Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517629 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #1175 on: 24 May, 2016, 12:12:51 pm »
Namecheap are a good provider of domains. Just don't go near godaddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1176 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:43:42 pm »
acme.bike registration and recurring annual renewal is $34.99 Name.com
(about £25/year)
or £29.99 on freeparking.co.uk

eta: in addition to what Oaky has already laid out for the two domains registered

Also available on freeparking.co.uk for £7.49/year is acme.uk

I thought about that one too - you'll find you can ONLY get acme.uk IF you already own acme.co.uk (which is taken).
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1177 on: 24 May, 2016, 01:45:30 pm »
My opinion -- keep on with audaxclubmidessex.org.uk,  buy acme.bike, make the long one redirect to the short one.  Ditch audaxclubmid-essex.org.uk once it expires.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1178 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:03:19 pm »
My opinion -- keep on with audaxclubmidessex.org.uk,  buy acme.bike, make the long one redirect to the short one.  Ditch audaxclubmid-essex.org.uk once it expires.
Agree, but if we do go ahead and buy acme.bike I think we should use that on jerseys and other promotional material.
When checking out Namecheap for registering acme.bike they only want £17.30/year.  I can't easily find any details about email or domain forwarding from their website though.  Forwarding is supported and 'free' (or at least included in the fee) with free parking.  I've not played with domain registration for quite a while so will defer to anyone with more recent experience than me for best service.
We do currently have sufficient funds to buy acme.bike, funds which would otherwise be used towards the design fee for the jersey.
Topic for the assembled quorum to discuss tomorrow evening  ::-)
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1179 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:18:10 pm »
Agree, but if we do go ahead and buy acme.bike I think we should use that on jerseys and other promotional material.
When checking out Namecheap for registering acme.bike they only want £17.30/year.  I can't easily find any details about email or domain forwarding from their website though.  Forwarding is supported and 'free' (or at least included in the fee) with free parking.  I've not played with domain registration for quite a while so will defer to anyone with more recent experience than me for best service.
We do currently have sufficient funds to buy acme.bike, funds which would otherwise be used towards the design fee for the jersey.
Topic for the assembled quorum to discuss tomorrow evening  ::-)

£17.30 sounds pretty cheap for the .bike.  It was looking like £30 per year when I investigated it before.  (Is the £17.30 per year, or first year with it going up to £30 ish afterwards?).

Provided we own the domain,  it's easy for us to point the nameservers to wherever we can find hosting.  I still have one domain's worth of hosting in my own package I could use for it, or alternatively, bobb has hosting, and if that doesn't include DNS admin,  we can always push the DNS part over to AWS Route53 (which is where I'm currently administrating audaxclubmidessex.org.uk from).  Route53 is ~50 cents per month... $6 per year, so, about a pint in That London prices.

« Reply #1180 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:35:10 pm »
.... we can always push the DNS part over to AWS Route53 (which is where I'm currently administrating audaxclubmidessex.org.uk from).  Route53 is ~50 cents per month... $6 per year, so, about a pint in That London prices.

I would go with that. We could also make use of some of Amazon's other services such as S3 for hosting all the assets and SES for transactional emails sent from the site etc. I wouldn't recommend hosting the entire site on AWS as it can be very expensive. I ran a site for testing purposes a while back and was pretty shocked when I got the bill after just one month - about $60! I have hosting with a spare slot for the domain and a spare database I can use. I'm wondering whether we should run the entire site under SSL. We may well be storing some personal information (although nothing particularly sensitive). I will have to upgrade (well sideways cost wise) if we're going to do that. My hosting is actually up for renewal next month, so I'll sort it then.

As I'm doing the website, it will be a .NET MVC application, so don't nobody go doing anything re hosting as I'll have very particular server requirements. I have enough problems with sys admins at work thinking they know what they're doing and fucking everything up!  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1181 on: 24 May, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
Namecheap's £17.30 looks to be a real price,  but I don't see an option on there to register for more than one year, so suspect that the renewal cost would be closer to the $30 everywhere else.  I found one other place (1and1, IIRC) that had it cheap, but they explicitly state "first year" with subsequent years at the ~£30.

I read a few reviews of Namecheap, and mostly they were not good... mainly the issues were around hosting though, and while I'm not sure how much they could get wrong on the domain registration front, I'd be twitchy about their renewals and/or transfer out perfromance.

(Unless anyone's used them and has had a good experience with it).

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1182 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:35:35 pm »
Isn't there ACME.cc available?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #1183 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:40:23 pm »
I've got crossfitblackwater.com running under namecheap. The renewal wasn't a price hike. They've been pretty good so far. I used godaddy before but there was a 4h+ lag on any emails going to the site. Agree with route 53. I'm a .net coder these days for my sins.

« Reply #1184 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:42:14 pm »
On the ssl front it should be possible to use let's encrypt to get a free cert.

« Reply #1185 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:43:17 pm »
Is there a version of this thread available in English ?
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #1186 on: 24 May, 2016, 03:51:58 pm »

You just keep concentrating on the legal side of things Ted until the BFC can explain the rest to us all

« Reply #1187 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:20:15 pm »

edit
01001110 01101111 00101100 00100000 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01001111 01100110 01100110

« Reply #1188 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:22:38 pm »
Is that Kiwinese ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1189 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:40:03 pm »
Is that Kiwinese ?
It's not regular, polite, Kiwinese, it's the vulgar.  :o

« Reply #1190 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:46:06 pm »
Believe me Del, that's quite polite  ;D

« Reply #1191 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:47:54 pm »
Then we can welcome New Zealand into the 1960s at last!  ;D

« Reply #1192 on: 24 May, 2016, 05:49:23 pm »
I thought about that one too - you'll find you can ONLY get acme.uk IF you already own acme.co.uk (which is taken).

I'll check that later, as I bought psyclist.uk without owning the .co.uk version.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #1193 on: 24 May, 2016, 06:01:28 pm »
01001110 01101111 00101100 00100000 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01001111 01100110 01100110
;D  ;D
or to put it another way
4e 6f 2c 20 66 75 63 6b 20 6f 66 66
 :D
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

« Reply #1194 on: 24 May, 2016, 06:50:39 pm »

By your standards perhaps.

We'll civilise you yet.

« Reply #1195 on: 24 May, 2016, 07:18:51 pm »

I'll check that later, as I bought psyclist.uk without owning the .co.uk version.

In the pre-launch period there was a restriction on needing to own the .co.uk version, but there are no restrictions now in place. The following is on 123-reg.co.uk website:

"The .uk domain is available on a first come, first served basis. This applies to all such situations, with no exceptions."

My preference would be acme.uk - it as simple as it can be - .uk is the new black

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1196 on: 24 May, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
Unsurprisingly, ac.me is taken  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #1197 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:15:11 pm »
Acme.uk sounds good... no .cc through?
Regards,

Joergen

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1198 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:19:20 pm »

In the pre-launch period there was a restriction on needing to own the .co.uk version, but there are no restrictions now in place. The following is on 123-reg.co.uk website:

"The .uk domain is available on a first come, first served basis. This applies to all such situations, with no exceptions."

My preference would be acme.uk - it as simple as it can be - .uk is the new black

(my bold) 

I'm guessing that only applies where the corresponding .co.uk isn't already registered.

123-reg.co.uk shows acme.uk as unavailable.

tsohost.co.uk shows acme.uk as available, but if you try to buy it you are confronted with a screen that says

"acme.uk
Great choice, but are you eligible?
acme.uk has been reserved and can only be
registered by the current owner of acme.co.uk

For the registration of acme.uk to be successful the contact name, email &
address you use must exactly match the owner contact details of acme.co.uk.

If you're not the owner of acme.co.uk please go back and search again."

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1199 on: 24 May, 2016, 10:20:26 pm »
Acme.uk sounds good... no .cc through?

re: acme.uk - see above.  acme.cc is taken.