Author Topic: Commuting un-joys  (Read 8668 times)

Re: Commuting un-joys
« Reply #25 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:48:38 am »
No, I meant the Police driving on!

That's what I meant too. Once the mentally unstable cager had managed to flag the police car down and the officer came over to investigate, said officer is bound to follow up any report of a crime made to her. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe there'll be a nofficer along in a minute to comment on that.

Yebbut that follow up can be an immediate decision to NFA the incident.

..d

Doesn't that include at least writing the details down in her little notebook?
The old Legion hand told the recruit, "When things are bad, bleu, try not to make them worse, because it is very likely that they are bad enough already." -- Robert Ruark

« Reply #26 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:49:56 am »
:o

Coming from a weird-bearded, much-pierced chap, the latter one  really would be scary.

Yes, I don't think it would have quite the same effect coming from, say, Liz.

Has Liz got a beard ???

A healthy sense of self-preservation prevents me from answering that in the way I'd really like to.

;D

She most certainly has not, skin as soft as a peach :)

But she has been known to sport a rather fine moustache...

« Reply #27 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:56:10 am »
No, I meant the Police driving on!

That's what I meant too. Once the mentally unstable cager had managed to flag the police car down and the officer came over to investigate, said officer is bound to follow up any report of a crime made to her. That's my understanding anyway. Maybe there'll be a nofficer along in a minute to comment on that.

Yebbut that follow up can be an immediate decision to NFA the incident.

..d

A decision which has to be recorded and potentially justified...

(Beaten to it)

+1 for get a helmet cam. Not only can you then prove the details of the original pass, but more importantly when the moton starts making allegations about your threatening behaviour you can easily demonstrate that the reverse is true.

On the whole, though, I go with the 'don't give the *&^$%£ the satisfaction of reacting' advice.  :hand:
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 29 May, 2008, 11:56:57 am »
She most certainly has not, skin as soft as a peach :)

But she has been known to sport a rather fine moustache...

*little moment*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #29 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:06:41 pm »
In todays incident I wouldn't have put myself in the position for the woman to have a go at you, I wouldn't have "stood by the drivers window". Stay behind the drivers who pissed you off, don't rehearse what you are going to say and get ready to say it. Let the moment pass. That is how I interpret Frenchie's advice.

Whenever I have answered back I got more annoyed than when I get the higher ground by ignoring the aggressive driver. Let them steam up.
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

« Reply #30 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:29:09 pm »
If you're running along with the traffic you want to allow more gap from the car in front than a car would leave, but of course other cars try to pop into this gap if they can.  I actively try to prevent it, if necessary cycle right up to the white line.

« Reply #31 on: 29 May, 2008, 12:50:10 pm »
These people are out there and they're a hazard to be dealt with like any other.

Potholes are a hazard and I like to get them "filled in".   ;)

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #32 on: 29 May, 2008, 02:15:04 pm »
In todays incident I wouldn't have put myself in the position for the woman to have a go at you, I wouldn't have "stood by the drivers window". Stay behind the drivers who pissed you off, don't rehearse what you are going to say and get ready to say it. Let the moment pass. That is how I interpret Frenchie's advice.

Whenever I have answered back I got more annoyed than when I get the higher ground by ignoring the aggressive driver. Let them steam up.

+1

I used to get wound up by 'preparing to respond' from time to time - I let most of them go now and my ride in is way more enjoyable.  Doing the JoGLE calmed me down a bit and I think made me a better cyclist (all that continual practice; I certainly anticipate driver behaviour better than I used to).

I see my share of loons on a daily basis, both on four and two wheels (powered and unpowered) but it takes a lot to bother me now.

I used to shout all sorts of stuff back at scary drivers (including some unrepeatable stuff) and I can honestly say that the only things that happened was that I got more stressed, passers by were given the impression that at least some cyclists are aggressive fruitbats and I doubt very much that I did a single thing that would have modified the behaviour of poor drivers.

(I'm not suggesting that you were behaving like me)

« Reply #33 on: 29 May, 2008, 02:23:24 pm »
The most satisfying successes of all are when you can get them to admit they made a mistake.  I'm not sure I'm particularly good at doing that, but the trick seems to be being friendly, calm, and humble.  Nothing even slightly confrontational.

Although inside I often want to angrily tick off a driver for some thoughtless and stupid action, I'd really much rather they learnt from their mistake and realised how it badly affected me.  The second win is a calm ignore them attitude, followed up by a letter and video clip to the company transport manager.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 29 May, 2008, 02:42:06 pm »
Of course it's less stressful to ignore these things.

On the other hand I'm an admirer of anyone taking positive action (no matter how unsuccessful) against selfish bullies.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

ABlipInContinuity

« Reply #35 on: 29 May, 2008, 04:20:29 pm »
The only thing I tend to shout very occasionally is "too close" in what can best be described as an Eeyore stylee. I'm resigned to that happening.

The only other thing I shout is "woh" (pronounced woh?) to get a drivers attention when they haven't seen me, used typically when drivers start pulling out and I can't stop in time.

I tend to smile more and give a thumbs up to drivers who have shown courtesy or who I've succesfully negotiated with to make a right turn or move right.

I think if I had my time again I'd get suitably qualified to conduct research into peoples behaviour in public spaces, especially highways.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 29 May, 2008, 04:28:34 pm »
The only thing I tend to shout very occasionally is "too close" in what can best be described as an Eeyore stylee. I'm resigned to that happening.

check

The only other thing I shout is "woh" (pronounced woh?) to get a drivers attention when they haven't seen me, used typically when drivers start pulling out and I can't stop in time.

check

I tend to smile more and give a thumbs up to drivers who have shown courtesy or who I've succesfully negotiated with to make a right turn or move right.

check

You been copying me? ;D
Getting there...

« Reply #37 on: 30 May, 2008, 08:55:42 pm »
"If you f*ck1ng  pass me again I will knock you off".

Aw, bless her little trapped will-to-power.  :)

Responses that I've used to that line:

"Yeah, sure you will, big boy"  (while stroking beard)

"You'd better kill me when you do it because if you don't I'll f---- track you down and set fire to house and assrape your f---- babies"  (when not in such a conciliatory mood ;) )

:o

Coming from a weird-bearded, much-pierced chap, the latter one  really would be scary.

It would indeed. :o

Any chance of recording and YouTubing that particular threat, Mr Gates? So the rest of us can watch it like a scary horror movie, like?  ;D