Author Topic: Morris Audaxes, Sept 9th 2023, start near Lechlade  (Read 10455 times)

alfapete

• Oh dear
Morris Audaxes, Sept 9th 2023, start near Lechlade
« on: 23 July, 2019, 10:04:11 am »
My first foray into organising commences with a 100 and a 200 on September 14th starting from Kelmscott near Lechlade.

Both events begin with a traverse of the Cotswolds on minor roads through scenic villages. At Snowshill the Morris Minor riders return via Bourton on the Water whilst the Morris Major route continues over flatter terrain to Hanbury Hall near Droitwich before heading back around the northern side of Stratford and then back over the Cotswolds.

The recommended route on the Major comes in at 230km (minimum 210km) which may deter some - that's a lesson I've learnt in organising.

There is one info control on the 100km event, two on the 200km. Cake and tea/coffee provided at Snowshill and commercial controls elsewhere.

Entries are coming in steadily but due to limited parking (another lesson learnt) I will have to limit the entry at some point. No entries on the line.

Links to the entry pages can be found on the website: https://morrisaudax.weebly.com/
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: New Event: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:02:53 pm »
due to limited parking (another lesson learnt) I will have to limit the entry at some point.

That seems ...suboptimal.  Is this a common limiting factor?  Should there be a mechanism for allowing entries only when accompanied by (in the absence of any other reasonable proof of not coming by car) an ECE?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:45:26 pm »
It's a beautiful area, at least the first part – I'm not so familiar with it nearer Droitwich. And it sounds like they'll probably include some testing climbs but come in not ridiculously hilly overall.

As for parking and the ECE idea, it's probably a bit much to expect riders on a 100, who might after all be doing their first audax and quite likely not be AUK members, to ECE. It's a shame the Kemble to Cirencester railway line no longer exists, the platform is still there at Kemble, but...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2019, 12:52:58 pm »
It's a beautiful area, at least the first part – I'm not so familiar with it nearer Droitwich. And it sounds like they'll probably include some testing climbs but come in not ridiculously hilly overall.

Can vouch for the second part being lumpy but good.

As for parking and the ECE idea, it's probably a bit much to expect riders on a 100, who might after all be doing their first audax and quite likely not be AUK members, to ECE.

Well yes, but 100s are ripe for ECEing by seasoned audaxers.  That's the beauty of ECEs.

Just seems a bit of a shame to have to close entries because of car parking.  Though I say that as someone who wouldn't be able to get to Kelmscott other than by bicycle.  (I'll probably be FNRttCing, so it's academic anyway.)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2019, 01:01:30 pm »
Kelmscott is the only place I've ever stopped riding mid-audax (it was a DIY) to watch a steamroller trundle past. Very noisy, as much from the iron roller as the steam engine, but quite an impressive site (and even slower than me).
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

S2L

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2019, 02:26:46 pm »
There is nothing wrong in a 230 km audax, but given it is described as 200, the time allowed is that of a 200 and not that for a 230... which would allow a whopping extra 2 hours to complete at BR pace... I think it should be amended if you aim to attract more riders...

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2019, 03:24:53 pm »
Why is it listed as only 200 on Aukweb? (Other events have the true minimum distance with the corresponding time limit.)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2019, 04:28:14 pm »
The recommended route on the Major comes in at 230km (minimum 210km) which may deter some - that's a lesson I've learnt in organising.

Time allowed will be for 210km. The recommended route is prettier and avoids main roads, but you pays your money and you takes your choice.

StephenR

• Boooom Blast & Ruin
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2019, 06:21:27 pm »
Would like to ride this as it starts 12km from home. Unfortunately still recovering from being knocked off my bike. Have been cycling again but may need surgery soon so can’t commit to any rides.
Looks like a good route and hope it goes well.
The land at the end of our toes it goes on and on and on and on

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #9 on: 29 August, 2019, 06:58:43 am »
Shameless bump for my new events on September 14th. Entries are coming in steadily but there's still room for a few more.
The closing date is September 6th and I won't be accepting entries on the line.

A lovely traverse of the Cotswolds and a great if slightly challenging introduction to audax for newcomers on the 100km: exceptional village hall, home made cakes, a few hills, country lane route, experience an info control, a manned control, a commercial control and a reasonably flat run in to the finish when the muscles begin to tire. The 200 has a recommended route of 230km so a last chance to take advantage of the longer days before autumn arrives.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #10 on: 05 September, 2019, 07:39:37 pm »
Routesheets and .gpx sent out this evening and yesterday for these. If you've entered and haven't received them please check your spam folders. Closing date TOMORROW: could accomodate just a couple more...

