General Category > Audax

Windsor Chester Windsor 2019

(1/61) > >>

alwyn:
It's ages away I know, but I've started work on getting ready for next year's Windsor Chester Windsor.

Most of the controls are booked, with no changes to the northern half of the ride. There's a huge village hall about 3km from the current turn, but Christleton is a cute little village, and the hall is utterly charming, so it stays in place. The dual-hall setup at Lilleshall worked really well, so that stays in place too.

The big change from 2015 is that I've decided to make the route compulsory. I think this will work very well for this event. Those who know the history of WCW will know that it was originally a main-road bash that fell victim to those roads getting increasingly busy. The new route uses lanes, but this means twiddling alongside the main roads, slowly clocking up extra distance. Rather than litter the route with info controls, and running the event over-distance, I think it's far better to insist that nobody try and save a few km by attempting to cycle along the A41 (for example).

A mandatory route gives me a lot more control over the distance, so I should be able to get it close to 600km. It also means I can cut out the two sections I disliked near Kidderminster and Moreton in Marsh.

I've yet to settle on a control for the start. My original choice is a pig to route out of, so I'm scouting for others. Happily, Berkshire is groaning under the weight of pretty village halls, so I'm hopeful of a suitable replacement for the lovely hall I used in Old Windsor. As soon as I've got that booked, I'll publish.

As in 2015, the event will be full-service, with controls every 50-70km. It's a rolling route, much like PBP, so you'll be glad of the TLC.

alfapete:
Hmmm, so how do you regulate the 'mandatory' side of things - surely a gpx track is the only way, or multiple secret controls? And this might exclude those who prefer a routesheet...
Expecting fevered debate.

alwyn:
Multiple secret controls, replacing the 4 info controls. That won't affect the routesheet though, unless I'm missing something.

Wycombewheeler:

--- Quote from: alfapete on 07 August, 2018, 08:22:21 pm ---Hmmm, so how do you regulate the 'mandatory' side of things - surely a gpx track is the only way, or multiple secret controls? And this might exclude those who prefer a routesheet...
Expecting fevered debate.

--- End quote ---
I understand in other countries routes are mandatory and a single secret control is considered sufficient.

Basically it relies on the good faith of the riders, it's not like there aren't ways to cheat on other events. Just remember the train ticket or petrol receipt is not a sensible proof of passage. ;)

alfapete:

--- Quote from: alwyn on 07 August, 2018, 10:14:54 pm ---Multiple secret controls, replacing the 4 info controls. That won't affect the routesheet though, unless I'm missing something.

--- End quote ---
:thumbsup:
When I mentioned routesheets I meant those without gps devices, but I'd misunderstood your intentions

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version