Author Topic: GBH  (Read 1447 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
GBH
« on: 07 June, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »
I've been watching GBH (originally broadcast 1991) on Channel 4 on demand. 

That Alan Bleasdale writes well.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Re: GBH
« Reply #1 on: 07 June, 2013, 06:00:58 pm »
Surely is. Watched Boys From The Blackstuff last week. Still very powerful after all these years.
Working my way up to inferior.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 07 June, 2013, 06:02:38 pm »
I've been watching GBH (originally broadcast 1991) on Channel 4 on demand. 

That Alan Bleasdale writes well.

Wasn't that the one in which Michael Palin was a head teacher and Robert Lindsay was Michael Murray?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2013, 06:07:35 pm »
Yup.
Working my way up to inferior.

« Reply #4 on: 07 June, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »
I was working as a builder's labourer in the summer holidays when the original 'Blackstuff' was screened. It struck a chord in the brew-cabin, as the characters were perfectly drawn. Bleasdale worked in the office of a blacktop company in Kirkby called Maktar. There are still remnants of his directorship details online.
GBH annoyed the hard-left, as it was based on Derek Hatton and the Militant Tendency.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #5 on: 07 June, 2013, 10:03:28 pm »
Jan and I have just watched the first episode. I can't believe that it was more than 20 years ago - but then again I can. Brilliant stuff.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2013, 12:51:54 am »
We have watched an episode a night for 4 nights. This is something like a record for me.

It didn't really occur to me before that this isn't really a play about politics, it's about madness.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2013, 06:05:50 pm »
Ah, Derek "Degsy" Hatton, who reinvented himself as an arch-capitalist and radio DJ.  Housewives' favourite, you see.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2013, 12:17:08 pm »
I watched (at the time) the original  Boys from the Blacksuff play, which was excellent, but never really got into the following series. Same with Londons Burning. 
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #9 on: 15 June, 2013, 08:07:42 pm »
Ah, Derek "Degsy" Hatton, who reinvented himself as an arch-capitalist and radio DJ. 
Re-invented himself? I always thought his politics were a convenient coat, & his true ideology was self-promotion.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897