Author Topic: Mid-Essex Mid-Week Nocturnal Series  (Read 1718865 times)

Re: Mid-Essex Mid Week Nocturnal Series
« Reply #1125 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:09:00 pm »
Someone wasn't paying attention.
I wasn't aware we were to be tested. I'll take notes next time.   ;D

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #1126 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:11:47 pm »
Someone wasn't paying attention.
I wasn't aware we were to be tested. I'll take notes next time.   ;D

Once a teacher, always a teacher  ;D

"And sit up at the back!!!"

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1127 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:20:00 pm »
And, wowbagger pressed his tool back into service just as I was about to try it in my holes.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1128 on: 24 June, 2010, 01:52:01 pm »
Isn't Helen's German flag umop 3p!sdn?
Getting there...

« Reply #1129 on: 24 June, 2010, 02:18:42 pm »
Isn't Helen's German flag umop 3p!sdn?
Wiki shows it as black on top. Perhaps she's in distress?

No she's in de 3/4 shorts!  ;D

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1130 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »
Oo-er, you're right - black on top. Argh! And it took ages to get the flag on the flagpole as the pole was just a fraction too wide.

Well I had a very enjoyable day yesterday. After various fights with my cassette to try to stop the machine-gun like rattle in gears 5-9, I gave up, did some work with the football on in the background and then chucked the trike in the car and set off for Castle Hedingham.

A slight lack of pre-preparation meant I couldn't remember which pub we were going to. The first one that I came across, The Wheatsheaf, had a full car park so I dumped the car on the road opposite the other pub. Being dim I didn't notice the other pub had a large car park with lots of spaces. D'oh.

So I set off heading for the Dolphin at Bradwell with my machine-gun sound effects most of the time. The route was surprisingly rolling (in that I live in Essex too, and it's flat where I live). I had a nasty moment going up a single track road when I could hear a car whizzing towards me round a blind corner but the edges of the road were too high for me to get out of the way. I resorted to shouting 'STOP!' when I heard the car almost upon me. It came round a corner and did an emergency stop which threw up clouds of sand and gravel. Fortunately it was a mini so we could squeeze past each other. The drive said 'Awright love' to me, which I suppose was a semi apology. I resolved to make sure I was behind a couple of other cyclists when returning.

I arrived at the Dolphin and realised Wow and Del weren't there yet so I headed southwards to meet them on the road. I passed a pair of white knickers beside the road in Cressing, which was a bit random. after two and a half miles Wow and Del hove into view so I did a five point turn and off we went, back to the Dolphin.

The Dolphin was a surprisingly decent pub considering the busy road it was beside. We sat in the beer garden out the back which was still a bit noisy. We had burger and chips for dinner and Del insisted on taking lots of photos; as I am exceptionally unphotogenic I'm not entirely surprised they haven't appeared upthread.

Oscar's Dad and Oaky arrived in due course and had a beer. There was lots of discussion about Tomsk with his ability to eat anyone out of house and home, and then we thought we really ought to set off to see him at the pub in Castle Hedingham. Unfortunately Wow had achieved a puncture during the stop so he had to fix it. We were all supremely unhelpful and just faffed around, with Oscar's Dad taking my trike for an extended spin which left me wondering whether I'd have to ride back to Castle Hedingham on his Dribble. He reappeared, florid of face but clearly having enjoying his triking, despite the noisy gears.

Wow's tyre was fixed pretty quickly and we set off again into the gathering gloom. I had had a rather disorganised exit from home which meant I didn't have my glasses for driving home, nor my lights. Oaky was able to lend me a flashing rear light and I had a tiny front light on the trike which was enough to make me visible. Off we went, wending our way along the country lanes, passing a Little Owl sitting on a stump.

When we arrived at the pub at Castle Hedingham Tomsk was already there, as was Oscar's Dad who'd whizzed ahead in order to get some Maldon Gold before it ran out. I stuck my bike in the car and then, disappointed to discover there was no tea, had an orange juice before a pint of water.

We set off at about 11pm, me homeward by car, the rest by bike. I was pleased to hear that Germany had won their football game too and will very much look forward to the England v Germany game as I don't mind who wins. I must put the flag the right way up on the bike though...

My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1131 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:17:16 pm »
Sorry, Helen!  I didn't mean to cause a load of frustrating re-fettling to put it right.  I was just curious... :-[

EDIT: 'Course, if you pull an awesome backflip from a quarterpipe, it'll be right while the trike is inverted.  Job done. :)
Getting there...

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1132 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:32:04 pm »
Trike's looking a bit forlorn at the moment.

Front offside wheel is at the local bike shop being rebuilt.

Rear wheel is on its way to ICE courtesy of Royal Mail as they want to look at why my cassette is rattling (the lbs had a look today and couldn't work out why it wouldn't hold together properly).

So I have a Unicycle...
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

« Reply #1133 on: 24 June, 2010, 03:40:45 pm »
Not photogenic?

Yes, I see what you mean.  ::-)

« Reply #1134 on: 26 June, 2010, 10:33:43 am »
The Chelmsford Beer Festival is coming up soon - 13th to the 17th July.

