Author Topic: commuting advice for this Monday  (Read 828 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
commuting advice for this Monday
« on: 17 January, 2015, 08:26:29 pm »
Daft I know, but I am trying to work out if there is going to be black ice around.

The temp is below freezing but there isn't much rain on Sunday - am I likely to be able to cycle on normal tires ?

I can avoid the cycle paths and stick to the road which should mean that there is less chance of any ice - any advice appreciated.

I will be travelling from NW London (Ruislip) to C London.

I really do not need a fall, so while I am happy to take the train, I want to stick to my 2 x week ritual (and Tues to Thursday am out of the office so cant ride in at all)

thanks

Re: commuting advice for this Monday
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:32:35 pm »
I don't know the detailed forecast for your area, but if it's dry tomorrow and you can stick to gritted roads I wouldn't anticipate any issues. Stay away from cycle paths or any areas that aren't gritted. The most dangerous part of my commute in these conditions is on my house drive or crossing the footpath to the bike racks at the far end.

« Reply #2 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:40:45 pm »
I've been cycling to work all year round from the SW suburbs and heading away from London for over 10 years now. In all that time I've not encountered black ice. The only time it's been slippery is when there's been a snow fall and it has compressed to ice. I stick to the roads.
Rust never sleeps

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2015, 08:58:24 pm »
thanks, they are saying frost but am not clear on where exactly.

I guess I will just wake up and see how much there is on the car and then decide.