlier than I had expected in the Anchor but I wouldn't say it was somewhere I'd hurry back to and it made me realise why I have not been there for 12 years and why I drink at home when I fancy a beer.

It was indeed like being at a student party, just not very bright students! The TV being turned up to full volume was annoying at best. (see I am not a teenager)

The ride from Witham was a reasonably quick affair. Oaky was suggestion that my Zig Zag route looked to be inspired by OD, I pointed out a lot of the Zig Zagging was to avoid the COR which I figured would be best due to the conditions. Oaky was suitably punished for his comments with a flint through his tyre on the VERY muddy road up to Tolleshunt Knights.

I changed the last 500 metres of the route taking a little diversion and that happened to be where we missed GD, Tomsk and Jibbers....any talk of wholesale changes to my route is complete bollocks.

Anyway, Tiptree crossed off the list of places to visit...apart from my overdue Mancave warming which will happen at some stage when the weather is warmer.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #574 on: 10 March, 2016, 09:36:42 am »
A fun night, flinty puncture notwithstanding (I should have kept hold of the offending item, in case any local museums wanted it for their collection of neolithic arrow-heads).

Whilst the only ale on offer was GK IPA, to the pub's credit I found it a lot better-tasting than it usually is.  Free box of Jaffa cakes, too!