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #11 on: 05 September, 2019, 10:39:54 pm »
I'll take one of those  :thumbsup:

Have entered the 100, looking forward to a beautiful day in the Cotswolds. Not an area I know that well so will enjoy this

Thanks

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #12 on: 06 September, 2019, 06:44:02 am »
I'll take one of those  :thumbsup:

Have entered the 100, looking forward to a beautiful day in the Cotswolds. Not an area I know that well so will enjoy this

Thanks

Info sent out this morning

« Reply #13 on: 06 September, 2019, 01:02:20 pm »
Looking forward to this new event which is relatively close to home. I plan to cycle to/from start/end alphapete (if that helps you to free up another space). :)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 06 September, 2019, 02:02:00 pm »
Traffic note.

Overnight (1900 to 0700) road closures A361 through Lechlade (Oak Street) from the roundabout north of town to the traffic lights in the centre from this evening until about the 20th.

I think weekends are excluded so it shouldn't cause issues for late finishers travelling home via Lechlade, but they'll be road planing so the road surface is likely to be unpleasant if you're cycling to/from the event.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #15 on: 07 September, 2019, 03:49:34 pm »

« Reply #16 on: 31 August, 2021, 01:44:23 pm »
Running again on 11th Sept, I've entered the Morris Minor + ECE from home to round it up for a nice day out  :thumbsup:

All being well, this will start my return to regular riding & audaxing  :thumbsup:

Hope you've ordered the obligatory nice weather  :smug:

« Reply #17 on: 31 August, 2021, 02:27:16 pm »
I'm entered too, but I've only just realised it's 230k not 200, and it also clashes with a David Rodigan gig in the evening so I think I will start from home and peel off early.

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #18 on: 31 August, 2021, 03:28:23 pm »
..... I've only just realised it's 230k not 200,

Just a shade over 220km in this year's version (the foray to Hanbury Hall wasn't altogether succesful).

I have a test of the Arrivee food for tea tonight. Cakes aplenty.

A few places left on both events, entries close on Monday.

« Reply #19 on: 31 August, 2021, 03:33:01 pm »

I've talked one non-AUK into entering the 100, still working on 2 others  :thumbsup:

« Reply #20 on: 31 August, 2021, 04:25:16 pm »
..... I've only just realised it's 230k not 200,

Just a shade over 220km in this year's version (the foray to Hanbury Hall wasn't altogether succesful).

I have a test of the Arrivee food for tea tonight. Cakes aplenty.

:thumbsup: Will probably ride from home (Stroud) to start, do a shortened loop then peel off early home. Will make you aware on day though. 

Re: Morris Audaxes, start near Lechlade
« Reply #21 on: 01 September, 2021, 08:57:29 am »
Trying to enter the Minor as an ECE from home. I've never been through this process before, but the site seems to just take me round in an endless loop.

Any tips?

« Reply #22 on: 01 September, 2021, 12:26:09 pm »
Trying to enter the Minor as an ECE from home. I've never been through this process before, but the site seems to just take me round in an endless loop.

Any tips?

@Peat, I think I did it in this order:

1) Entered the ride as usual
2) Revisit the Event page & clicked "Extend Calendar Event" - fill in that form, inc uploading a zip of GPX files for both inward & homeward legs
3) Back from the main website, clicked "Choose a ride", "Extended Calendar Events" - from there you can purchase a brevet for the ECE (there is a link on the ECE form for that too - but paypal wasn't working for me at via that link for some reason, so I did it through the main menu this time)

HTH - I can try to explain clearer if that's confusing :)

Cheers,
Bobby

« Reply #23 on: 01 September, 2021, 01:54:58 pm »
Thanks Bobby,

1) Done
2) doesn't take me to a form, just a placeholder on the legacy site

The same page appears if I try to purchase a Brevet.
Obviously there is no option to enter my mem number etc.

I also noticed amore conffusing wording in the ECE Info "To set up an ECE ride, you'll need to enter the Calendar Events as normal and then enter an ECE Perm."

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with having had the event saved as a 'Maybe' on my list. I have entered now, and another event in November and neither have moved from being 'Maybes' to booked rides.

Never ECE'ed before. Inclined not to bother, riding the bike is worth more to me than points.

Peat

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #24 on: 01 September, 2021, 04:45:54 pm »
You can buy your ECE perm entry here: https://aukweb.net/forms/diycards.php?action=login&isece=y

I'd then just ping Martin an email with your planned route.

I've not done loads of ECEs but have been using the process for over a decade and Martin's always been very easy to deal with when setting up rides.

What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/