Author Topic: Which quick release [for Carradice bag]?  (Read 12674 times)

Re: Which quick release [for Carradice bag]?
« Reply #25 on: 22 December, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »
I've got a Super C Saddlebag on order (due end january) so need to get some sort of fitting kit for it.
Thing is, I want to use it on both my road bike and MTB without the hassle of removing seat posts. It will get very occasional use on both anyway.
I'm more tempted by the bagman. Will this fully support a super c saddlebag?
BTW I don't own a Brooks saddle either.....
Check out my blog: Aspiring Rouleur
Twitter: DKNWHY

« Reply #26 on: 22 December, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »
I'm more tempted by the bagman. Will this fully support a super c saddlebag?

Expedition QR supporting a Camper Longflap

If you go over rough tracks, it bounces a fair bit, so I added a rubber buffer to protect the mudguard (a piece of car footmat found by the roadside).

« Reply #27 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. A SQR is on its way and im going to see how it goes 8)

Once again cheers for all the advice 8)

Don't question. It makes people angry.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #28 on: 22 December, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »

Where can I get one of these light brackets from (the metal bit)?
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 22 December, 2010, 10:09:09 pm »
I think we have one somewhere...

I'll have a root around tomorrow, if I feel well enough (it's at the back of the dining room, beyond all the bikes, and if I'm wobbly, it'd be daft).
Getting there...

« Reply #30 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:07:25 pm »
Where can I get one of these light brackets from (the metal bit)?

Hebie ARC J82S SL Rack Fitting Light Bracket

The bagman rod is slightly too thin, so there's a strip of coke can wrapped round a few times to pad it out. The bracket is sized for Blackburn style racks (8mm).

edit: link changed to Evans. SJSC are out of stock.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #31 on: 22 December, 2010, 11:29:43 pm »
:thumbsup:
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #32 on: 23 December, 2010, 06:46:33 am »
I realise this is what the SQR is for, but this would be for use on a Brompton where having an SQR clamp on the seatpost would compromise the fold.

Any suggestions as to where this idea may lie on the genius--->lunacy spectrum?

We use a SQR on a Brompton with a standard seat post with no problems, other than the seat post wont go down to its lowest point. The fold still works fine and locks up with the seat post.

« Reply #33 on: 23 December, 2010, 07:10:20 pm »
Managed to obtain karrimor uplift from fellow cyclist for a fiver woot dead chuffed.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: 06 March, 2011, 10:20:49 am »
Something I'm not sure about is how well a bagman gets on with Ti saddle rails. Can it cause problems with a heavy bag?

If the saddle can cope with 70kg and more from the rider then I would guess a saddlebag and support (15kg at most) should be OK.

I'm thinking more about how wide the part of the bagman that clamps onto the rails is - is it going to give localised stresses, whereas the saddle clamp is quite wide and spreads the load? It's probably not an issue.

Having put a bagman expedition on my bike to support my Nelson longflap, (on a Ti railed Swift) I'm not sure it is right.
It is certainly easy to put on and off. And nice to have the bag vertical rather than at an angle like on an SQR block.

BUT, taking a not-heavily-packed bag (i.e. guess 4kg - a lock, some tools and waterproofs/extra clothes), the bag bounces a little on rough roads (not a problem in itself) - but I can feel what seems to be the saddle leather tightening and loosening as it does so. That is worrying for long term reliability as it suggests that the bagman is swinging vertically and flexing the saddle rails.