Author Topic: BBC SPOTY 2015  (Read 4769 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: BBC SPOTY 2015
« Reply #25 on: 08 December, 2015, 12:35:46 pm »
I think Lee's right, he stands no chance now that his views are well-known.

But I don't think he's the antichrist; he seems to know his place in the world:

Hopefully I don't win @BBCSPOTY as I'm not the best roll model in the world for the kids, give it to someone who would appreciate it, Gypsy King
(@Tyson_Fury) December 4, 2015

(I won't quote his rather honest comments about ring girls, which made me smile, but might offend Lee! )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #26 on: 08 December, 2015, 01:21:31 pm »
(I won't quote his rather honest comments about ring girls, which made me smile, but might offend Lee! )

Thanks Matt, I'm quite sensitive.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 08 December, 2015, 03:09:11 pm »
No problem  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #28 on: 08 December, 2015, 06:52:20 pm »
I was thinking that the massive attention he was getting might well attract votes from the same sort of people that like Jeremy Clarkson. There are lots of them about.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #29 on: 08 December, 2015, 06:54:19 pm »
See Trump, D.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 08 December, 2015, 07:20:39 pm »
Those two have both benefitted from very expensive educations, and know exactly what they are doing.

(although I *sometimes* have doubts about Mr Trump!)

I think Tyson is just a daft lad who is dead good at fighting, and has worked hard to make the most of it (in a legal format, against consenting opponents).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #31 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:39:36 pm »
... (In my view, the extremely limited amount of cricket that I have seen since then has indicated that no-one covered cricket as well as the BBC either).

As a youngster I was an avid watcher of cricket on the Beeb. As a consequence, I learnt a lot about horse racing  ;)

I'm rather fond of Sky's coverage...some of their analysis of technique is top notch and not something the BBC ever concerned themselves with.

TMS is, of course, peerless and SPOTY an anachronism.

(edited for typo)

« Reply #32 on: 08 December, 2015, 09:46:46 pm »
Yeah, you must be trippin', Wow - the Beeb's TV coverage was awful. Apart from hats at Ascot (I wouldn't have minded so much if they'd just cut away for the races, but there was a hell of a lot of hat talk from Ascot and cutaways for other sports which they were obliged to cover), I mainly remember dreary Tony Lewis in his MCC tie. It wasn't all bad (Richie Benaud), but C4's coverage was much better.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 09 December, 2015, 10:56:50 am »
Better definition, computer analysis and colour have also made TV cricket much better. Oh, and less Boycott.
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #34 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:05:15 pm »
No great surprise as to the winner but more so to see Kevin Sinfield as runner-up and Lewis Hamilton not even on the podium.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
SPOTY
« Reply #35 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:06:52 pm »
Is it just me who thinks it's a pointless bunch of wank?  Usually won by someone with no personality, voting easily gerrymandered (yes, I'm looking at you, cycling fans) yet it's undeniably popular.

Can't they at least rename it to "Most Winningest Sportsperson Of The Year" with additional categories for "Best Six-Pack On a Woman", "Hunkiest Bloke In Shorts" and "First Winner At Something The Brits Have Sucked At For Decades"?

Still, at least Tyson Fury didn't win  :smug:
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #36 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
I voted for Lizzie,  but I'm pleased Andy won. Poor Jamie though. Nobody cares about doubles players.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #37 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:17:46 pm »
I switched over as soon as the singing started and didn't switch back until Mad Max Dan Carter was handing over the third place award, so didn't get to vote.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: SPOTY
« Reply #38 on: 20 December, 2015, 09:35:58 pm »
Is it just me who thinks it's a pointless bunch of wank?  Usually won by someone with no personality, voting easily gerrymandered (yes, I'm looking at you, cycling fans) yet it's undeniably popular.

It's a programme that's on over the Christmas period, has little in the way of Christmas content, gets a guaranteed audience of sports fans, and nobody had to bake, dance, sing, sew or pottery anything.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #39 on: 20 December, 2015, 11:39:19 pm »
I think the correct term is "bucket of wank". However I think it should be Sportsperson of the year and I think Andy Murray deserved that this year.

Psychler

• Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr........
  • 33.2 miles from Steeple Bumpstead
« Reply #40 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:44:59 am »
Is it just me who thinks it's a pointless bunch of wank?

Nope!
I'm gonna limp to the pub and drink 'til the rest of me is as numb as my arse.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #41 on: 21 December, 2015, 11:07:46 am »
Is it just me who thinks it's a pointless bunch of wank?

Not sure I'd go that far, but tedious?, for sure.

Claire Balding should be restricted to talking to posh-nobs in tweed at horsey events.  I'm 100% certain she owns a hockey stick and I'm damn sure it's a jolly one.

Personality and winning seem more and more mutually exclusive.  As much as Tyson Fury's personality is objectionable he does at least have one I suppose.

Since winning the award is dependent on people actually caring enough to pick up a telephone I suppose you have to take into account the type of person who does that, and what sort of sports-person appeals to that sort of person. 

I imagine that Andy Murray's main fans are middle-aged women, whose lonely corpses will one day be eaten by their cats. 
It's not hard to imagine them being the sort of person who cares enough about Andy winning to register a few votes on his behalf.

On that basis I expect Nigel Havers or Colin Firth would win it if they entered.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #42 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:14:52 pm »
It's not Pointless - that gets far more viewers. In fact, even Countryfile is watched by more people than the SPotY these days. But it keeps going because it's a BBC institution. I'm sure there would be an outcry if they tried to axe it. I caught the end of it while waiting for The Apprentice to start, otherwise the fact that it was on telly last night would have passed me by completely.

The well-worn argument about the appropriateness of the term "Personality" is quite as tedious as the show itself.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #43 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:25:12 pm »
I think it's a pity it's become all about the winner of SPOTY, rather than focusing on the BBC review of the sporting year.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #44 on: 21 December, 2015, 12:28:50 pm »
I think it's a pity it's become all about the winner of SPOTY, rather than focusing on the BBC review of the sporting year.
Xfactor-style viewer voting is where it's at. You cant make telly about anything else!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #45 on: 21 December, 2015, 08:46:38 pm »
Yeah, they should each tell a different sob story before the telephone votes close.  "I was once bitten by a family's cocker spaniel while stealing the caravan from their front garden in Newport Pagnell", etc.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #46 on: 21 December, 2015, 10:58:22 pm »
I didn't think they had front gardens in Newport Pagnall.

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
« Reply #47 on: 21 December, 2015, 11:41:36 pm »
I didn't think they had front gardens in Newport Pagnall.
No, they don't - it's all front bottoms!
 ;)

« Reply #48 on: 22 December, 2015, 11:09:27 am »
You mean there is actually a place called Newport Pagnell and it's not just a piss stop on the M1?

« Reply #49 on: 22 December, 2015, 05:51:52 pm »

You mean there is actually a place called Newport Pagnell and it's not just a piss stop on the M1?
Seems so - but what would a resident of Leicester Forest East know?
(I can see the piss-stop from upstairs)
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.