Author Topic: Inguinal Hernia  (Read 39978 times)

Inguinal Hernia
« on: 09 May, 2011, 09:01:55 pm »
I've got an operation to undertake an Inguinal Hernia Repair in a months time.  I've also got a pre-operative assessment clinic in a couple of weeks time, at which I'm going to ask them some questions, but I thought I'd ask here as well, since some on here have probably had a similar operation.

The surgeon reckons that I need to take it easy for a couple of months after the operation.  He was of the opinion that this would encompass cycling, and I'm willing to avoid cycling for a couple of months, but wondered what advice others may have had as regards this.

Just to complicate things, I'm not sure how Insulin Dependent Diabetes is going to complicate this, and since I live by myself, I'll probably have to stay in hospital for at least 24 hours after the operation (otherwise in all likelihood I could go home the same day).

I'm also going to have to book Talisker into Prison the local cattery, so he gets his kitty noms, and daily hyperthyroid pills (we're a fine pair for drugs consumption!)

Interestingly the Surgeon didn't seem to be at all concerned about the operation, he said he's done over 13000 of them in his career!  (He's retiring fairly soon).
Actually, it is rocket science.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Hernia Repair Operation
« Reply #1 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:22:56 pm »
Your diabetes probably means they'll keep you overnight. That's probaly good cos
You'll be looked after
You can get decent pain relief
You won't escape until most of the anaesthetic is out of your system.

My cycling companions have had widely different experiences.
One divorcee was home alone in dreadful pain, crying and not coping. It was horrible being hundreds of miles away as we were on the phone.
One chap went home the same day to his wife, had minimal discomfort and walked to the newsagent within 48 hours of the op. He eschewed most of his painkillers.
One chap had quite bad pain for around 10 days.
My Dad took several weeks to recover but he's older and had complicated surgery.

People vary enormously.
Expect six weeks off the bike.
Hope yours goes smoothly.

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:25:59 pm »
Tim just get yourself sorted no rush....
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:35:00 pm »
Talisker is the most complicated bit of the whole thing!  I'll take him into the cattery the day before, but depending on how well things go, I'll have to drive around a few days after to pick him up.  Normally I'd cycle around there, but I think cycling a day or two after would be a seriously bad idea!

The cattery is pretty good, so I suspect that if I can't go around for a few days, then happily keep him there until I can pick him up.

I'm not going to cycle until I'm sure it's OK, since I suspect that if things haven't been given a long enough time to heal, then there's going to be a bigger risk of a re-occurrence.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:43:16 pm »
I had a minor inguinal tear, hadn’t fully herniated yet, but it was predicted that it would given my activity levels (I was playing 5-a-side football weekly, and cycling regularly) which was likely secondary to an operation down there when I was in my teens, repaired in 2004.

I had open surgery with a nylon mesh repair, not keyhole, and was kept in overnight.  I did not cycle for 6 weeks after the op.

I found that any activity I was doing for the first time post-op (playing football, sailing, etc) would cause a bit of discomfort after the activity, presumably as adhesions were pulled around.

That’s about it really.  Not a big deal tbh.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:48:47 pm »
Hope it all goes well.  Pretty routine stuff, I understand.  Take care of yourself and listen to the doctors so you can get yourself right & back on your bike as soon as possible.
Getting there...

« Reply #6 on: 09 May, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »
Talisker is the most complicated bit of the whole thing!  I'll take him into the cattery the day before, but depending on how well things go, I'll have to drive around a few days after to pick him up. 

Assuming availability, I'm sure that can be worked around.
[Quote/]Adrian, you're living proof that bandwidth is far too cheap.[/Quote]

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 09 May, 2011, 10:00:30 pm »
Driving was out for at least a week iirc.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2011, 08:55:06 pm »
Tim, I know nowt about the surgery or the post-op recovery, and can't really offer to pop round and look after Talisker because there is rather a lot of geography in between here and there, but I hope it goes smoothly and the recovery is quick.

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:05:41 pm »
LOL, Talisker in the cattery is a fact that I'm resigned to.  I don't expect other people to know how to deal with feeding him a pill every day, it took me several weeks to get things sorted out!

I think the cattery knows me well enough that they'll accept a relatively open ended booking, especially since it's not a terribly busy time of the year.  Talisker may not be impressed by this, but he'll get over it.

Hellymedic's reply was interesting, and informative (Thanks).  Anywhere from a day to over a week for initial recovery.  Hopefully it'll be nearer the shorter end of that, but there's not a lot I can do to deal with that, other than hope.  I will however make sure I've got plenty of food in the house, so if it is painful to move about initially, I won't need to travel much.

Obviously if it stays painful, and I can't move much, beyond what the hospital tells me to expect, my GP will get a call!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:15:51 pm »
Don't forget the wonderful Meals on Wheels services provided by the local Indian and Chinese food outlets; in my part of Londonton, I can have a fresh, tasty, hot meal 20 minutes after my phone call.
Collect menus (and phone numbers) now for when you CBA to shop and cook!
Sickness is never cheap; be prepared to shell out for takeaways and taxis.

« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:18:59 pm »
... Sickness is never cheap; be prepared to shell out for takeaways and taxis.

Good idea!

I'm resigned to a taxi home from the hospital, but may cheat and walk to the hospital, since it's less than a couple of miles (even if though I need to be there for 7-30am).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #12 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:24:32 pm »
They are not 'takeaways'; they are Meals on Wheels, a vital service for the feeble , lazy and infirm. Right?

« Reply #13 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:28:33 pm »
In three years of living in my current house, I've used a local Chinese food place once, and that was when my brother and sister-in-law visited, and I walked around to pick it up (because it's about two minutes walk away!)

Making sure I've got telephone numbers and menus isn't a bad idea however.

« Reply #14 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:29:05 pm »
Tim

I have had two hernias, one either side, though I can't remember which type they were. (I was ~6 months old when I had the first and 5 when I had the second).

Being 20 odd years ago the surgical procedure has changed but I was effectively released from hospital early from the second one as I was too energetic on the ward.  :demon: I promptly got an infection in the wound once home. How to get a home visit from your GP at 9pm  :facepalm:

simonp

« Reply #15 on: 10 May, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »
Menus?  I only order about one thing ever. :)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2011, 11:07:01 am »
Tim - once you're out of hospital, if you need any deliveries of beer or any other essentials or even just food, just say the word and I can load up my trailer.   :thumbsup:

Hope it all goes OK.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #17 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:25:58 pm »
Well, mostly done and dusted now.

They put me under around 10-00am (I don't know exactly when), and I recovered consciousness at 11-15am, so barely an hour including all the anaesthetic and coming around time, which is an impressively short time.

Both the Diabetes and not having any one at home to watch me, meant that they kept me in for 24 hours, but otherwise I would have been able to leave at lunchtime yesterday.

The doctors said I could go home when they saw me just before breakfast today, but by the time I had the paperwork and pain killers, it was after lunch!

In the end I walked home from the hospital, since I wasn't in a rush, and it was a nice afternoon.  I've barely got any pain, although after not moving much this afternoon, the bruising had stiffened up a mite, so it hurt a little when moving about.

The hospital gave me a heap of different pain killers, most of which I don't expect to use to any great extent.

I have got a heap of staples holding things together, which I'll have to get the nurse at my GP to remove in ten days time, and I must avoid getting the wound wet, which is going to make showering interesting for a couple of weeks.

« Reply #18 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:29:13 pm »

I must avoid getting the wound wet, which is going to make showering interesting for a couple of weeks.

Duct tape..... the answer to everything...... ;)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #19 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:29:50 pm »
Mexican shower.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:31:38 pm »
I have got a heap of staples holding things together, which I'll have to get the nurse at my GP to remove in ten days time, and I must avoid getting the wound wet, which is going to make showering interesting for a couple of weeks.

Mepore dressings in an assortment of shapes and sizes should be available from your local pharmacy.  You'll probably have to ask for them.  I used them on my leg last year after the sustrans shark-bite incident, and they did an excellent job of keeping the wound dry in the shower, and while keeping the leg elevated in suboptimal weather conditions on my recumbent bicycle.

Shaving the area the adhesive is going to stick to is probably a good idea - they're pretty stubborn to peel off.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:37:55 pm »
Good to hear things seem to have gone smoothly; GWS!

Most wounds are pretty bug-proof after 48 hours so whilst avoiding soaking the wound is wise, a quick spritz and thorough, gentle dry with a scrupulously clean towel is unlikely to cause a wound infection. The bugs that naturally inhabit your groin skin (and won't be killed by surgical preps cos they live deep in the sweat glands and hair follicles) are much nastier than anything from a tap.

Go for strip-washing if you must and don't tell anyone I said a quick shower probably wouldn't hurt...

[EDIT] Dressings must be kept dry; I don't know if your wound is exposed. Wet dressings can fester big time...

« Reply #22 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:52:54 pm »
It's essentially got a waterproofish dressing on it, so as I understand it, a shower is OK, but as you say avoiding getting the dressing too wet is a good idea.  I've got several spare dressings, as well as a suspicious looking tool to give to the GP's nurse, to remove the clips.

From a "things creaking and aching when standing a certain way" point-of-view, a bath would be easier, since I could just lie back and relax, but I'll have to live with showering and washing at the sink as appropriate for a while.

Since I won't be cycling, I won't get half as sweaty and smelly anyway!

« Reply #23 on: 08 June, 2011, 08:54:33 pm »
Get well soon, Tim!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24 on: 08 June, 2011, 09:40:54 pm »
Aye, get well soon. There's heavy panniers of bike tat to be lugged to the seaside.

And I reckon the "suspicious looking tool" could do duty as a tyre lever. After it's been used on your staples, obv.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)