Author Topic: BBC SPOTY 2015  (Read 4721 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: BBC SPOTY 2015
« Reply #50 on: 22 December, 2015, 10:43:27 pm »
You mean there is actually a place called Newport Pagnell and it's not just a piss stop on the M1?
There are some big sluices in the town; when they open them, Bedford gets flooded.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #51 on: 23 December, 2015, 12:50:35 am »
You mean there is actually a place called Newport Pagnell and it's not just a piss stop on the M1?

Aston Martin were based there for many years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

Re: SPOTY
« Reply #52 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:28:43 pm »
I think the correct term is "bucket of wank". However I think it should be Sportsperson of the year and I think Andy Murray deserved that this year.

Why..apart from the Davis Cup final, he didn't win any major tournaments. I'd argue that Fury's achievement as a sportsperson was much more significant.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 23 December, 2015, 07:38:13 pm »
It's tougher to win the Davis Cup.

It wasn't just the Final either, you cannot have missed that  ???
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #54 on: 23 December, 2015, 11:52:25 pm »
It's tougher to win the Davis Cup.

It wasn't just the Final either, you cannot have missed that  ???

The highest ranked opponent he faced was Tsonga(10th). Murray was, on paper at least, supposed to win all his matches.
Nobody really expected Fury to win, even against an aging Klitschko.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #55 on: 24 December, 2015, 07:44:30 am »
Fury is feted for winning one match. Murray won eleven in the Davis Cup alone. Nine of those matches were played in sets of three consecutive days. Between the Davis Cup Matches Murray largely carried onsite his day job. Murray joins John MAcenroe and Mats Wliander as the only Davis Cup players to win all eight of their singles matches.

He reached a Final, two Semi finals and a fourth round of the grand slams and became only the third player ever to reach at least every semi-final stage in the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments. You can probably guess  the other three. He finished second in the world in his sport.

Sorry, Fury doesn't come near.

Corrected for autocorrupt errors.
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: SPOTY
« Reply #56 on: 24 December, 2015, 09:02:49 am »
I think the correct term is "bucket of wank". However I think it should be Sportsperson of the year and I think Andy Murray deserved that this year.

Why..apart from the Davis Cup final, he didn't win any major tournaments. I'd argue that Fury's achievement as a sportsperson was much more significant.

Fury's error was confusing having a personality with simply acting like a dickhead.   

I'm glad he didn't Trump Murray's ace.
Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #57 on: 24 December, 2015, 12:05:50 pm »
Fury is feted for winning one match.

Far be it for me to sound like a Fury supporter but winning the World Title in boxing is far from a one match thing.
It's years on a knife-edge. 

If Murray loses concentration for a second here or there then he gets many chances during a match to put it right.

If a boxer loses concentration, even several fights away from a World Title shot, it could spell the end of a career as they tumble down the pecking-order.
Winning the World Title is regularly the culmination of 15 years unbeaten boxing.
Ultimately that's the excitement of Boxing, even the greatest are only one lucky punch away from defeat. 

Having said all that... Fury is a Nobber and I'm hoping for Anthony Joshua to help remove him from any future SPOTY nominations.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #58 on: 24 December, 2015, 12:12:02 pm »
A year or two ago noted dickhead Pat Cash opined that tennis players were surely the tuoughest athletes in The Wuurrrrld.  I think he is this: wrong.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jakob

« Reply #59 on: 24 December, 2015, 10:19:12 pm »
Having said all that... Fury is a Nobber and I'm hoping for Anthony Joshua to help remove him from any future SPOTY nominations.

This I don't disagree with at all.