CAMRA site

I haven't seen you lot for ages, so if you fancy coming along one evening, you'll find me there  :P

Edit: It's pretty big these days and held in Admirals Park. Last year was very good. It's come a long way since it was held in the now flattened SU bar and had me throwing up on some random bloke's shoes which resulted in him trying to strangle me!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1135 on: 26 June, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »
Beer festivals [shudder], I've never been good at beer festivals.

However, if I was particularly brave I could make it on Wednesday 14th.  What about the rest of the gang?

Oh dear.

« Reply #1136 on: 27 June, 2010, 11:08:38 pm »

However, if I was particularly brave I could make it on Wednesday 14th.  What about the rest of the gang?

Oh dear.

Yes!  though I'm not sure I fancy being strangled for an indiscrete tactical chunder  :P

I think I've just about recovered from the last ride to the Walnut tree at Broad's Green but according to the list it is on again for Wednesday.  More of the same I say  :thumbsup:

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1137 on: 27 June, 2010, 11:33:49 pm »

Oh dear.

Yes!  though I'm not sure I fancy being strangled for an indiscrete tactical chunder  :P

I think I've just about recovered from the last ride to the Walnut tree at Broad's Green but according to the list it is on again for Wednesday.  More of the same I say  :thumbsup:

Absolutely - 19:00 at Chelmsford station, cheeky half (or thereabouts ;)) at the Pig and Whistle (ranting optional) before carrying on towards the Walnut Tree, to meet up with OD's "gently guided ride" from Witham which just so happens to be going there too!).

:thumbsup:

« Reply #1138 on: 27 June, 2010, 11:42:31 pm »
It has good plan written all over it  :D

« Reply #1139 on: 27 June, 2010, 11:46:22 pm »
Well as it happens I should be in Gt Dunmow on Wednesday evening, having just completed one of Mr Tomsk's fine perms. A hop and a skip would get me to Chelmsford or I could meet y'all en route.

We Shall See.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #1140 on: 28 June, 2010, 08:55:42 am »
I'm a 'no' for this Wednesday, due to going to Basildon by car to choose the new puppy.

One of these two sweeties, as it happens:

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1141 on: 28 June, 2010, 08:58:05 am »
Blimey, a couple of dogs from Basildon that are both cute and desirable!  There's a first  ;D

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1142 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:13:16 am »
A few things to bear in mind for Wednesday night.

1.  On the last MEMWNS, a change to the regulations was agreed:  In Sec. 4, subsec 2.1, after the words "with a root vegetable, no shorter than 6 inches in length." the following should be added: "Any participant who attempts to ride the MEMWNS on a bike (or trike etc.) which does not exhibit a creak, tick, rattle or other extraneous noise will have one added.".

2.  Oscar's dad will be running his "Gently guided ride" from Witham, converging on the Walnut Tree.  He will therefore a) be dressed as a traffic cone and b) will be in full-on "pillock pillar of the community" mode.  He may need to disown us if we get too lary.

In respect of "2.", I'm not sure what OD's guided route back to Witham will be, so don't know whether a cheeky snifter at the Rose and Crown is on the cards or not.  This may mean that I won't get to play with my pork puppet, though.  :-\

Oscar's dad

« Reply #1143 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:43:50 am »
Greetings dear friends,

My route from Witham to The Walnut Tree is HERE.  I plan to return using the same route.  I won't be staying until closing time as I have told the poor unsuspecting unfortunates that may or may not turn up that we shall be back in Witham by 11pm.

I have news regarding my traffic cone outfit official ride leader attire.  My much admired hi-vis jacket has been upgraded by my Sainted Mother TM.  She informs me that the upgrade process has been successfully completed and said hi-vis jacket survived the anesthetic.  Said hi-vis jacket is in the post and will hopefully be back in Witham ready for Wednesday night.  I am very excited  ;D

bloomers100

• ACME's Head of Sexual Health and Family Planning
« Reply #1144 on: 28 June, 2010, 10:05:58 pm »
Nice puppies!

I'll swing by hopefully, I'll find you.

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1145 on: 29 June, 2010, 12:33:56 am »
Nice puppies!

Brings to mind a quote I remember from somewhere... "If those puppies are for sale, I'll have the one with the pink nose."

I'll swing by hopefully, I'll find you.

Cool!  A proper reprise. I might have to go the extra mile and exhibit the old pork puppet in that case.

BTW - you were talked about tonight!

bloomers100

« Reply #1146 on: 29 June, 2010, 07:11:31 am »
Where and by whom pray tell?

Oaky

• Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #1147 on: 29 June, 2010, 10:40:07 am »
Where and by whom pray tell?

I met up with chief last night at the Square and Compasses and he'd mentioned you led him astray at the Compasses last week.  ;)

bloomers100

« Reply #1148 on: 29 June, 2010, 01:15:56 pm »
All true.

;D

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #1149 on: 29 June, 2010, 07:31:43 pm »
    Had hoped to be coming along tomorrow, but duty calls [helping at Cubs - orienteering in Hatfield Forest.] Have a good one and make sure the new recruits get their pickled eggs :thumbsup:.