Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718465 times)

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #826 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:56:51 pm »
ROFL

<books overtime for Wednesday night to avoid the scary man>

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #827 on: 22 March, 2010, 08:59:46 pm »
What time should the Witham chapter set off? And from where?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #828 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:05:35 pm »
As usual, I will be constrained by trains to setting off at ~19:15 from Witham station, after changing into my Gimp-suit on the train home :)

« Reply #829 on: 22 March, 2010, 09:15:22 pm »

I've got a half inch discrepancy I need to address ready for the carpenter Thursday morning so will probably not be along  

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #830 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:10:29 pm »
BBC Weather | Maldon

Still shows heavy rain, but minimum night-time temp of 11C.

Since that is double figures, can we expect an additional attendee? ;)

And I'll be at home. WARM!!

Feel free to call me when the temperature (in Celcius) gets into double figures.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #831 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:14:23 pm »
As usual, I will be constrained by trains to setting off at ~19:15 from Witham station, after changing into my Gimp-suit on the train home :)

Sooo, I meet you at the station at 1915 we can set off for the PoW?  Is this OK?  If so I will prepare a route.

Nutty - it's going to take us about an hour or so, so we will be at the pub at 2000 to 2030.  This OK with you?

This may be my first opportunity to wear my denim Rainlegs  :thumbsup:

« Reply #832 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:19:05 pm »
I know this is bad form, considering that you are making the effort to head South of the A12, but I can't commit to being there and have a nasty suspicion that it's all going to go wrong here and I'll end up not getting out  >:(

The only bike on the road at the moment is Frankenfixie... and as I'm having to retension the chain every 7 miles I really don't fancy riding over to Stow Maries on unlit roads with just a feeble cateye.

Therefore, I think that I'll say I'll be staying home this time.   Sorry lads.   But I don't want you making that effort and then me not making it.

I will try and make one of these soon.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #833 on: 23 March, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
I know this is bad form, considering that you are making the effort to head South of the A12, but I can't commit to being there and have a nasty suspicion that it's all going to go wrong here and I'll end up not getting out  >:(

The only bike on the road at the moment is Frankenfixie... and as I'm having to retension the chain every 7 miles I really don't fancy riding over to Stow Maries on unlit roads with just a feeble cateye.

Therefore, I think that I'll say I'll be staying home this time.   Sorry lads.   But I don't want you making that effort and then me not making it.

No worries.

I that case, Plan B - The Willows, Cressing via a scenic route???

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #834 on: 23 March, 2010, 01:44:28 pm »

No worries.

I that case, Plan B - The Willows, Cressing via a scenic route???

Works for me too.  19:15 at Witham.  Destination: pub ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #835 on: 23 March, 2010, 02:21:15 pm »
I have taken the liberty of creating a route which thanks to newly acquired IT skills I can share with you all.  Please feedback accordingly.

If the weather is inclement I still plan to wear my new denim Rainlegs with my even newer 3/4 length trousers cos it's now the summer.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #836 on: 23 March, 2010, 03:26:54 pm »
^^^ Oh, by the way, I've got new pants as well.

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #837 on: 23 March, 2010, 03:38:52 pm »
The Willows it is then, ok?
Having had the sunniest, warmest ride for 6 months ['End of Hibernation' 200km - lunch and afternoon tea outside!] last Sunday, its bound to rain tomorrow night. Beats snow/sleet/ice though.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #838 on: 23 March, 2010, 03:53:47 pm »
Having had the sunniest, warmest ride for 6 months ['End of Hibernation' 200km - lunch and afternoon tea outside!] last Sunday, its bound to rain tomorrow night. Beats snow/sleet/ice though.

Groovy.  Do you wanna meet us at Witham station or at the pub? 

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #839 on: 23 March, 2010, 04:20:56 pm »
^^^ Oh, by the way, I've got new pants as well.

TMI

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #840 on: 24 March, 2010, 08:43:08 am »

Groovy.  Do you wanna meet us at Witham station or at the pub? 
I'll head straight to the pub, as I can't leave home before about 7pm. I need to get out, as have been stuck with poorly #2 son for the past couple of days [no, I should say  looking after sympathetically!]

