Author Topic: to demonstrate the ElliptiGO as a viable machine for ultra-distance cycling?  (Read 2424 times)

I note that Idai and Alan are the guests of honour at the audax weekend in Preston according to their Facebook page.  barring the fact that Idai will have to cycle from Preston to York very quickly :) Does Idais ability to complete LEL make the Elliptigo a viable machine for ultra distance cycling?  My view would be that if Idai , clearly one of the fittest most determined blokes in the country struggled then it is not  a viable machine for ultra-distance cycling.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
viable
ˈvʌɪəb(ə)l
adjective
capable of working successfully; feasible

Totally meets the definition. 

The other finisher on an Elliptigo finished with some decent time in hand I believe? 

What does it matter anyway.  People can ride long-distances on whatever they fancy as long as it conforms with the rules.  It's the nutters that ride on them bikes with only one gear and no freewheel that I really worry about. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Can the treadles take SPDs?

If they can't, it might be a bit difficult treadling up some hills. Maximum bodyweight is maximum bodyweight and I for one have no luck pushing downward against fresh air.
Which IIRC, was the reason why the treadle tricycle and bicycle never seriously caught on in the 19th century.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Not being clipped in isn't really a problem. There are several studies showing that even professional racers rarely pull up on the pedals, even at maximum effort. Several folk, mostly USA-ian, ride brevets on flat pedals without problems. I've ridden longer than 200km a day on flat pedals.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
People can ride long-distances on whatever they fancy as long as it conforms with the rules. It's the nutters that ride on them bikes with only one gear and no freewheel that I really worry about.

Me too  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

...It's the nutters that ride on them bikes with only one gear and no freewheel that I really worry about.

Let's hope that doesn't come back to haunt you.

London Edinburgh London

to demonstrate the ElliptiGO as a viable machine for ultra-distance cycling?
« Reply #6 on: 15 November, 2013, 03:11:24 pm »
Idai didn't struggle because of his machine. He never pushed himself physically, was delayed for a day by a slower rider, and slept in four hours more than planned.

He may be fit, but had no experience of riding anywhere near the distance.

Most people doubted they'd get round, including me. But when I saw Alan on the way back, at Barnard Castle looking fresh, I knew they could do it.

Alan reported a hot-foot problem.

hillbilly

I'm holding out for a fixed wheel elliptiGO*.  Gears are for what Canadian Mayors eat in bed.

*lies

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Alan and Idai were together when they left Edinburgh control – that's on the video.  However, by the top of the climb out the other side of the valley at Gorebridge, Alan was nearly half a mile ahead of Idai when I passed both of them (slowly): Alan seemed stronger at climbing than Idai, although when I first rode with them 36 hours previously on the fens after Kirton, Idai seemed more eager on the flat (although both were way stronger than the third man and had to keep slowing down). 

Having followed them for a bit, Eilliptigoes don't climb particularly quickly (and neither do I).
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

simonp

It's the nutters that ride on them bikes with only one gear and no freewheel that I really worry about.

Join usssssss!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Alan reported a hot-foot problem.
Really?!?

If so, we really need him to join the next hot-foot discussion thread.  :thumbsup:

"Get pedals with a larger platform."
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

There were treadle bicycles before Starley's safety bicycle.

Which one is most popular and copied by every cycle manufacturer in the world? and then ask yourself why the world is not flooded with treadle bicycles?

Which one is most popular and copied by every cycle manufacturer in the world? and then ask yourself why the world is not flooded with treadle bicycles?

Without doubt the bicycle has been shown to be an incredibly versatile piece of machinery and has revolutionised the lives of many across the World.  I doubt whether the ElliptiGO will have the same effect.

But the question in the OP was "Does Idais ability to complete LEL make the Elliptigo a viable machine for ultra distance cycling?" and it was alluded that had it not been for the very fit nature of the riders then none of the 3 ElliptiGO machines would have completed.  As it was, 2 completed.  (Although what is meant by 'ultra distance cycling' is another question entirely!)

My belief is that if you want to have a go at completing audax events on such a machine then I have no objections as I don't object to all the other vehicles allowed to participate in audax events.  I personally would not choose to complete an event using an ElliptiGo and after chatting to Idai on Saturday after the AGM Dinner I believe that terrain makes a big difference as he acknowledges that hills are challenging and the total amount of climbing will effect an ElliptiGO rider more than a bicycle rider (all other things being equal) as there is a marked weight difference between the 2 machines.  So I doubt whether he would even consider either the nice little event in Scotland that is planned by Mark R or the nice little event in Wales planned by John H for 2014.

A Survey count of three is by no means enough to formulate an answer.

Just because three blokes survived after going over Niagara Falls in a barrel doesn’t make a barrel a viable means of transport to get from the top to the bottom of Niagara Falls.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
On our club run yesterday , our paths crossed with a sportive heading out from London. All heads down and hammering it as you'd expect, though some said hi....and yes, one ElliptiGO rider, towards the back of the field, but by no means the last [and we peeled off their route as other were still on-coming.]

A Survey count of three is by no means enough to formulate an answer.

Just because three blokes survived after going over Niagara Falls in a barrel doesn’t make a barrel a viable means of transport to get from the top to the bottom of Niagara Falls.

And I believe my final paragraph qualified my answer, namely that it appears an ElliptiGO is clearly a viable vehicle for some, but even someone who has demonstrated the viability accepts there are factors to be considered (ie terrain) that will determine whether a vehicle/machine is viable.

Of course, to qualify the question/more even more, we should consider whether or not the ElliptiGO is being considered for ultra long distance cycling under audax regulations or just for fun where time limits are not a constraint.

Actually, if 3 blokes survive the barrel analogy, then until someone dies it would appear a perfectly viable method for getting from the top to the bottom of Niagara Falls. 100% record on a small sample size accepted, but a larger sample size than used for testing survivability of a rail accident carrying nuclear waste or the full size crash testing of a 747.  Large rubber ball with 100% success for Niagara Falls, but again small sample size.  I would prefer the large rubber ball to a barrel if I ever considered it and I am 100% certain I will not!

http://www.niagarafallslive.com/daredevils_of_niagara_falls.htm

http://www.nflibrary.ca/ForAdults/LocalHistoryMaterials/StuntersDaredevils/tabid/135/Default.aspx

I was on the Essex sportive, the young man on the ElliptiGo shot past me, but then again everybody does on a sportive. Having seen the guys on LEL it was not a surprise to see him.

Said hello to every passing group, probably passed Tomsk somewhere. Only cut up once by a group rider when a car came the other way, and 400 metres from the finish a car drove at me on my side to turn into a commercial unit just in front of me, another rider talked me out of hitting him so I finished the ride and had a cup of tea.

Back to Audax on 8 December for a less stressful experience, I do get wound up when I see riders jump red lights and litter the road which is a feature of sportives.

Idai's talk went down well. I was sitting towards the front of the room, and he was holding the attention of the audience. The bits that interested me were concerned with the impact on the back. He said that those with arthritis reported less back pain. Whether the same effect can be achieved by a more upright position and a suspension seatpost is another question.