Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 520829 times)

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
Re: MEMWNS Miscellany
« Reply #600 on: 11 March, 2016, 03:51:57 pm »

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #601 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:20:31 pm »
Lunch.

It ten to 4!

Sounds like a fine time to be returning from lunch on a Friday to me.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #602 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:23:22 pm »
indeed, that is planned perfectly.

« Reply #603 on: 11 March, 2016, 04:43:52 pm »
Lunch is now finished.

Time for home.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #604 on: 12 March, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »
Fixed Gear Cycling - The most dangerous fad on earth?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=290djiNH2HE

JCB ;D

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #605 on: 12 March, 2016, 10:15:53 pm »
He's a nutter that bloke!  ;D
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #606 on: 12 March, 2016, 11:30:50 pm »
That guy is a Twat....although can be quite funny.

This guy is a Nutter...and Swiss (WTF?)

Patrick Seabse

« Reply #607 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:02:34 am »
Another strong turn out from the mid-Essex peloton for the Horsepower rides on Saturday.  Tokyo rode the time efficient 100 (there was a spreadsheet involved there somewhere).  Meanwhile Tippers, Jiber, Christophe, the Hustler, David Gandy, Huggy and I set off on the 200.

The Hustler and I opted to wait for Huggy at the start while he checked in with mission control and generally faffed.  His excuse was that he had been busy helping Tomsk.  When I checked in he was very busy guarding a pile of AUK stickers while Wilkyboy did the checking in  :o. The upshot was that we started about 10 minutes late but at least we had our navigator and pacesetter along.

As is ever the case, we soon picked up a couple of waifs and strays; fandango - usual navigation issues and Bobb - visitation.

There was still an impressive field out but perhaps with fewer amateurs (other than myself) than last year's PBP fuelled field.  Certainly the beard  count was high and the pace seemed to match.  It is always slightly depressing  to see a stream of riders coming back from Snetterton all having controlled and eaten when you are still 20 minutes away.  We saw the mid-Essex A peloton and had the usual cry of "I'm absolutely ruined" from Jiber as he sped off looking absolutely fine.  Despite the Hustler's misgivings, Tyrell's cafe proved to be excellent.

The Hustler and Bobb had ridden the route as a perm a couple of weeks ago.  This was part of their plan not to ride RRTY, despite having clocked up four months' worth of rides spanning the worst of the winter  :P. Their early season form was awesome, whatever they are up to.  They rode the rest of us off the road leaving us straggling behind as the elastic snapped on more than one occasion.  Being the nice chaps they are, they waited at controls and hedge stops, but they were just at a different level. With four weeks to the Shark, at least I now know how far off the pace I am.

Huggy had produced a detailed plan that involved a careful stopping strategy with lots of bouncing of controls and a 7pm finish.  Needless to say we stopped and ate everywhere even making two stops in Newmarket, Huggy proving unable to ride past the 'Spoons without pulling in for Apple crumble and custard  ;D. The 7pm finish was still achieved though.  Actually Bobb and the Hustler achieved it with Huggy and I trailing in at "7ish".

Arrivee was a welcome haven of soup, tea, sympathy and nuts, although Tippers and his band of locusts seemed to have polished off the pork scratchings.  Tomsk, who is taking his place as Audax royalty very seriously, was waiting to welcome us when we got back.  Instead of asking "so, have you come far" like the real royal family, he simply told us "speak to my man who will sort out your card".  His man turned out to be Wilkyboy who was still chained to the same desk as he had been in the morning.  I did notice that the stickers were now unguarded though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #608 on: 13 March, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
 ;D Nicely written up.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #609 on: 13 March, 2016, 11:56:53 am »
Great write up Ted and thanks for the compliment, stage 3 was quite hard, mostly mentally but I finally managed to pace myself which helped a lot... that bit in to Newmarket was a grind though...  some of the best scenery of the whole ride as the sun made an appearance so I think I took the most photos of the ride in that segment, including the only snowy field in the region :)  :thumbsup:

Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #610 on: 13 March, 2016, 11:58:28 am »

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #611 on: 13 March, 2016, 01:27:27 pm »
Jiber, not a bad effort on the pictures but you might permit me to make a couple of expert observations.

Firstly, they are all the right way up.  What is that all about ?

Secondly, they seem to be in focus.  It's a common mistake with amateur photographers like yourself.

You could profit from signing up to my self help course "The camera phone is a canvas for art".  It's only £99 for the first six parts as an introductory offer. Let me know.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #612 on: 13 March, 2016, 02:00:50 pm »
Picture the scene, we're in the workshop of Joseph Nieple who Google says invented the camera. Joe gives the world's first camera to ted to try. ted takes a photo and gives it to Joe to inspected.

"This is shit" says Joe "I'm wasting my time with this photography bollocks, let's stick with drawing and painting."

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #613 on: 13 March, 2016, 02:01:21 pm »
In keeping with the artistic theme, I usually keep these for private viewing by a delusional discerning audience....

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #614 on: 13 March, 2016, 02:14:17 pm »
You are probably ready for part 2 of the course where we cover upside down and sideways.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #615 on: 13 March, 2016, 02:32:35 pm »
jibers, don't give that man any money.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #616 on: 13 March, 2016, 02:36:04 pm »
I tend to rely on the technology too much and my cameras auto-rotate the picture, I feel this limits my artistic expression so if the course covers how to disable such supposedly well meaning facilities I might be a subscriber...  do you take monopoly money?

In other news, I am half tempted by the 100km Wilkiboy has on next week (though trying to save myself for Easter's exploits) .... might be the first venture out of the carbon this year...  anyone else out on the ride?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #617 on: 15 March, 2016, 11:37:09 am »
Is anyone else riding the Pork Pie or Spring Dash this weekend?

I've decided against ECE'ing it, I've done my 300 for now and it felt good enough to not feel the need to do it again. I intend to enjoy the ride this weekend and then drive home.

I have the big car so happy to put racks on the roof and take others along.

« Reply #618 on: 15 March, 2016, 11:39:02 am »
Jibers looked keen to do the Spring Dash.

I will be doing some sort of solo MEWBs type thing instead.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #619 on: 15 March, 2016, 10:41:49 pm »
I'm on kid duties this weekend, so may manage a ride to the playground and a go on the swings and roundabout. That's all.

« Reply #620 on: 16 March, 2016, 09:19:19 am »
I'm on kid duties this weekend, so may manage a ride to the playground and a go on the swings and roundabout. That's all.

Probably wise at your age.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #621 on: 16 March, 2016, 02:45:22 pm »

Probably wise at your age.

At my age wisdom is about all I can offer.

« Reply #622 on: 16 March, 2016, 02:54:16 pm »

At my age wisdom is about all I can offer.

That's not what various Facebook postings seem to suggest... :thumbsup:

We may meet on the roads this evening avoiding OD's recreation of an episode of Countryfile.  This time I will also be on a bike rather than shouting abuse from my car (it was enjoyable though).

Oscar's dad

« Reply #623 on: 16 March, 2016, 02:56:11 pm »
I've been a fan of John Craven's for many a year - man and boy!

« Reply #624 on: 16 March, 2016, 02:57:45 pm »
I've been a fan of John Craven's for many a year - man and boy!

You must have been the only 25 year old watching Newsround.