Author Topic: Bike Stormz  (Read 32076 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Bike Stormz
« on: 25 July, 2016, 03:12:13 pm »
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/central-london-brought-to-standstill-by-horde-of-aggressive-cyclists-a3303496.html

Seems a mob brought Central London to a halt on Saturday night.

In my grumpy opinion this is Not a Good Thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bike Stormz
« Reply #1 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:24:42 pm »
Just looks like Critical Mass meets summer holidays to me; written up by predictably scareable "road safety campaigner".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #2 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:29:13 pm »
Well, the video on that page just showed an awful lot of people getting about on bikes. No need for grump. I didn't even see a "mob". Unless, say a traffic jam counts as a "mob". Sure, a few of them were pulling wheelies, and a few red lights may have gone unrespected - but overall, looked like a nice day.

Pancho

« Reply #3 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:30:54 pm »
Just looks like Critical Mass meets summer holidays to me; written up by predictably scareable "road safety campaigner".

It didn't appear to be the Critical Mass demographic. More POBs (of which I'm one - so it's not a derogatory term) than crusty cycle campaigners. Also young people. And black people.

« Reply #4 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:36:01 pm »
brought to a standstill? seemed to be a lot of people moving much faster than normal london transport speeds.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Pancho

« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
"They" (well, someone) has a website http://www.bikelife.tv/about-us/

Interesting. What a completely different take on bikes. Most unlike the cycle-lobbyists, sports riders, tourists, etc that I'm more used to. Different but good, I'd say.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »
"Peddle bikes!"

:facepalm:
Milk please, no sugar.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 25 July, 2016, 04:07:21 pm »

Interesting. What a completely different take on bikes. Most unlike the cycle-lobbyists, sports riders, tourists, etc that I'm more used to. Different but good, I'd say.
That seems to be motorbikes, Pancho.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2016, 04:08:03 pm »

It didn't appear to be the Critical Mass demographic. More POBs (of which I'm one - so it's not a derogatory term) than crusty cycle campaigners. Also young people. And black people.
Yeah. Hence summer holidays!

Pancho

« Reply #9 on: 25 July, 2016, 04:16:01 pm »

That seems to be motorbikes, Pancho.

Go to their front page or news page - they don't seem to differentiate between motorbikes and peddle (sic) bikes. It's another difference when compared with sometimes puritanical and exclusive traditional cycling types.

Pancho

« Reply #10 on: 25 July, 2016, 07:42:02 pm »
I've been watching the videos of previous jaunts they've done: http://www.bikelife.tv/2016/06/22/bikestormz-3-rideout-wheelies-tricks-in-london-bikelife-tv/

Worth taking the time to watch. It is absolutely fantastic to see. An entire subset of cyclists - completely invisible to the likes of us. Of course they get people's backs up - they tick all the boxes: bloody cyclists, young, predominantly male, and ethnically diverse.

ian

« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2016, 07:59:24 pm »
I saw them on Saturday afternoon, they were gathered around Tower Bridge as I did a loop of London to kill some time before my wife's gig and later I joined them heading west along Victoria Embankment. There was a solitary PC cycling along with them. There were probably a couple of hundred kids going what kids on bikes do (pull wheelies, be a minor nuisance). Nothing was being brought a standstill and I'd hardly class them as an aggressive hoard.

Teenagers having fun on a sunny afternoon probably doesn't have the same Daily Mail fizzle, I suppose.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2016, 08:15:43 pm »
Amazing!

Love it. 

Modern bikes must be much easier to wheelie than when we were kids or something! 

A fascinating subculture.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #13 on: 25 July, 2016, 08:19:15 pm »
Looks like a fun bunch. I've never been able to so casually pop a wheel in the air (and keep it there).
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 26 July, 2016, 09:22:41 am »
Looks like a fun bunch. I've never been able to so casually pop a wheel in the air (and keep it there).
This. More please.

The second sentence as well, but as marcus jb says that's entirely down to the march of technology. Erm, apparently.

Pancho

« Reply #15 on: 26 July, 2016, 01:04:52 pm »
In the Daily Mail, they are "aggressive youths" who brought "central London to a standstill". According to the DM, it was a "demonstration" which was "monitored by police".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3707492/Aggressive-youths-bring-central-London-standstill-hundreds-cycling-protest.html

Don't read below the line unless you have a strong stomach and are not prone to high blood pressure.

Despite this being exactly the sort of thing that will, I'm sure, one day be used to justify testing, licensing, MOT-ing, tax-ing, etc for bikes[1], I still think it's fantastic to see.