Oscar's dad

« Reply #841 on: 24 March, 2010, 09:13:30 am »
^^^  Smashing, we'll see you there  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #842 on: 24 March, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »
Weather is now only showing light rain! :):)  :thumbsup:

BBC Weather | Maldon

Oscar's dad

« Reply #843 on: 24 March, 2010, 01:10:50 pm »
Weather is now only showing light rain! :):)  :thumbsup:

BBC Weather | Maldon

Bugger.  I really, really want to try out the denim Rainlegs.  This reminds me of when I got my posh and very expensive waterproof trousers.  It was forking months before they got christened  >:(

« Reply #844 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »
Plenty of rain around the Chelmsford area this evening, how did the ride go?*

*Did O.D wear trousers :o

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #845 on: 24 March, 2010, 11:51:27 pm »
Just got back in.

Had a few Adnam'ses and Speckled Henses :)  Several Maltesers and crisps and half a pickled egg.

Didn't really get too wet ... tiny spots on the way out, a bit heavier on the way home but not really properly rainy, still just spotty.  Tomsk may have got a bit wetter since he must've been heading into it on his route home.

A very nice route over quite lanes, dreamt up by our esteemed colleague OD.  Tomsk arrived shortly after us.  The pub landlady (I assume) rushed outside to offer the backyard for bike parking (although the landlord hadn't been told so came round to investigate the clanking as we chained bikes to his empty barrels!

Great fun.  We also met a very enthusiastic, if slightly merry1, cycling local.

A grand night out.  :thumbsup:

1. I believe we had the same conversation three, possibly four times.  ;)

Oscar's dad

« Reply #846 on: 25 March, 2010, 07:54:58 am »
A smashing evening - thanks chaps  :thumbsup: 

We nearly took out a large hare the size of Tigger our biggest cat as it shot across the road under our wheels.  And yet again the Hope 1 effect was very much in evidence.  Two car drivers stopped to let us past on single track lanes, one even reversed back to a passing place.  Two Hopes set to "STUN" really does cause your average motorist to think "What the fork is that coming towards me???"

Unfortunately an annoying lack of rain meant I still haven't worn my fake denim Rainlegs  :'(

Oscar's dad

« Reply #847 on: 29 March, 2010, 08:31:11 am »
I have received this from Joss, genial host of The Compasses at Littley Green ...

Hello everyone,

After a dark and depressing winter, with not much to cheer about; and to celebrate the clocks going forward and the start of spring (hopefully), I've finally got round to sending out an email to the "Compasses Cycling Club"!

The idea at the moment is to do 2 organised rides a week, one on a Wednesday evening and one on a Sunday morning.  The rides will leave the Compasses at 7pm on Wednesdays and 9am on Sundays.  At the moment we'll just see what people want to do when they get here, but I'm thinking it will be an hour or so on Wednesdays and a couple of hours on Sundays.  I'll provide tea and coffee in the pub afterwards, and if it takes off, there might be other treats!

So, we start this Wednesday!  The weather is supposed to be awful next week, but I hope that won't put off the hardened riders who've struggled through the winter.  I'm assuming that everyone is going to be of different standards and want to do different things, but if we keep it nice and relaxed and social to start off with, we'll see where it takes us.

Hopefully see you on Wednesday then.

All the best

Joss

I'm sure we can join his merry band on the occasional Wednesday evening.

By the way, I'm not around this Wednesday.  I am compelled to attend the company lash up  >:(

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #848 on: 29 March, 2010, 03:27:07 pm »
I got Joss's mail this morning  :thumbsup: -- I will almost certainly not be able to make it in time for the Compasses Wed evening rides, but will try and make it along to the occasional Sunday jaunt (although not the next two as I'll be away).

The MEMWNS this Weds is scheduled to be to the Prince of Wales, Stow Maries.  They have a lovely selection of ales on at the moment, and an intriguing jar of pickled eggs on the bar.

When I was there on Sunday two separate people were chatting to me about cycling matters - including one whose opening words were "shouldn't you be watching the world championships?"  :thumbsup:  :)

« Reply #849 on: 29 March, 2010, 06:47:40 pm »
I'll be heading over to the Compasses this Wednesday evening to give support for their first event  O:-)

Hopefully weather will be dry :thumbsup: