Author Topic: Correct way to eat Pineapple  (Read 2342 times)

Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Correct way to eat Pineapple
« Reply #1 on: 14 March, 2019, 10:34:11 am »
In the eighteenth century, pineapples were carved in stone and placed on gate posts or gables to show that whoever lived there was rich and sophisticated enough to know about this exotic, expensive fruit. This remains by far the best way to eat a pineapple.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 14 March, 2019, 10:53:25 am »
The prototype being the heads of your enemies on spikes.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #3 on: 14 March, 2019, 10:55:37 am »
If you want to be truly horrified, what till you learn that we eat bananas backwards. The monkeys do it right (of course).

I have always been puzzled by the western predilection for carving pineapples, having seen foreigns pull pineapples apart. That said, the easiest way to deal with pineapple to buy it ready sliced in a packet.

I'm always impressed by the chaps who linger by the roadside with a pile of coconuts (obvs also in the Foreigns). They deal with those coconuts using nothing other than a large machete and nonchalance. Also spouting coconuts, which frankly is the only coconut you should bother with.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #4 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:00:42 am »
Coconut water is wonderful on a hot day.

« Reply #5 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:02:30 am »
That said, the easiest way to deal with pineapple to buy it ready sliced chunked in a packet tin.
FTFY
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:18:25 am »
Coconut water is wonderful on a hot day.

I don't like coconut water. It's weird. Coconut milk is OK though.

But really, sprouting coconuts are where it's at. The middle turns into a tasty sponge-like loveliness (often called coconut bread). I've no idea how you'd get at it without a handy person with a machete to hand. It's what the Hawaiians called 'mana' and apparently only royalty were allowed to eat it. Which probably explains why you can't even get them in Waitrose.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2019, 11:39:46 am »
Don't think I've ever seen that. You need a green coconut for the water, and either a machete or just drill a hole in the eyes – a swiss army knife will do.

ian

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2019, 12:09:23 pm »
You can buy sprouting coconut by the roadside in the Carribean and the Hawaiian islands. In series of terrifying lops, they lop off the sprout and split it so you can scoop out the middle at your leisure.

It's a just green coconut that's been planted and left to germinate (takes several months). I suppose it might not taste so nice on a wet Wednesday in Croydon as it does on Saint Lucia.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2019, 11:37:42 pm »
If you want to be truly horrified, what till you learn that we eat bananas backwards. The monkeys do it right (of course)...

I keep telling my co-shirkers about this but they refuse to do it. It's like Darwin and the church all over again*  ::-)

*Not really

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: 17 March, 2019, 03:45:55 pm »
I read something the other day that the 'pulling pineapple' vid was likely to be of something called a snack pineapple
https://food52.com/blog/23918-pineapple-hack-viral-internet-trick
So it might not work as well with the pineapples we get.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hillbilly

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2019, 08:41:53 am »
"Pulling the pineapple" sounds like a vegan alternative to pounding the meat.

ian

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2019, 09:56:17 am »
I read something the other day that the 'pulling pineapple' vid was likely to be of something called a snack pineapple
https://food52.com/blog/23918-pineapple-hack-viral-internet-trick
So it might not work as well with the pineapples we get.

It works with any pineapples but they have to be properly ripe (which they rarely are over here, we obviously only get the varieties that survive the trip, so the one you've forgotten about for four months). This does make it a messy pastime. I let a grown-up deal with my pineapples and put them in a nice packet.