Author Topic: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019  (Read 42907 times)

the straggler

• ACME Award Recipient & ROTY 2021
Re: Windsor Chester Windsor 2019
« Reply #275 on: 04 June, 2019, 12:16:10 am »
Good to see you at the finish Phil, looking revitalized and in good spirits despite enduring heat and re-hydration problems.

I also do not take too well in hot/humid conditions and find that keeping my drinks as simple as possible works for me. ie either keep to squash or plain water. One event resulted in a DNF as I was made a mistake in adding electrolyte tablet into a bottle already containing orange juice and water. I ended up feeling bloated and  loosing all appetite to consume solid food for the next controls.

This being my 1st WCW, this event certainly surprised me both in terms of the challenging terrain (in a positive way); and the wide range in choice of food and drinks offered and quality of the catering at the control rest stops were just FAB.  :thumbsup: At the moment, I will find difficulty to suggest any improvement that can be made for next edition.

CCS - Setting the Standards

Phil W

« Reply #276 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:50:10 am »
Cheers Strangler, you were out with the faires on that mattress before you drove home.  Not even tables being collapsed and put away  woke you up.

Phil W

« Reply #277 on: 04 June, 2019, 05:56:14 pm »
War and peace write up in spoiler
TLDR; Tough day at the office, hot, then wet with lumps in the middle.... SR & PBP qualifications completed 1.5hrs sleep, 38 hours elapsed.
(click to show/hide)

Good read.  You could see the poppy field going north with migrating snails for company. Lovely wasn't it?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #278 on: 04 June, 2019, 06:10:53 pm »
TLDR; Tough day at the office, hot, then wet with lumps in the middle.... SR & PBP qualifications completed 1.5hrs sleep, 38 hours elapsed.
(click to show/hide)

Good read.  You could see the poppy field going north with migrating snails for company. Lovely wasn't it?

Yep - that reminds me there were quite a few snails and also frog out on the night section... I'd forgotten about that!
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #279 on: 04 June, 2019, 08:34:00 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Yep - that reminds me there were quite a few snails and also frog out on the night section... I'd forgotten about that!

Spotted a hare and a baby weasel/stoat south of Charlbury, not in the same place of course!
Reine de la Fauche

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #280 on: 04 June, 2019, 09:05:05 pm »
Spotted a hare and a baby weasel/stoat south of Charlbury, not in the same place of course!

Who knows how to tell them apart?........  ;) ;) ;)
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #281 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:02:55 pm »
Hi there
I am not a regular on here (only 2 previous posts, 1 in 2018 & 1 in 2015), however I MUST thank Danial and ALL the volunteers for another brilliant WCW event.
I can't really fault anything except the portion sizes were too large! so I always asked for a child's portion.
All the home-made food was particularly welcome and the catering for us veggies was excellent....especially the carrot and lentil soup for breakfast, an usual choice but it really worked for me.
As fellow Dulwich Paragon rider Mark G has recalled we had an incident with his rear wheel, resolved very quickly by a local cyclist, and all in all it was one of my favorite rides, except for the infamous Drovers Hill.....wasn't WCW 2015 easier?
Or is it just that I am 4 years older? plus my memory has gone!
Adrian
PS Phil sorry to hear of your DNF, and good luck with other qualies....I think I last saw you in Buntingford?

Phil W

« Reply #282 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:27:49 pm »
Yes Buntingford last year as you returned on the ACME Grande.

Dover Hill was there in 2015 but the control was Weston Sub Edge right at the bottom, so we all tackled it after a break and some refreshment.  But yes four years does seem to have robbed us of some zest , though it wasn't hot in 15.

Anyway will now be back out in a little over 2.5 weeks to grab that final qualifying 600.  Of course it will snow now I am building my heat stratagem for it.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #283 on: 04 June, 2019, 10:43:00 pm »
Dover Hill was there in 2015 but the control was Weston Sub Edge right at the bottom, so we all tackled it after a break and some refreshment.  But yes four years does seem to have robbed us of some zest , though it wasn't hot in 15.

In 2015 we approached, and left, Western sub Edge slightly differently as we headed to the eastern side of Chipping Campden like so: https://goo.gl/maps/pXhp6o8HcqQvufhVA

I realise this still has some climbing but looking at the OS map it wasn't as bad: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=413413&Y=240574&A=Y&Z=120

There was actually very little overlap between the 2015 and 2019 route until we reached Western Sub Edge
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

Phil W

« Reply #284 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:19:01 pm »
Ah so we went a little further and turned up the B road last time?  So 90m vs. 130m of ascent? 44% more value in 2019!

« Reply #285 on: 04 June, 2019, 11:47:46 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that Adam, I thought that Dovers Hill wasn't on the 2015 route
I'm pleased that  my memory was correct, mind you I was so exhausted at the top of Dovers Hill this year that I had a brief look at the beautiful meadows there. An added bonus before I carried on.

« Reply #286 on: 05 June, 2019, 10:11:58 am »
I did a blog about this: https://audaxnerd.co.uk/post/185380552673/chilli-sausage-chilli-aka

tl;dr: great event, I had no real mishaps and got round fine really. SR and PBP qualification in the bag. Thanks to all the volunteers!

S2L

« Reply #287 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:27:45 am »
I did a blog about this: https://audaxnerd.co.uk/post/185380552673/chilli-sausage-chilli-aka

tl;dr: great event, I had no real mishaps and got round fine really. SR and PBP qualification in the bag. Thanks to all the volunteers!

Glad you enjoyed my bread pudding...  :thumbsup:

PS: if you want to volunteer, Manotea is looking for help in another thread on here

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #288 on: 05 June, 2019, 11:41:46 am »
Great report, congrats on completing!
despite my co-controller keeping you talking for hours at breakfast after you woke up   ;)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #289 on: 05 June, 2019, 06:18:13 pm »

Who knows how to tell them apart?........  ;) ;) ;)
I can't resist such an open goal:

A weasel is weasily recognised and a stoat is stoatally different!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Phil W

« Reply #290 on: 05 June, 2019, 06:32:37 pm »
My journey to PBP 19

A backup 600 now arranged for 2.5 weeks time. Wish me luck.

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #291 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:41:56 pm »
Good luck Phil!  :thumbsup:

« Reply #292 on: 05 June, 2019, 08:43:39 pm »
Good luck Phil, I reckon you'll make it up that unforeseen extra climb!

« Reply #293 on: 06 June, 2019, 05:58:21 pm »

'Ferreted' out from your book of classic gags?  8)

« Reply #294 on: 06 June, 2019, 06:06:17 pm »
Well done everyone, volunteers and food at the ontrols were excellent, although with a start/finish in Bray I wonder if The Fat Duck or The Waterside might have added a touch of class as an Arrivee ?😁
Superb event.

Wondered why you didn't stop when you checked in. Were you off to a booked table at the Fat Duck?

Sorry Phil, would have said hello if I'd seen you, but was in a bit of hurry to get home and prep a work meeting I had on Monday. A shame really, it's always nice to have a coffee and chat at the end of a ride, sharing tales of 'derring-do', mechanicals and steep hills. Good luck in your replacement 600 mate.

αdαmsκι

« Reply #295 on: 06 June, 2019, 08:17:00 pm »

I can't resist such an open goal:

Good lad. ;D

« Reply #296 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:05:36 am »
And the other mustalids. One can't be minkstaken for the others and another is otterly different as well..... Sorry

« Reply #297 on: 07 June, 2019, 09:25:54 am »
also frog out on the night section... I'd forgotten about that!

On the LHS of the road, right where you'd be riding? I saw one that was riskin' a squishin'

#shouldabeenwearinghivizandhelmet

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #298 on: 07 June, 2019, 10:32:21 am »
also frog out on the night section... I'd forgotten about that!

On the LHS of the road, right where you'd be riding? I saw one that was riskin' a squishin'

#shouldabeenwearinghivizandhelmet
Obviously missed the toad safety training/not following the green cross toad.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #299 on: 07 June, 2019, 02:00:46 pm »
My journey to PBP 19
A backup 600 now arranged for 2.5 weeks time. Wish me luck.

Not the one with the postal finish I trust.  (== 2 weeks delay in results)
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll