Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3888530 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22275 on: 01 January, 2019, 05:15:00 pm »
I wouldn't have sought it out, but we didn't bother with a cafe stop, and the rides start/finish from just outside a massive Morrison's, so as it was open I went in to grab a banananana and something for tea.

« Reply #22276 on: 01 January, 2019, 07:40:53 pm »
About a mile to the local shop and back. The thigh was quite stiff and painful today  :(
the slower you go the more you see

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #22277 on: 01 January, 2019, 08:30:40 pm »
First ride in a few weeks of more than a couple of miles.  Up the cycle path from Bognor to Chichester and then a meet-up with a few of the campaigners for the Centurion Way (which is under possible threat of diversion due to house building) for soup heated by a camping burner installed in a cargo bike. 

Exactly 20 miles.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22278 on: 02 January, 2019, 10:56:48 am »
I wouldn't have sought it out, but we didn't bother with a cafe stop, and the rides start/finish from just outside a massive Morrison's, so as it was open I went in to grab a banananana and something for tea.

My circuits all reflect café distribution.  Must be the Audax habit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22279 on: 02 January, 2019, 06:50:51 pm »
a quick 25km on my usual loop. Will try for more on Saturday, still sizing up my back.  After 2 hours on Monday it was aching this morning, now tight across the top, not sure how much of this is simly due to not having ridden the upwrong very much in the last year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #22280 on: 02 January, 2019, 08:09:02 pm »
I did. Went out to bag a Veloviewer square. Thought I'd be doing about 16 miles but it turns out my slightly longer route home is longer than I expected.

20 miles all up in the end. Cold for the first half mile and for the last couple once the sun disappeared

Feet were ok in my Northwave boots but silk liners and mitts weren't enough for my hands.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #22281 on: 02 January, 2019, 09:57:41 pm »
Best start to the year for ages…..but recognise the work needed. Still they say a little and often is the way to be.

Long time since I did a proper Mileater for the year.

Anyway thats two consistent days off the 365 total.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #22282 on: 04 January, 2019, 08:09:09 am »
Day 1 of a mini tour to the isle of wight with mini postie( 9 years old)  , weather good and some good cycling along old railway lines.  Some highlights.

-2 games of crazy golf
-27 miles done
-watching sam get the hang of his spd pedals ( a Xmas present)
- ending up in a field ( long story involving a closed cycleway).

All good :thumbsup:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22283 on: 04 January, 2019, 12:49:56 pm »
2km round trip to the shops, demonstrating that my lungs would be rated for cycling again if it was slightly less cold...

« Reply #22284 on: 04 January, 2019, 05:27:03 pm »
28 miles to bag another VV square. Was pretty cold but as long as I kept the effort up I was just warm enough.

I ran out of steam a couple miles from home though so was rather chilly by the time I got home.

I'm up on my target mileage for 2019 with a couple days in hand though so it's all good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

« Reply #22285 on: 05 January, 2019, 11:17:58 am »
Yes and was lovely. Got the "road bike" rather then my tourer out for first time in probably over a year. Was lovely to be on something light with slick tyres.

Just over 20km as very much working back to some kinda cycling fitness. Was cold and grey. Saw two and heard another two shoots, saw a hare run across the road and about another 100 yards up the road a cat that shouldn't have tried running across the road. Also saw a buzzard being mobbed by crows.

Didn't actually see another cyclist though.

Could have pushed on further but lots of real life to be taken care of today.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22286 on: 09 January, 2019, 03:17:21 pm »
40-odd with El Prez. Weather 3°C & bright to start with, ended up with 1°C, sleet, hail & strong wind. Very entertaining.

From my log for 9th Jan three years ago:
Tootle with DZ to see if heart works. It does, HRM doesn't but oesophagitis fierce.

ETA: TWAT. It wasn't oesophagitis.

« Reply #22287 on: 13 January, 2019, 08:46:05 pm »
200 km around my Yorkshire Grit route. Lots of pleasant lanes, but that headwind between Bilbrough and Barton was hard yakka.

