Author Topic: Wired computer and suspension forks  (Read 2386 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Wired computer and suspension forks
« on: 02 April, 2009, 09:23:08 am »
I'm going to buy a computer for a bike with a suspension fork & was wondering if it was OK to use a wired computer? I assume you can just leave enough slack cable so when the fork is at its maximum extension it doesn't rip the cable to bits? And that is what you have to do anyway to allow the handlebars to spin from left to right anyway, so I think it would be OK. (I've had bad experience with wireless computers, so would like to avoid that if possible.) Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Wired computer and suspension forks
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2009, 09:40:20 am »
A little slack over maximum, in case of rebound, and it ought to be OK.  Worked on my Moulton, anyway ;) 

Alternatively, set it up on the rear wheel.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2009, 09:52:44 am »
Alternatively, set it up on the rear wheel.

Good point, that didn't cross my mind! One wired computer ordered.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2009, 05:44:07 pm »
Presumably the sensor is on a bit of the fork which doesn't bounce anyway (otherwise it would move in relation to the magnet).  Can't you just run it up to the brakes, and then twist it around the brake cable until it gets to the handlebars, I normally do it like this on non-suspended bikes.  The brake cable will take most of the shock and twisting.

Of course, if you're running discs, this won't work.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #4 on: 02 April, 2009, 08:20:26 pm »

Why not ?

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2009, 08:22:39 pm »
OK, it probably wont work as nicely, since you'll have to go the wrong direction to get to the brake cables, and the wiring may not be long enough.

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2009, 08:32:09 pm »
Wired works fine with sus.  Just work out how much slack to leave.

I prefer wired.  Cordless need more batteries.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2009, 10:02:43 am »

Why not ?

Well, it will work but it's more awkward. It's easier to get the sensor to work on the non-disk side because of the dishing, and you're also more prone to bash things on the disk side when fitting the wheel, because you're concentrating on getting the disk aligned with the caliper. (Don't ask how I know this!).

As others have said, just run the wire from the fork bridge to the crown, with little-or-no slack on full extension. Or go from the arch to a brake cable/hose below the bars - this allows flex of the cable/hose to take up some (not much) slack as the forks compress.

I've found wireless computers to be a bit hit-and-miss with suspension forks. Whether this is because of the extra metalwork or the bigger distance between the bars and the sensor, I'm not sure (probably both), but my success rate with wireless is only about 1-in-3...  :-\
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2009, 01:52:46 pm »
I run computers to the rear for preference (if you swap onto a turbo trainer alot) but you will need a longer bit of electric string*

*not impossible to extend/replace, but can be a bit fiddly.

« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2009, 04:14:19 pm »
Sometimes manufacturers can supply rear wheel mounting kits, where the main difference is that the wire is much longer.  They will of course charge you a small additional fortune for this.