Author Topic: What cycling cap?  (Read 23566 times)

LEE

Re: What cycling cap?
« Reply #50 on: 03 July, 2012, 05:12:09 pm »

(*Or use a buff; but they don't really cut it in proper cold weather, and are also over-priced!)

Here's a demonstration of one of the many varied ways you can wear a Buff.

Not sure who the model is.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 03 July, 2012, 07:20:46 pm »
Did i say over-priced? Such elegance is clearly priceless.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

« Reply #52 on: 03 July, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »
Did i say over-priced? Such elegance is clearly priceless.

We'd cycled a long way...we were tired.

« Reply #53 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:42:03 pm »
I'd have never guessed that was a buff. Looks like a pair of old Y fronts to me.

Has anyone tried an old pair of Y fronts as a cycling hat? If so, were they any good?

« Reply #54 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:44:08 pm »
What this thread really needs is that photo of Mc Nasty and his free heagear he got when he bought a loaf of bread.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 05 July, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »
Has anyone tried an old pair of Y fronts as a cycling hat? If so, were they any good?

Not really.  The Y-fronts work fine, but the traditional accompaniment of a pair of pencils up your nose tends to interfere with your aerobic performance.

Wibble.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #56 on: 08 July, 2012, 09:01:48 pm »
Those Walz caps don't look right to me.

The peak does point down quiet sharply, which works well for keeping flies and stuff out of my glasses in a recumbent position.  I've yet to try it on an upright bike, though.  Suspect it may prove to be annoying...

Tried that today, in a mixture of moderate sun and heavy rain.  Pulled down, the peak does a reasonable job of keeping water off my glasses, at least in the middle, but it does mean you have to keep craning your neck to see more than the bit of road in front of you.  Those with less upright riding positions are probably used to that sort of thing, though.

The moisture wicking material didn't keep my head dry, particularly, but did stop my hair from getting soaked, and dried out much more rapidly than cotton would have done once the rain stopped.  Performance similar to a Buff, in that respect.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #57 on: 10 July, 2012, 10:05:30 pm »
I notice Sealskinz are now making a waterproof cycling cap, it is available in large. Might be good for the current weather...
I think its a new thing, not sure if it is available to buy yet. And not sure what it is made of, or how warm or breathable it is. http://www.sealskinz.com/hats/waterproof-cycling-cap

« Reply #58 on: 11 July, 2012, 08:51:44 am »
I notice Sealskinz are now making a waterproof cycling cap, it is available in large. Might be good for the current weather...
I think its a new thing, not sure if it is available to buy yet. And not sure what it is made of, or how warm or breathable it is. http://www.sealskinz.com/hats/waterproof-cycling-cap

That looks reasonably useful.

LEE

« Reply #59 on: 11 July, 2012, 08:54:52 am »

That looks reasonably useful.

I'll be buying one as I've been very pleased with their trail hat this "Summer".  Very lightweight and foldable.  Hopefully it's the same material.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #60 on: 11 July, 2012, 11:11:57 am »
TGL has a waterproof cap, but we think it's a Bspoke.
Getting there...

« Reply #61 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »
Got my Walz cap today. Haven't tried it out yet, but will do so later. Not what I was expecting, but it will do the trick.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

fuzzy

« Reply #62 on: 12 July, 2012, 12:33:38 pm »
I got one of these as a freebie from the BMC stand at the pre tour expo in Liege. They are made of similar material to to jerseys but not as stretchy. Nice cap. Hincapie stuff seems to be available at Evans

A bit O/T but WTF is Matt Dawson doing here? :o

« Reply #63 on: 13 July, 2012, 05:47:48 pm »