Author Topic: Marmite  (Read 10739 times)

Marmite
« on: 15 June, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »
Forgive the poor memory but when I was a kid I'm sure Marmite used to be more solid in consistency like smooth peanut butter, I could've sworn I remember digging it out of the jar when the weather was a bit cool.

I've just had some and it's almost runny, in fact I noticed you can get it in squeezy tubs! have they changed the recipe or am I remembering wrong?  ???

Re: Marmite
« Reply #1 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:32:24 pm »
They've been playing with it over recent years, it shouldn't be allowed

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:34:20 pm »
Who cares? It's still yummy.

And if you're clever, you can do this with it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rS-i-qTLTo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/0rS-i-qTLTo&rel=1</a>

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:35:08 pm »
Just leave it in the back of the cupboard for a few years. It will harden up ;)
Pen Pusher

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »
Well, the weather's a bit warm today, innit?

I suspect they put an even runnier version in the squeezy tubs (though I've never tried them).

Try Marmite XO: Extra Old.  That's more solid and darker in colour.  I can't make up my mind whether I prefer it to the normal stuff.

●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #5 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:11:19 pm »
... it's also not as strong as it was ... in my youth a mere skim of a coating on the toast brought tears to the eyes .. nowadays a good dollop fails to excite the tongue (and I'm sure it's not that I've become immune.

I'm delighted that my grandson is a "Marmite person" .. his mother (my daughter) is - her husband isn't ... but then he's from Yorkshire

Rob

... and the well-known ice cream shop in Little Clarendon Street in Oxford actually made a Marmite flavoured ice cream about 10 years ago  8)

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:15:29 pm »
Don't our toungues and noses wear out with age?  Nothing tastes as good as it used to to me.  And I've never smoked.

Viscount biscuits I remember tasting strongly minty.  Now they're relatively bland (as well as being smaller!).
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:25:08 pm »
I won't ask the mods to move this thread to Food & Drink cos I don't class Marmite as food  :demon:...

« Reply #8 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:26:47 pm »
It's definitely softer than it was. Like Yorkies - they used to break your teeth.  But I boycott them now, since they advertised them as Not for Girls.  Fair enough, I thought, I won't buy them.

Oh, and Mars Bars and Creme Eggs used to be twice the size.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:51:05 pm »
Maybe they've reduced the salt content. That would make it less hard on the tongue.

My Hungarian kids were weaned on it in Budapest. You could get hold of it over there at Tesco, but for the price of a 125g jar I could bring over one of the REALLY big jars in my baggage (not hand baggage though).

I'm afraid trying it on Hungarians other than my kids did not prove successful - though it was entertaining.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #10 on: 15 June, 2011, 05:59:23 pm »
Vegemite is thicker - like Aussies no doubt  ;D

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2011, 06:54:13 pm »
I won't ask the mods to move this thread to Food & Drink cos I don't class Marmite as food  :demon:...

100% with you on this, Helly. :sick:

Still, the thicker it gets, the better for plugging holes in tyres. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2011, 07:12:00 pm »
Still, the thicker it gets, the better for plugging holes in tyres. :thumbsup:

Alternatively, it would make a passable lap joint sealant on felt roofing.  ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:09:28 pm »
I've got a pot of XO.  Basically, it's what marmite used to be like.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:32:28 pm »
Someone on a run suggested marmite with peanut butter. Its not half bad actually, you might want to try it.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #15 on: 15 June, 2011, 08:43:39 pm »
Someone on a run suggested marmite with peanut butter. Its not half bad actually, you might want to try it.
For heaven's sake!  Where've you been?  I've been eating marmite and peanut butter toast since I was a wean.  I still have one daily in my sandwich  pack.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #16 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:14:50 pm »
It's definitely softer than it was. Like Yorkies - they used to break your teeth.  But I boycott them now, since they advertised them as Not for Girls.  Fair enough, I thought, I won't buy them.

There was an interesting article in the paper the other day about how food manufacturers are changing the size of products and packs to maintain the "accepted"  item price ...  make it smaller and charge the same price, the customer doesn't notice the rampant inflation.

The classic products for this are things like toothpaste and shampoo ... and take a look at some of the shelf tickets for "n per nn gms" - some of the variations for different packs are amazing.

Rob

« Reply #17 on: 15 June, 2011, 09:27:24 pm »
I obviously had a sheltered upbringing.... :-[
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #18 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:14:44 am »
Marmalade and peanut butter for me! :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

YahudaMoon

• John Diffley
« Reply #19 on: 16 June, 2011, 12:17:11 am »

That reminds me of my train spotting days. Maybe I should'nt av said that ?

« Reply #20 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:16:27 am »

A colleague has this on toast for his lunches.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #21 on: 16 June, 2011, 08:20:57 am »

Marmalade and Marmite :thumbsup:

On toast though. Doesn't work on bread.
Pen Pusher

« Reply #22 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:29:11 am »

There was an interesting article in the paper the other day about how food manufacturers are changing the size of products and packs to maintain the "accepted"  item price ...  make it smaller and charge the same price, the customer doesn't notice the rampant inflation.

The classic products for this are things like toothpaste and shampoo ... and take a look at some of the shelf tickets for "n per nn gms" - some of the variations for different packs are amazing.

Rob

Oh yes, I'm a keen checker of n per nn grams figures.  Handy that they print them on the tickets, my metal arithmetic isn't up to anything too complicated.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #23 on: 16 June, 2011, 09:38:34 am »

I found it slimier greasier too
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #24 on: 16 June, 2011, 10:01:04 am »

I found it slimier greasier too

Does it have sugar in it or is that just the Kiwi version?
 :sick: