Author Topic: Finding saddle nirvana in one step?  (Read 6434 times)

Re: Finding saddle nirvana in one step?
« Reply #25 on: 30 April, 2010, 11:17:16 am »
My San Marco Rolls are the most comfortable saddles I have ever had.

It's stupid to say Brooks, which model ? Hardly any of the long distance riders in my club use Brooks by the way.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2010, 02:56:20 pm »
Cheers. I'll have a think whether to gamble on something different in the hope it's more comfortable than the current saddle.

Tis usage info that one can get decent prices for second hand saddles.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:01:18 pm »
It's just a bit of banter between myself and young Clarion.   ;)  

Oh, and as for what model:  I have a B17 on my flat barred, roughstuff tourer, one on my drop barred ti audax, and one on the drop barred MH (tandem).   I find that the riding position differs between all three, and that each B17 has moulded to me slightly differently accordingly.   :thumbsup:    I did try a Swift on the audax machine but it was murderous :( , though not nearly as damaging as the Specialized BG was  :'(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #28 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:11:03 pm »
So you have yet to feel the delights of the ti-railed Swallow

« Reply #29 on: 30 April, 2010, 03:13:30 pm »
Indeed.  Though given how well I get on with the modest yet supremely comfortable B17, why bother with anything else?   ;D

« Reply #30 on: 30 April, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »
My friend has also got a Charge Spoon and says it is the most comfortable saddle he has had - titanium version.

I've never tried one, but I note how often this saddle gets positive reviews.

I got one last week. Three rides later I'm still finding it a bit uncomfortable, and I think I've more or less done tweaking the position. If it rubs again on a longer ride this weekend then I'll swap it back to the creaky ridgeback default one for my 200k next weekend.

Maybe there's a market for a database that you send a scan of your bum and it gives you a saddle recommendation?

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #31 on: 01 May, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
My friend has also got a Charge Spoon and says it is the most comfortable saddle he has had - titanium version.

I've never tried one, but I note how often this saddle gets positive reviews.

I got one last week. Three rides later I'm still finding it a bit uncomfortable, and I think I've more or less done tweaking the position. If it rubs again on a longer ride this weekend then I'll swap it back to the creaky ridgeback default one for my 200k next weekend.

Maybe there's a market for a database that you send a scan of your bum and it gives you a saddle recommendation?

a business opportunity there for Regulator ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #32 on: 01 May, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »
Speaking from Team Pro experience:

- A really old and swaybacked one is a delight, especially if it had the "pre-softened" leather.  One of mine dates from 1967 (technically it's a Brooks Professional, with slightly smaller copper rivets and a cut-off nose, but same width) and someone else did the hard work for me.

of the new ones:

- The Ti railed one is completely different in feel.  The leather doesn't have to break in as much because the rails are so flexible compared to steel; remember, they have to be the same diameter to fit the seatpost, but Ti is only about half as stiff (the longevity is probably less too, because I doubt all that flexing is within its fatigue limit).  More likely to be comfortable from new.

- The steel one has no "give" and is like granite when new; the Team Pro is reputed to have the thickest leather of any Brooks saddle.  Mine is visibly broken in after 1000 miles and is reasonably comfortable, but it needs another 1000 on it.

For a cheap fit, ride and forget saddle, the Specialized BG Comp 143 suited me perfectly.  On a very long summer ride it won't breathe like a leather saddle, but it is a very good shape.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #33 on: 01 May, 2010, 01:09:45 pm »
+1 for Specialized BG.

They come in different widths, and a slew of designs and the shops that sell them have a foam thing you can sit on to measure what width saddle would suit you. Not a guarantee of comfort, but I have two of these and find them great. I think they're discontinued, but they'll have been replaced by something similar.

« Reply #34 on: 01 May, 2010, 01:19:57 pm »
I'm sticking with Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow from now on. I flirted with a Brooks for rides totalling about 200 miles and came out in severe pain. It's just not suited to me (or vice versa).  I've realised I prefer a saddle with a 'flat' top and cut-out; the Brooks is too 'ridged' in the middle, and digs in where it really shouldn't.

It's all down to personal choice - agreed!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #35 on: 01 May, 2010, 02:49:03 pm »
It's worth repeating: you need a Brooksbum to be comfy on a Brooks saddle,particularly straight out of the box.

« Reply #36 on: 01 May, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »
I strongly recommend the Fizik concept of "what are you - snake, chameleon or bull" (see their web site)

By looking at this I moved to the one recommended for my type (bull=Aliante) - most comfortable saddle ever for me.

I now have numerous other saddles for slowly leaking onto e-bay!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #37 on: 01 May, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
Specialized dealers should have an "Assometer" (yes, I know it sounds like something Ben Dover would use in a low-rent scud movie) which measures the spacing of your sit-bones.  143mm is the medium one, I think.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/zMbZ2Q8VqOo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/zMbZ2Q8VqOo&rel=1</a>

Link safe for work.  Really.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #38 on: 01 May, 2010, 10:22:06 pm »
Very useful.  Mine is 143.  There are three main sizes, up to 155 in normal road saddles, and a bit wider in the ladies'
Getting there...