[1] I'm not bothered as it won't effect me. I've decided to become a criminal if it ever happens.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 26 July, 2016, 01:07:55 pm »
Despite this being exactly the sort of thing that will, I'm sure, one day be used to justify testing, licensing, MOT-ing, tax-ing, etc for bikes young people (those under 60)[1], I still think it's fantastic to see.

[1] I'm not bothered as it won't effect me. I've decided to become a criminal if it ever happens. It already has!
More like!  ;)

« Reply #17 on: 26 July, 2016, 01:42:13 pm »
From the Daily Mail*

CENTRAL LONDON BROUGHT TO STANDSTILL

This morning, between the hours of 07:30 and 09:00 and every morning and evening since any one can remember, central London was awash with bored, angry and frustrated grown ups who decided something simply had to be done. They blocked every London street within the North and South circular in a desperate plea to the new London mayor to let them get to work in a totally inefficient and selfish manner with no thoughts whatsoever of others around them.

There was even talk of many people using the same vehicle otherwise known as a bus or underground train in an attempt to avoid the carnage. At most risk however, were those who dared to go out in public untaxed, unlicensed and forced to wear skintight coloured clothing riding of all things bicycles.

A protestor driver said 'I mean I want to get to work in my own expensive car with no consideration of others and had to leave my house an hour earlier than those dangerous risk takers on bicycles just so I can wallow in my own self importance but I'm glad this protest commute means so much to so many people. It warms my heart to see them out here every day'.

*possibly
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #18 on: 26 July, 2016, 04:42:24 pm »
 :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ian

« Reply #19 on: 26 July, 2016, 08:25:07 pm »
In the Daily Mail, they are "aggressive youths" who brought "central London to a standstill". According to the DM, it was a "demonstration" which was "monitored by police".

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3707492/Aggressive-youths-bring-central-London-standstill-hundreds-cycling-protest.html

Don't read below the line unless you have a strong stomach and are not prone to high blood pressure.

Despite this being exactly the sort of thing that will, I'm sure, one day be used to justify testing, licensing, MOT-ing, tax-ing, etc for bikes[1], I still think it's fantastic to see.

[1] I'm not bothered as it won't effect me. I've decided to become a criminal if it ever happens.

Well, I was just behind them where the pictures in the article were taken (on the Embankment). Firstly, there was very little traffic to bring to a standstill. Secondly, they were all in good spirits and having a bit of a laugh. Aggression? I wasn't exactly terrified.

Yeah, they were all over the place and a minor pain for people wanting to cross (and me, as I had to slow down and follow in their wake, thus delaying my ice cream by a minute or so) but you know, teensy little inconveniences, and mostly wouldn't we rather have teenagers out riding bikes rather than stuck at home or stabbing one another? I too thought it was great.

Mind you, Daily Mail readers are terrified of anyone under the age of 25.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2016, 01:48:46 pm »
And now Birmingham.
http://road.cc/content/news/199994-100-young-cyclists-bring-traffic-halt-one-birminghams-busiest-roads
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-driver-fury-100-cyclists-11704340

Driver fury? Cyclist outrage? Too much anger here! In fact, these kids should stop messing around on bikes, I mean, think of the children! Oh, that's them... (The green motocrosser's wheely looks a bit out of control though #i'manoldfarttoo)

Anyone seen Kim recently?

« Reply #21 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:14:23 pm »
Amazing!

Love it. 

Modern bikes must be much easier to wheelie than when we were kids or something! 

I learnt to wheelie 25 years ago and still can hold one for ages (but manuals are harder). The "modern" mtb geometry (long top tube, stubby stem, really short chain stays - <420mm on my 29+) make them super easy to wheelie. I can just wheelie my Madone and Domane too, but I look like even more of a bell end than Sagan

Pancho

« Reply #22 on: 06 August, 2016, 03:31:58 pm »
I've never been able to wheelie. Or, rather, I've never really tried. I wonder if I could? A touring bike with butterfly bars is probably not the best machine, I suspect. Maybe I'll give it a bash next time I'm out. "YOLO", as young people seem to say these days (just before they do something really, really stupid).

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 06 August, 2016, 04:08:07 pm »
Amazing!

Love it. 

I learnt to wheelie 25 years ago and still can hold one for ages (but manuals are harder). The "modern" mtb geometry (long top tube, stubby stem, really short chain stays - <420mm on my 29+) make them super easy to wheelie. I can just wheelie my Madone and Domane too, but I look like even more of a bell end than Sagan
Manuals?
Urban dictionary is no help here, the best it has is:
manual
To ride a bike with the front wheel off the ground. This term is also used in other sports with similar meaning.
That's a wheelie!

« Reply #24 on: 06 August, 2016, 04:22:34 pm »
A wheelie is pedalling and a manual is coasting I believe.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1