« Reply #22288 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:03:20 am »
Just 18 miles Derby Worthington and back on the Route 6 trail.  Stop and brew coffe half way.   Not too cold so got away without the new shelter but the Jetboil blew out, so had to use the Windshield,   The Pizo ignition seems to have had it sparks in the wrong place,  Howver the pocket flint and steel lights it no problem.    Best I could manage having had a bad cold for a week.   

menthel

• Jim is my real, actual name
« Reply #22289 on: 14 January, 2019, 10:50:56 am »
80k in the Surrey Hills yesterday with the club. Bloody hilly with punctures, chains shipping and dehydrated club members to look after!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22290 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:25:34 pm »
Origami ride on Saturday, with a proper bastard hill to make sure I'd hacked the last of the grot off my lungs.

40km slog on Sunday with an omnidirectional headwind.

It's good to be back on the bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22291 on: 14 January, 2019, 12:27:02 pm »
It's good to be back on the bike.
:thumbsup:
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #22292 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:53:27 pm »
55k this morning. My usual philosophy with headwinds is that you ride the hilly bit of the circuit into them, with the idea that the slopes give you some shelter, then have fun belting home on the flat with the wind behind you.  Today the wind was nipping smartly round the sides and getting me anyway. Extra value this ride: heavy shower on last 5k. Got home dripping, sun shining again. Missus: "oh, is it raining?"

« Reply #22293 on: 14 January, 2019, 01:57:53 pm »
11 of us fighting the wind to obtain cafe calories. Good to be out and about. Return trip was fabulous.  New Brooks pro will probably settle down in a year or two.  ::-)
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #22294 on: 14 January, 2019, 05:00:54 pm »

Yesterday, just over 10 miles on the leccy tandem.

Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #22295 on: 14 January, 2019, 05:27:58 pm »
Just a couple of miles on the Brommie to the doctor's to pick up batteries for my hearing aids.  Oh, the joys of getting old!  21 again in just over a week!
Advena ego sum in Terra

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22296 on: 18 January, 2019, 06:04:32 pm »
usual chilly 40 km commute today (total) , but on the  way in, I decided to alter my seat a tad, so out with the hex key, (always a mistake when its -1 deg.  )  PING! went the bolt............BUGGA said I. Sat and thought for a minute, and had a look at Olive, thinking ''where can I pinch a long bolt from''  Luckily, fairly recently, I removed the handle bar stem, and fitted one of those locking collar/spacer things. This allowed me to 'borrow' the center star nut bolt, although I could have used it anyway, as the stem is clamped tight. Job done and feeling quite chuffed I carried on. 
On the way home I found I was having to trim the front mech a lot. oh bugga! the rh crank had come loose,. and I didn't have an 8mm hex key. I manage to nip it up with a smaller key, and a screwdriver, ::-) then limped home, via 'Ye Olde Bolt Shoppe', and the local  motor factors for some thread lock.    :thumbsup:

« Reply #22297 on: 18 January, 2019, 06:13:21 pm »
^
Cool problem solving  :thumbsup:

« Reply #22298 on: 19 January, 2019, 06:30:23 pm »
Did nothing Mon to Fri as I had a cold that was kicking off my asthma for the first four days and then last night had a thumping headache roll in that had me in bed by 7pm with a bucket next to me because I also thought I was going to throw up.

I then slept thirteen hours straight and after a morning of faff went out for a 35 mile bike ride. I was slow, and full of snot, and the hills seemed hillier than they ought. But I feel good now, just had a nice cup of tea to warm up with ginger nuts to dunk in it and once I can move my knees again there's a hot shower that I'm going to linger in.

I did go for a Veloviewer square but after first taking the wrong bridleway and then finding the correct bridleway was across a field of wet grass that was steep enough that I lost traction every second or third pedal stroke I gave up and will return either when it's drier or on foot instead.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22299 on: 19 January, 2019, 10:25:42 pm »
Along the old railway path from Bath to Bristol. On foot. We'll ignore the irony, because it's the 21st century. The great thing about walking that route is you notice loads of things you'd never see or explore on a bike. The remains of Saltford station with a curious slag heap at one end and a small, perfectly square pond just beyond it, full of very dirty water. A huge tree house up in the woods on the bank, so large I'd call it a tree complex. Probably the (abandoned) home of forest-squatters rather than a kids' den. And I met a group of about eight Celtic warriors, all woaded up, who'd captured a couple of Roman legionaries and were marching them back to Aquae Sulis to collect ransom money. Also saw two police officers (one proper, one PCSO) on the path towards the middle of Bristol, which is good. Unfortunately my left knee is rather unhappy now.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.